Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2016, 01:41 PM

169 posts, read 168,705 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerpyDerp View Post
I'll deny it because I've seen it with my own eyes. Our campuses are racially integrated and interactions (and relationships) between white and black students are plentiful. Politicians and certain pundits make their livings by portraying America as a white, racist nation, but it's simply not true. We're actually sort of tan and quite friendly and welcoming to one and all.

I live in a gated community, which some narrow-minded people would consider an attempt by white Americans to "get away from" certain ethnic groups, but if you strolled the sidewalks of my neighborhood you'll find plenty of black residents. Lots of Hispanic residents, Asians and Muslims, too. We're not trying to escape from anything, we just want to live in a nice neighborhood that is safe, well-maintained and served by good schools. Race is not an issue.

And it's completely understandable when you're deemed racist and privileged when you are neither. Judging people by their gender, residence and/or the color of their skin is foolish and wrong.
When people refer to "white privilege" it's not what you're thinking....again, another discussion for another thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2016, 03:15 AM

1,448 posts, read 1,186,979 times
Of course BLM are needed in the U.K.! Who else will fight against racist climate change?

Flights disrupted at London City Airport after Black Lives Matter protesters storm runway

Old 09-06-2016, 04:15 AM

27,133 posts, read 13,429,141 times
Quote:
Of course BLM are needed in the U.K.! Who else will fight against racist climate change?

Flights disrupted at London City Airport after Black Lives Matter protesters storm runway
I don't think nine protestors on a runway constituents a mass political movement and Theresa May has already said that she will look at any inequality in society.

Theresa May launches race audit of public services - BBC News

I prefer 'Fathers For Justice' at least they dress up as Super Heroes when they disrupt services or scale buildings.

As for the Police, there are lots of white people not that fond of them and most people welcome more versight of the police and independent bodies such as the IPCC being given more powers to investigate the police.

Old 09-06-2016, 06:15 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,014,042 times
Quote:

I'm not being funny but this protest makes a mockery of the BLM protesters in the US who really have something to protest about (ie police shooting people to death). This morning the BBC interviewed a young lady who was acting as the spokesperson for this incident and her 'reasons' for the protest were laughable, basically she claimed that 'black' people suffered from air pollution caused by aircraft more than 'white' people and when asked why she came to that conclusion she 'claimed' that more black people live close to airports!! How are we supposed to take this seriously! This does more damage to race relations than good.

Old 09-06-2016, 07:44 AM

1,448 posts, read 1,186,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
I'm not being funny but this protest makes a mockery of the BLM protesters in the US who really have something to protest about (ie police shooting people to death). This morning the BBC interviewed a young lady who was acting as the spokesperson for this incident and her 'reasons' for the protest were laughable, basically she claimed that 'black' people suffered from air pollution caused by aircraft more than 'white' people and when asked why she came to that conclusion she 'claimed' that more black people live close to airports!! How are we supposed to take this seriously! This does more damage to race relations than good.
It's just the latest far-left bandwagon to jump on. Hate the rich, hate capitalism, embrace globalism, demand reparations: think of it as Occupy Wall Street 2.0.

Old 09-06-2016, 04:03 PM

381 posts, read 277,269 times
The funniest thing is that all the protesters were white.Black lives matter indeed.The stupidity of some people never ceases to amaze me.

Old 09-06-2016, 05:41 PM

4,096 posts, read 3,719,938 times
The BLM movement just screams victimisation to me. Certain black people glorify ghetto culture and gangster rap and then cry about why there is a certain stereotype that can in the absolute worst circumstances cause an ignorant/fearful/unbalanced police officer to pull a trigger.

There's no place for BLM in the UK, it's just jumping on the bandwagon.

Old 09-06-2016, 06:23 PM

2,631 posts, read 2,049,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twiggidy View Post

This is correct. The elephant in the room is racism and here's the fact. In the US, many white people don't really like African Americans and try to get as far away from them as possible and are encouraged by their parents to not interact with them, and when they do interact they are usually treated different by their peers. The converse is true. Many African Americans don't really like white people and try to get as far away from them as possible and are encouraged by their parents to not interact with them, and when they do interact they are usually treated different by their peers. Just go to any high school cafeteria or college campus quad and watch this in action. THAT'S America. If any American on here denies this they're fooling themselves. We have awful race relations in the country because we have an AWFUL racial history in this country.

I'd argue not exactly as extreme in the UK, a good portion France, and maybe some other western European countries. Why do you think many African Americans go to the UK and France and never want to come back? It's because they get much better treatment because I'd argue that relations between British/French people are better with African "Americans" than they are in the US. Theory? Well, an African American traveller is educated and non threatening when they land on European soil and generally have an "assimilated look" to western culture. Interestingly enough, that same African American traveller will get side looks, followed, pulled over, etc in his/her home country.

I know one thing white americans hate most in the world is being told they're racist. It's a strong accusation but sometimes you have to step back and take a look in the mirror. And like I said, African Americans can be just as bad, but when you're in a community that's been disenfranchised since the slave days, you have to take a minute to understand. Whether you believe in that in another argument for another thread.

But it can't be denied, race relations in the UK, France, Netherlands, Australia, NZ, etc are much better than they are in the US.

PS: the shooting data. yes, greater than 90% of African Americans are killed by other African Americans (gang killings mostly. let's be honest) the data for the white american murder rate is about the same too. most white people are murdered by another white person is like 80%. Black murdering a white person is 14% and white murdering a black person is about 8%. The take away.......you are more likely to be murdered by someone that LOOKS LIKE YOU.
What a load of dung. Please don't lecture us from your ivory tower in San Francisco. You have no idea what the real world is like, or if you do, you have chosen to put blinders on and further the narrative that the media wants to milk for all it's worth. Contrary to what you write, there is no measurable flow of black people to Europe and life for minorities there is not all peppermints and incense.

Americans are quite sick of the racist card being pulled on them anytime some puke wants to end a discussion that he is losing or when he wants to further the victimization agenda. True acts of racism are actually quite rare. Stereotyping, not so much.

Just out of curiosity, why did you leave the murder rate for blacks out? Depending on the year, they are murdered at a rate of roughly 10x that of white people, as you noted, mostly by other blacks. There were 13 murders in Chicago just this past weekend. The media and BLM could care less. Why? If they really cared about black lives, they would be pushing the outrageous levels of black homicide to the headlines every single day. They don't. It only suits them when a cop shoots a black guy. People like you lap up the story like a kitten with a bowl of milk, but you have zero interest in all the dead black kids in Chicago.

/rant over

Old 09-07-2016, 01:49 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,014,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverhead View Post
The funniest thing is that all the protesters were white.Black lives matter indeed.The stupidity of some people never ceases to amaze me.
I think they are very young, it was quite funny listening to their 'spokesperson' on the TV squirm, there is something about being young that compels you to demonstrate against society. I think they need to think things through a little more next time and find something a bit more deserving to demonstrate against, after all there are plenty of wrongs in the world to demonstrate against including pollution, their mistake was trying to turn it into a 'racial' issue!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom