Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2014, 07:46 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jas182 View Post
Just like the English northern accent, I can't understand the Southern US accent! (Just joking, though not about the northern English accent part - I genuinely can't understand the northerners!)

You wanna know the really weird thing? I am a US Southerner - with a southern drawl (which I hope my kids and I never lose!). When I spent a week in Yorkshire last year, I had absolutely no problem understanding the accents!

I also really liked the people of northern England. They really reminded me of southerners (US southerners). Even some of their food was similar. It was great!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2014, 09:09 AM

9,588 posts, read 5,836,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summerwhale View Post
I find it funny. Me and my family couldn't hold ourselves when we were in Florida and a woman was shouting down the phone in all this redneck slang.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Yeah, I know what you mean - my husband and I got a kick out of some of the UK accents too when we visited there last year.

Diversity is always interesting.

I agree, Kathryn.

My parents are Scottish, and they predominantly socialized with other Brits and Irish when I was growing up, so I'm quite used to different Scottish/English/Irish accents. Even so, there are some I hear that make it difficult for me to keep a straight face.

Old 11-19-2014, 11:33 AM
B87

11,769 posts, read 10,589,947 times
Sometimes it sounds good. When I think of a US Southern accent though, I imagine the stereotypical one of someone shouting the name 'Bob' across the street and everyone turning round, and making that weird guttural sound that sounds like changing gear while talking :/

Old 11-19-2014, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B87 View Post
Sometimes it sounds good. When I think of a US Southern accent though, I imagine the stereotypical one of someone shouting the name 'Bob' across the street and everyone turning round, and making that weird guttural sound that sounds like changing gear while talking :/
Sorry to burst your bubble, but the vast majority of southerners do NOT sound like the guy on Slingblade.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sAgSUFT4cVk

Old 11-19-2014, 02:44 PM

9,962 posts, read 12,375,954 times
Quote:
Just like the English northern accent, I can't understand the Southern US accent! (Just joking, though not about the northern English accent part - I genuinely can't understand the northerners!)

Old 11-19-2014, 04:53 PM

2,173 posts, read 2,580,284 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
You wanna know the really weird thing? I am a US Southerner - with a southern drawl (which I hope my kids and I never lose!). When I spent a week in Yorkshire last year, I had absolutely no problem understanding the accents!

I also really liked the people of northern England. They really reminded me of southerners (US southerners). Even some of their food was similar. It was great!
Quote:
Originally Posted by P London View Post
Can't understand a word! They've even put subtitles on here:

Yorkshire Dialect - YouTube
Northerners drop the "thes"!

Old 11-19-2014, 05:58 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,336,832 times
Based on the video above, I think if I lived around the stronger Yorkshire dialect I could understand it pretty fast. But casually, I am sure I would be asking people to repeat themselves a lot.

Old 11-19-2014, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
Based on the video above, I think if I lived around the stronger Yorkshire dialect I could understand it pretty fast. But casually, I am sure I would be asking people to repeat themselves a lot.

That's how I see it - i could catch onto it pretty fast, I think.

Old 11-20-2014, 05:02 AM

495 posts, read 610,790 times
I notice some southern accent similarities with other UK accents or maybe ones found in Ireland.

Closer cousin to the Newfie Canadian accent and also some dialects of the New Brunswick Canadian maritime accent

Old 11-22-2014, 03:00 PM

657 posts, read 801,812 times
Quote:
Can't understand a word! They've even put subtitles on here:

Yorkshire Dialect - YouTube
Northerners drop the "thes"!
Interesting video, what part of Yorkshire is that guy from? Been up there a few times, and I didn't hear anyone who sounded like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom