Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2022, 07:32 PM

2,157 posts, read 1,446,058 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete98146 View Post
We have a few winners! It’s the Indians.
I'm surprised to read that. I've dealt with my fair share of Indians, and while I've have found many of them to be the biggest pains in the butt, they weren't loud, boorish or overly opinionated. They were quietly persistent, and inappriate in their demands for price cuts (At expense of ALL my profit) the tactics backfired, instead of cutting any sort of break, they had the option to pay full pop or leave. There is an art to negotiating and knowing who to negotiate with and how. They were tone deaf to that. Indians had better be careful about how they approach their hosts because once the stereotype is established, they will have a hard time shedding it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2022, 07:46 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,393,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ticking View Post
I'm surprised to read that. I've dealt with my fair share of Indians, and while I've have found many of them to be the biggest pains in the butt, they weren't loud, boorish or overly opinionated. They were quietly persistent, and inappriate in their demands for price cuts (At expense of ALL my profit) the tactics backfired, instead of cutting any sort of break, they had the option to pay full pop or leave. There is an art to negotiating and knowing who to negotiate with and how. They were tone deaf to that. Indians had better be careful about how they approach their hosts because once the stereotype is established, they will have a hard time shedding it.
I would agree that Indians are most in search of a bargain, for anything whatever it is.

Old 11-23-2022, 08:20 PM

1,042 posts, read 875,388 times
Isn't this just the opinion of you and someone else? I think it's crazy that you have everyone guessing your opinion. I, personally have found most Indians I know incredibly awesome. I find an "ugly American" vibe to this thread.

Old 11-23-2022, 08:49 PM

1,829 posts, read 810,819 times
I was going to say Canadians. They are very aggressive drivers.

Old 11-23-2022, 09:48 PM

12,722 posts, read 7,585,805 times
This reminds me of that video of the Indian family in Bali who stole all the furnishings in their hotel room and got caught on their way out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJek3UYOzRc

Old 11-23-2022, 10:02 PM

5,117 posts, read 2,166,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky3vicky View Post
Isn't this just the opinion of you and someone else? I think it's crazy that you have everyone guessing your opinion. I, personally have found most Indians I know incredibly awesome. I find an "ugly American" vibe to this thread.
Yes it’s just my opinion but like I said, if it weren’t so comically bad, I would have never posted it. Believe it or not, I have many very good Indian friends back I Seattle, so I know not all are bad. Not all Indians at this resort are bad. But there are enough loud, obnoxious and pompous ones here were it leaves enough of an impression to comment. And you know the sad thing? So much of the behavior can be forgiven with just a little smile!

One day, the Indian’s will learn not to stand up and yell across to their friends at a very crowded breakfast room at the top of their lungs. They’ll learn how to get into vacation mode and ask the person at the sun chair next to theirs “how is your trip going?” They’ll learn how not to treat the hotel staff as if they are their servants. They’ll learn how to blend in and come to the conclusion that others are also on vacation and it’s not all about them. They’ll learn to be graceful and charming, reduce the arrogance and actually look as if they are having fun. They’ll learn not to wake up and then prance around like they own the resort. Need other examples?

Traveling abroad is all about behaving and being an ambassador for your nation. If you act like an a$$, people notice and trends develop.

Vicky, if I notice it, I can guarantee the others at this resort are thinking the same thing.
If others are upset for what I write, so be it.

Last edited by pete98146; 11-23-2022 at 10:26 PM..

Old 11-24-2022, 10:18 AM

19,138 posts, read 25,356,008 times
It's really unfortunate that the OP--like so many people--has completely misunderstood the real meaning behind the term Ugly American.

The novel of the same name, from 1958, depicts the widespread failures of US foreign policy in SE Asia, and it helped lead to JFK's creation of The Peace Corps in order to try to correct these failures. In that novel, the hero--Homer Atkins--is the only American who actually helps the impoverished locals, even though he considers himself to be ugly as a result of his greasy, calloused hands.

Other Americans (as well as outsiders from other nations) failed to understand the natives of SE Asia, and failed to help them, but Atkins--The Ugly American--does help them. I think it's sad that people who have apparently never read that novel--or who failed to understand it--continue to use that term in an entirely inappropriate way.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Ugly_American

Old 11-24-2022, 10:28 AM

5,455 posts, read 4,062,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
This reminds me of that video of the Indian family in Bali who stole all the furnishings in their hotel room and got caught on their way out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJek3UYOzRc
Dang, I expected to see footage of them carrying out furniture.

Old 11-24-2022, 01:36 PM

9,175 posts, read 6,216,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTsnowbird View Post
Dang, I expected to see footage of them carrying out furniture.

I hope they missed their flight!

Old 11-24-2022, 05:21 PM

61,768 posts, read 87,244,588 times
A seasoned traveller won't behave that way. It's mostly new money/no class, "first" time travellers and people who finally feel that they can be "themselves" because no one knows or can recognize them in a foreign country.
People in groups are the worst.
They probably don't act THAT bad back home.
Some drunken British tourists have become a serious problem in Krakow. They yell, sing soccer songs at the top of their lungs, spill beer, harass other patrons, vomit on tables, grope waitresses and young girls, dance naked on tables and damage furniture, especially in hotels. Same on the streets, especially at night, puking, peeing and defecating on public spaces and yelling obscenities.

Some flights in Europe cost just few euros, food and booze is cheap in Poland and a "fun"weekend is much cheaper than back home.
Americans are just bad dressed, loud, leaving trash everywhere, opinionated and demanding.

Last edited by elnina; 11-24-2022 at 05:33 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel