Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2014, 05:24 PM

125 posts, read 163,380 times

Advertisements

That's blue collar bridge and tunnel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2014, 05:58 PM

657 posts, read 801,812 times
It's nice, I like it. Though it can sound condescending at times. I also don't like the word "y'all" just doesn't sound right.

As for your other question, I wouldn't say it sounds at all like any British accent.

Old 11-10-2014, 06:23 PM

6,485 posts, read 12,529,588 times
I went to high school and college in the south, and my high school U.S. history teacher once exclaimed that a southern accent is essentially an English accent slowed down.

There are both southern U.S. and English accents that can sound grating to me.

Old 11-11-2014, 02:44 AM

2,416 posts, read 2,021,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
I went to high school and college in the south, and my high school U.S. history teacher once exclaimed that a southern accent is essentially an English accent slowed down.

There are both southern U.S. and English accents that can sound grating to me.
The fact that your teach told you that don't make it so. US southern and any variant of UK English I can think of don't sound alike (I'm originally from London).

Old 11-11-2014, 06:27 AM

6,485 posts, read 12,529,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by modernist1 View Post
The fact that your teach told you that don't make it so. US southern and any variant of UK English I can think of don't sound alike (I'm originally from London).
I didn't say it made it so. It was just a lighthearted statement.

Old 11-14-2014, 08:22 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
The southern accent that one can find in North and South Carolina and parts of Georgia (especially the Tidewater regions) has strong influence from some English accents. I thought this was common knowledge but apparently not.

Southern American English - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CwwffKlvfOY

There's also a British influence to Appalachian English.
Linguistics 201: The Dialects of American English

Old 11-14-2014, 09:34 AM

4,361 posts, read 7,069,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenn82 View Post
Just curious what British people in general think about the way people talk in the Southern U.S.?

do they think it's similar to the basic British accent in anyway?

do they like it? or think it sounds stupid? and backwards?

(I especially would like to know what people from the south-west/bristol/somerset think and from the Borders/Northumberland think?)

supposedly the Southern accent was heavily influenced by these areas of England and Lowland Scotland also, in historical times.
Which Southern accent are you talking about? The Southern Tidewater accent (non-rhotic, dropping the "R") is VERY different from the Southern Piedmont or Appalachian accents (the "R" is pronounced, but the long "I" is drawn out).

For that matter, the Tidewater accent is fading away, due to the influence of broadcasting, mass media, and country music singers who uniformly adopt the Appalachian accent. For example, one would never guess that TV political satirist Steven Colbert was raised in Charleston, SC.

Old 11-14-2014, 03:48 PM

4,965 posts, read 5,686,527 times
I'd say it sounds interesting. Whether "good" or "bad" I find it depends on the voice. Some people's voices make it sound quite pleasant. Some sound too twangy. It isn't good on a chick with a high pitched voice.

Old 11-14-2014, 04:51 PM

3,400 posts, read 3,204,523 times
I find it funny. Me and my family couldn't hold ourselves when we were in Florida and a woman was shouting down the phone in all this redneck slang.

Old 11-14-2014, 05:51 PM

125 posts, read 163,380 times
The Tidewater South accent is the most pleasant accents to my ears, but I'm American. The British think that we all speak like rednecks and the south is triple distilled redneck to them. Their loss.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom