Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 12:29 PM

17,444 posts, read 16,620,623 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvetters63 View Post
Easy to do in your 20s and 30s (I did it a few times), but hard to do when specialized after 30-40 years in a career, and now you find yourself competing with those 20-30 somethings for jobs that pay decent. Especially if one of the questions is "where do you see yourself in 5 years" and the answer isn't "working hard for the company, and adding value," but instead is "I'll be retired!"
I stopped working when our first child was born and, aside from some PT work here and there, stayed at home until our youngest had some solid driving experience under his belt. I returned to the workforce at 55 during the height of Covid. Employers were desperate for workers and I took advantage of that. I had a telephone interview and got hired on the spot.

You just have to see the opportunities out there. A person with 30 or 40 years of work experience probably has kept up to date with the latest technology plus they no longer have the expense of children to raise/provide for so they likely don't have to make nearly the income they did when the kids were home.

I've also seen how some people retire from multiple jobs during the course of their life. Some start their own businesses like pet sitting and lawn care. They might hire a small staff of employees to do the grunt work while they take care of the business end of it. Some might go on to get their professional licenses in Real Estate, insurance, financial planning. They have the maturity, personal and professional experience to succeed.

Would you want a 20 something real estate agent who had never bought or sold a home before advising you on real estate matters? I wouldn't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 02:08 PM

339 posts, read 193,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
If you new management job in retirement is to direct your wife on how to properly load the dishwasher...

You need to find a new gig or return to work.
Most times, I'm just working on putting a load in the dishwasher.

Old Yesterday, 02:36 PM

3,817 posts, read 2,341,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
I stopped working when our first child was born and, aside from some PT work here and there, stayed at home until our youngest had some solid driving experience under his belt. I returned to the workforce at 55 during the height of Covid. Employers were desperate for workers and I took advantage of that. I had a telephone interview and got hired on the spot.

You just have to see the opportunities out there. A person with 30 or 40 years of work experience probably has kept up to date with the latest technology plus they no longer have the expense of children to raise/provide for so they likely don't have to make nearly the income they did when the kids were home.

I've also seen how some people retire from multiple jobs during the course of their life. Some start their own businesses like pet sitting and lawn care. They might hire a small staff of employees to do the grunt work while they take care of the business end of it. Some might go on to get their professional licenses in Real Estate, insurance, financial planning. They have the maturity, personal and professional experience to succeed.

Would you want a 20 something real estate agent who had never bought or sold a home before advising you on real estate matters? I wouldn't.

My line of work (IT) they'd rather have a fresh out of college grad that doesn't need to be paid as much as someone with years of experience would require. Or they'd rather have a outsourced "tech" from India at pennies on the dollar.

Old Yesterday, 03:00 PM

17,444 posts, read 16,620,623 times
Quote:
My line of work (IT) they'd rather have a fresh out of college grad that doesn't need to be paid as much as someone with years of experience would require. Or they'd rather have a outsourced "tech" from India at pennies on the dollar.
If that's the case then you would probably need to switch to another line of work. A lot of people start second careers doing completely different things. I understand that you might not want to do that, though.

Old Yesterday, 04:23 PM

13,675 posts, read 9,756,845 times
Quote:
At my company (not software/IT, but still engineering/tech, start-up) the explicit directive is to hire the youngest people possible. They get paid less, are hungrier, willing to work longer hours, willing to tolerate abuse from management (because they don't know any better) and complain less. Older workers are only used as consultants or the village wise-man, for solving the most exquisite technical problems. Otherwise the thorniest questions in physics are outsourced to external consultants.

To put this in perspective, I'm one of the youngest of the regulars on this forum (solidly Gen-X), but the same age, or even older, than the parents of many of the workers here.

Old Today, 12:58 AM

172 posts, read 54,726 times
Mo Wang. lol

Old Today, 08:40 AM

35,133 posts, read 31,425,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
At my company (not software/IT, but still engineering/tech, start-up) the explicit directive is to hire the youngest people possible. They get paid less, are hungrier, willing to work longer hours, willing to tolerate abuse from management (because they don't know any better) and complain less. Older workers are only used as consultants or the village wise-man, for solving the most exquisite technical problems. Otherwise the thorniest questions in physics are outsourced to external consultants.

To put this in perspective, I'm one of the youngest of the regulars on this forum (solidly Gen-X), but the same age, or even older, than the parents of many of the workers here.
Many organizations want to do this, but then if that junior staff member tanks a critical project, they'd have been better off with the experienced hire.

Old Today, 08:59 AM

11,185 posts, read 9,806,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas863 View Post
You might want to reconsider the logic in your response because that could easily work both ways.

I don't know how the chores are divided in your household, but if the hubby were to do a halfa$$ job of cutting the grass, washing the car, vacuuming the carpet, washing the windows, or cooking dinner, you might want to think twice about complaining about these things being poorly done or they could suddenly become YOUR job using your logic.

As a kid, if I didn't do my chores properly, I got to do them over again.

That's exactly why I never complain about the work he does. The point is to stop all the complaining.

If you don't like the way someone does their job, do it yourself. Don't want to do it yourself? Then don't complain and just be grateful you don't have to.

In general, we each do the jobs that we do better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement