Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2014, 06:07 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,247,964 times

Advertisements

There was this wonderful series on pbs called the Story of English maybe twenty years ago. It followed the language from its origions to the modern variety. But one of the most interesting segments was on the time period around the 1500's into the 1600's. It started in I think North Carolina, and one of the settlement recreations of the early colonies. What they were showing was an example of the way English was spoken at the time, which has changed less there than other areas. The 'high English' accent hadn't happened yet. This was the age of Shakespeare and it was noted that there are rythems which don't work in what is now proper English. But read them in traditional Carolina and they do.

Perhaps because so many English who were poor were brought to the southern colonies early the versions of the language they spoke became the base for what became the southern norm. Most of the later migrations from other areas were concentrated in the northern areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2014, 08:20 AM

175 posts, read 202,077 times
I personally love the southern accents. Met a couple from the south while on holiday in Hawaii. Two of the most down to earth and humble people i have ever met. The other family from new york were the opposite. Not saying they are all like that from new york because you get your idiots everywhere.

Old 11-16-2014, 08:43 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summerwhale View Post
I find it funny. Me and my family couldn't hold ourselves when we were in Florida and a woman was shouting down the phone in all this redneck slang.
Yeah, I know what you mean - my husband and I got a kick out of some of the UK accents too when we visited there last year.

Diversity is always interesting.

Old 11-16-2014, 09:19 AM

7,480 posts, read 6,253,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summerwhale View Post
I find it funny. Me and my family couldn't hold ourselves when we were in Florida and a woman was shouting down the phone in all this redneck slang.
I once dined with two Scottish ladys on a cruise ship. After two meals, I found another table with folks that spoke English.

Old 11-16-2014, 10:18 AM

3,400 posts, read 3,204,523 times
Ha i'm sure you really struggled to understand them. The lanarkshire etc accent is terrible and probably impossible for someone not from Scotland to understand.

Old 11-16-2014, 10:20 AM

3,400 posts, read 3,204,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Yeah, I know what you mean - my husband and I got a kick out of some of the UK accents too when we visited there last year.

Diversity is always interesting.
Yes it was crazy the way she was talking. Thank god she was at a distance as we could not hold ourselves.

Old 11-16-2014, 10:22 AM

10,420 posts, read 10,822,779 times

Run out of Alabama! - Offensive cars - Top Gear - Series 9 - BBC - YouTube These guys talk funny.

Old 11-16-2014, 06:58 PM

1,895 posts, read 5,899,461 times
This is interesting- I have never thought that the Southern U.S. accent sounds close to an English accent, but I can see that the Tidewater accent may come close. I've always been told that the coastal Maine accent is most similar to (some) UK accents? Mostly because we are rural and remote enough to have retained some of the pronunciations and even some of the sayings of the English settlers of the 17th and 18th centuries, as well as our proximity to New Brunswick and Nova Scotia in Canada.
An example of this accent provided here by my uncle Andrew:

(Not the narrator, but the guy running the boat. )

Still fishing at 83 - YouTube

Old 11-16-2014, 10:11 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,654,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deerislesmile View Post
This is interesting- I have never thought that the Southern U.S. accent sounds close to an English accent, but I can see that the Tidewater accent may come close. I've always been told that the coastal Maine accent is most similar to (some) UK accents? Mostly because we are rural and remote enough to have retained some of the pronunciations and even some of the sayings of the English settlers of the 17th and 18th centuries, as well as our proximity to New Brunswick and Nova Scotia in Canada.
An example of this accent provided here by my uncle Andrew:

(Not the narrator, but the guy running the boat. )

Still fishing at 83 - YouTube
He's great. How I love that old timey Maine accent. It makes me wonder how close it is to the way the original English settlers spoke. Maine is one place that retains its accent, except for the touristy areas. Maine was settled very early with mostly English people.

Back to Southern accents--there are some words that they use that are the same, like reckon, probably more. I don't like a Southern drawl and have trouble understanding it sometimes but I don't know that much about different Southern accents. I do know that large parts of the South were settled by Ulster Scots.

Old 11-17-2014, 07:41 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
Here's the deal - Tidewater accents supposedly sound a lot like English (as in "from England") USED to sound - around Shakespeare's time. The English accent today isn't what was in place in the 1500s and 1600s in England.

That's how I've always heard it described.

One thing is for sure, the Appalachian and Mid Atlantic regions of the US have some Old English phrases and music that still linger in the language and that are uncommon outside of those regions.

Here's an example of Chesapeake Bay area accents:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AIZgw09CG9E

To a Southern American, this accent sounds closer to British than to American English.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom