Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2024, 08:19 PM

17,444 posts, read 16,620,623 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
True, and indeed this is why many delay retirement in the first place. But as we've witnessed myriad times, not everyone can hold on to their job. People get pushed out. That can only be expected to negatively affect the relationship at home.
There are other jobs. If you get pushed out from one job you can go to another. Redefine yourself if you have to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2024, 08:47 PM

7,214 posts, read 4,605,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wile E. Coyote View Post
Otter once described that job as doing something close to nothing, having her own private office, having a ton of time off and being able to pursue all her outside activities at the same time as working. I do not know what job that was... Even when I worked at the Rec Dept it was nothing like that.

I think she made the right choice when she decided not to go back to the office during the worst of Covid and rather to stay home with her seriously ill cat. She might have ended up very ill herself or even dead. You cannot know what might have happened.

I think the problem is once you retire then Unretiring is virtually impossible. My BIL did it but he was only retired 1 year. He went back for an additional 18 years consulting at 60.

I am taking note of the Otter example as a reason to keep going at least until FRA. At 67 I will only need to deal with 10-15 years of retirement and not 30 years. I won't feel as though I need to justify my existence. It will be just another aspect of life to get through (hopefully gracefully).
I retired at 58 but have taught an online college class and consulted in my former career. There’s definitely a middle ground to all or nothing.

Old 05-07-2024, 09:32 PM

7,712 posts, read 3,329,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
I retired at 58 but have taught an online college class and consulted in my former career. There’s definitely a middle ground to all or nothing.
My marriage did not last anywhere near as long as yours did and I virtually had to start from ground zero at 30 and put myself through night school and so I did not start my career until 35. I am not on your timeline. I think we had this same conversation the other day. Just because you are a certain age does not mean you can automatically afford to retire. I will retire when I think I have a chance of affording it. This forum continually reinforces that concept. When I was married I thought we would retire at 55 (and we probably would have). From the sounds of it you had a nice marriage. I'm sorry it ended. I have a 17 year old sister who is still married to Husband #1 and she has had a very nice married life (in a material sense at least though putting up with Bob has been something else). I had an intense love affair that lasted ten years and I would not trade that experience for anything (though I wish it would have lasted). A lot of couples are really more business partners than anything else. Those seem to be the type of alliances that last and last...

Last edited by Wile E. Coyote; 05-07-2024 at 09:42 PM..

Old 05-08-2024, 04:51 AM

6,508 posts, read 3,191,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
It sounds like the big challenge in retirement is finding something worthwhile to do, and I concur. Now that we live 30 years longer than we used to when SS was first instituted, maybe we should just keep working...
I understand what you're saying, but for many of us who have jobs that require a certain amount of physical exertion, you can't necessarily do a job at 60 years of age, that was relatively easy to do, when you were 30.

Old 05-08-2024, 07:00 AM

7,207 posts, read 9,357,987 times
If you new management job in retirement is to direct your wife on how to properly load the dishwasher...

You need to find a new gig or return to work.

Old 05-08-2024, 07:37 AM

3,817 posts, read 2,341,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
There are other jobs. If you get pushed out from one job you can go to another. Redefine yourself if you have to.

Easy to do in your 20s and 30s (I did it a few times), but hard to do when specialized after 30-40 years in a career, and now you find yourself competing with those 20-30 somethings for jobs that pay decent. Especially if one of the questions is "where do you see yourself in 5 years" and the answer isn't "working hard for the company, and adding value," but instead is "I'll be retired!"

Old 05-08-2024, 08:22 AM

11,186 posts, read 9,806,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
If you new management job in retirement is to direct your wife on how to properly load the dishwasher...

You need to find a new gig or return to work.
M husband hates my dishwasher loading, so I've allocated that task to him for the remaining 20 years of our lives. I say that if you complain about how I do the job, the job becomes yours since you obviously feel you are better at it.

Funny how little he complains lately.

Old 05-08-2024, 10:48 AM

7,207 posts, read 9,357,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
M husband hates my dishwasher loading, so I've allocated that task to him for the remaining 20 years of our lives. I say that if you complain about how I do the job, the job becomes yours since you obviously feel you are better at it.

Funny how little he complains lately.
That's good advice.

My wife and I have decided to partition tasks in Retirement. I plan the meals, buy the groceries, cook the meals, clean up the kitchen, do the dishes and empty the trash. I also maintain the cars and act as a full time tech support person to keep our electronic stuff working.

Oh and I'm also the designated spider assassin.

She does all the cleaning, clothes washing, gardening and she maintains our social relationships with the neighbors. We both devote a lot of time to our kids and grandkids.

My job is to play catch and help teach the grandkids everything.

Overall, it's working out well.

Old 05-08-2024, 11:15 AM

909 posts, read 671,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
I retired from my full-time job and tutor part-time on-line. I also watch a 4-month-old 2 days a week (Our godchild's baby).

DH is still working full-time. We both take off Friday and do a lot of 3 day weekend trips. We also do 2 big trips a year.

When he finally hangs it up-don't think too much will change. Still, take some trips. We do have separate interests. I will probably keep tutoring-I enjoy it and can work as much or little as I want. Usually take the entire summer off.

We are going away this Friday to check out some retirement communities we might be interested in, when the time comes.

Old 05-08-2024, 11:48 AM

7,214 posts, read 4,605,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wile E. Coyote View Post
My marriage did not last anywhere near as long as yours did and I virtually had to start from ground zero at 30 and put myself through night school and so I did not start my career until 35. I am not on your timeline. I think we had this same conversation the other day. Just because you are a certain age does not mean you can automatically afford to retire. I will retire when I think I have a chance of affording it. This forum continually reinforces that concept. When I was married I thought we would retire at 55 (and we probably would have). From the sounds of it you had a nice marriage. I'm sorry it ended. I have a 17 year old sister who is still married to Husband #1 and she has had a very nice married life (in a material sense at least though putting up with Bob has been something else). I had an intense love affair that lasted ten years and I would not trade that experience for anything (though I wish it would have lasted). A lot of couples are really more business partners than anything else. Those seem to be the type of alliances that last and last...
I’ve had 3 marriages since I was 18. I divorced all 3. I didn’t finish graduate school until age 40 so had a late start also. I didn’t leave any of the marriages with a bunch of money. Because my dad was too ill to work after age 53 and didn’t get to travel, etc with my mom I retired earlier with part time work in case my health followed his path. I wanted to have some good years in retirement.

I chose time over money as my pension is for only 15 years of service and 60% of my low SS was taken because of WEP. I had my kids young, then went to college and graduate school and then after a coworker was murdered by a mutual client I didn’t want to continue with social work so went to graduate school again. There’s many paths to the same destination.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement