Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2022, 12:58 PM

6,116 posts, read 12,599,484 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hefe View Post
Last time I was in Thailand several years ago, Russians certainly made their presence, & opinions, loud & clear to anybody. They look like Westerners but certainly aren't. My 3rd hand impression was that since then their economy has slowed down enough to limit their tourism, but I don't know. What I found shocking then at one rowdy coastal resort city, there were actually Russian prostitutes working in clubs aimed at Russian tourists.

I mean how clear could it be that a Russian mafia was trafficing young girls in virtual overseas slavery if they have to compete with the long established Thai domestic industry?
Bingo.

OP - lets hear it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2022, 01:02 PM

12,722 posts, read 7,575,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeaByrd View Post
I don't see the point of promoting hatred toward others this way.
Well, with the obvious exception of people wearing convertible travel pants, amiright?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hefe View Post
Last time I was in Thailand several years ago, Russians certainly made their presence, & opinions, loud & clear to anybody. They look like Westerners but certainly aren't. My 3rd hand impression was that since then their economy has slowed down enough to limit their tourism, but I don't know.
It isn't just their economy, it's the hurdles they have to deal with. They can't fly many places from Russia so they have to figure out weird itineraries where they make their way to somewhere like Armenia or Georgia then fly from there, but it is difficult to book that in advance because of issues with their credit cards and being able to transfer funds.

It can still be done, but the current political climate has made it quite difficult and expensive which in a time of tightening belts has greatly reduced the number of Russian travelers.

Old 11-23-2022, 01:04 PM

130,332 posts, read 12,105,905 times
I also say Germans, they can be very selfish when travelling.

Old 11-23-2022, 01:16 PM

316 posts, read 196,811 times
The Russians and Chinese are so yesterday in Thailand now but their numbers have diminished there due to current events. Not sure about down in Krabi as I haven't been since we almost got stranded there during Covid but from what I hear the Indians are the current winners in Bangkok and Pattaya.

Old 11-23-2022, 04:28 PM

81 posts, read 46,563 times
I'm probably wrong ... my wild guess would be Russians.

Old 11-23-2022, 04:49 PM

9,459 posts, read 5,221,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete98146 View Post
So I sit on a beach here in Krabi Thailand. As an American sitting next to another nice American family, we are in full agreement that we ugly Americans have passed the baton over to people of this nation.

I don’t know how to create a poll so I’ll see which one of you can guess the nationality of the new ugly travel champions?

They are loud, very very demanding, rude, grumpy looking and opinionated. It’s apparent the nice sweet Thai hotel staff does not like to deal with them at all, for good reason!

Any guesses?
French

Old 11-23-2022, 06:04 PM

5,117 posts, read 2,162,800 times
We have a few winners! It’s the Indians. Wow, just wow is all I can say. Was running this by my friend. He has a theory. He chalks it up to their caste system. However just because one is a Brahmin back in India, doesn’t mean we should all bow down to you outside of India.

One of the posters gave me a bad time for bringing this topic up. My reply is this. If the loud and boorish behavior was mild, I’d give it a pass. But I simply can’t ignore their behavior. They are driving everyone else crazy and the sad part is they don’t even realize it. That is the sheer definition of ugly.

So there we have it. Final answer: Indians.

Last edited by pete98146; 11-23-2022 at 06:13 PM..

Old 11-23-2022, 06:25 PM

316 posts, read 196,811 times
This influx began back when Thailand relaxed their entry requirements post-Covid. India is a short flight away. They replaced the Chinese who replaced the Russians.

Old 11-23-2022, 06:30 PM

1,699 posts, read 2,432,751 times
https://youtu.be/PJek3UYOzRc

Old 11-23-2022, 06:35 PM

2,299 posts, read 1,521,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete98146 View Post
We have a few winners! It’s the Indians. Wow, just wow is all I can say. Was running this by my friend. He has a theory. He chalks it up to their caste system. However just because one is a Brahmin back in India, doesn’t mean we should all bow down to you outside of India.

One of the posters gave me a bad time for bringing this topic up. My reply is this. If the loud and boorish behavior was mild, I’d give it a pass. But I simply can’t ignore their behavior. They are driving everyone else crazy and the sad part is they don’t even realize it. That is the sheer definition of ugly.

So there we have it. Final answer: Indians.
I heard that the Qantas airline staff have a special name for the flights to India (which are frequent as they are the second largest group of immigrants coming to Australia at this time) I cannot remember it but focuses on the habit of constantly buzzing for attention.

However, I have to say that Indians here are model citizens overall. My son works with a lot in his role in IT with a major bank. They will say that in many ways their lives were easier in India, having maids and so on. But they say they value the relative lack of corruption and can see where their tax dollars end up.

Somehow many nationalities, my own included, seem to reserve their worst behaviour for when they are travelling. But Americans are popular here. Especially when they ignore the local advice and tip lavishly!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel