Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2024, 04:02 PM

7,485 posts, read 4,737,453 times

Advertisements

My current sports:
51-60 (current): Basketball, volleyball, and tennis

My future sports by age:
61-70: Swimming, ping pong and kayaking/rowing
71-80: Snorkeling, billiards/snooker, VR exercises
81-90: Walking and Tai Chi
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2024, 06:51 PM

1,402 posts, read 743,280 times
I saw this a couple of weeks ago. I liked the message.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R4Ku9GnlzJI

Old 05-14-2024, 06:08 AM

10,635 posts, read 12,193,858 times
That video works for me… And will be me in about a year and a half… As of December 2025!

And I do not mean, sitting in a rocking chair on a porch for the rest of my life doing nothing. I mean, My time will be my own, and I won’t have any structured schedule forced me for the benefit of others.

Old 05-14-2024, 09:07 AM

6,368 posts, read 7,815,348 times
My replies below in bold, blue text font.

Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
Just curious.
So often some people speak of wanting/needing/preferring a set schedule in retirement...while others relish in having no commitments...

- How long have you been retired? What's your schedule?

Retired seven years ago, daily calendar is pretty full, except for Sunday afternoons and Fridays seem to have few activities, so those are free to do whatever catches my fancy.

- Do you prefer a set schedule, or do you relish NOT having time committed to anything you don't want to?

Various activities necessitate a set schedule, but I do set aside one day a week for "nothing". I purchase a calendar every year from Staples, one month a page upon which I write down all of my commitments. If I ever lose that calendar, my life would be over!

SLEEP:
-- Did your sleep schedule change? IF so, how?

Yes. Used to wake up early for work and retire around 10:00 or 10:30. Now I sleep until the dogs wake me up, or I have an early commitment

-- Did it shift back, so you're sleeping later? Longer?

No, and probably never will. Used to wake up at 4:15 on work days and with the sun otherwise.

-- How long did it take for that shift to occur?

Immediately upon retirement.

-- Are you sleeping the same number of hours, but the schedule of it shifted back or forward?

Don't know. Never quantified it. Nap about once a week, so must be getting less sleep.

SCHEDULE:
-- Are you/is your time more committed to activities/duties/responsibilities? OR less?

More committed. So much so that I often wonder how I had a life when I was in the working world.

-- How do you juggle those things?

Goes on the calendar. If the calendar is full any specific day, then nothing else gets added, or something gets cancelled.

-- How did you decide what to commit to and how much time you would commit to those things?

Just kind of happened. No conscious thought about what gets done and what doesn't. Of course, some things are more important, so they go on the calendar. Such as Sunday morning church. Nothing gets scheduled on a Sunday morning, unless it is something unusual or "special", such as Sea Cadet drill weekend.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old 05-15-2024, 08:52 PM

2,874 posts, read 2,074,529 times
My schedule is weather-dependent. If it’s nice, I always can find stuff outside to do. Today was nice so I was up at 7 and outside by 8. Worked for a few hours running the weedwacker twice (runs on battery so it has to recharge), sprayed for weeds a bit, did some hand trimming, etc. in at 11.

Lunch was pizza, nothing fancy. Allowed my food to digest and rested until 2 pm. Did a quick 10 mile bike ride.

Tonight, we had our monthly volunteer fire department meeting and training. We did water shuffle running three vehicles as we prepare for an attempt to lower our ISO rating. Big fun. Home at 8 pm, resting and relaxing.

Tomorrow will be more of the same. I’m redoing some drainage ditches and I’d like to get 10 ft completed. It requires me to remove the existing #57 rock, smoothing out the sides, laying landscape fabric, adding back the #57 following by a single layer of #1. I’ll use my little Kubota but, it’s a lot of manual labor.

Tomorrow night is gym night. We do a body pump class. I’m the oldest in the evening class but, there are plenty of older folks in the daytime class. I prefer evening and I’m in the very back so I have the best view of the little cutie girls. My wife is on the front row and she approves my location. lol. I’ve added muscle that I thought was gone and it feels so good!

Rain is in the forecast Friday so it’s like an off day. I want to take a run at organic chemistry just for the fun of it so I’ve located a free online class. I’ll explore that on Friday and update our finances.

There you go! A few typical days in my life. Boring ‘eh?!

Old 05-16-2024, 09:51 AM

7,485 posts, read 4,737,453 times
My comment on the video shared above is there is "Fun" option.

For some reason, the vid jumbled fun like hobbies, games and entertainment into Hard Work which is wrong. Fun should stand on its own and if the survey had a choice for "Fun", it would be interesting how many would value "Fun". I know I would over the other choices in the survey mentioned given my age. It would be different if I was in my 20s, 30s -- my choices would be "Marriage" or family and "Hard Work" instead of "Fun".

Also, the survey did not have an option of "Doing Nothing" so it was self-defeating.

Old 05-18-2024, 03:46 PM

2,892 posts, read 1,163,776 times
No schedule right now. Family priorities take priority for now.
I have plans once things simmer down - volunteering, (more) college courses, connecting with friends, and taking very good care of myself.

Old Yesterday, 08:22 AM

8 posts, read 10,449 times
I have a routine. I wouldn't call it a schedule, because I feel free to break it whenever I want. But I do have a routine: coffee + reading/Youtube to jump start my brain ... walk in the park with my dog, feeding the squirrels ... [option] ... second walk with dog ... [option] ... lunch ... [option] ... nap ... coffee + Youtube or internet ... third walk with dog ... [option] ... dinner ... [option] ... fourth walk with dog ... [option] ... shut down electronics at 9 pm, then read for the rest of the night.

The "option" sections get filled with whatever I happen to be into at the time - home improvement projects, writing, reading on the internet, texting, attending a class, whatever.

I don't have a schedule. I was thinking yesterday that I might benefit from scheduling social activities for myself, to get myself out of the house more. I do a little bit of that - jot things down on the calendar. But when the time comes, I'll often just skip, because I don't feel like it. So it's a very loose sort of scheduling, nothing I hold myself to. I prefer to kind of make things up as I go along, heh. I like the freedom of that.

Old Today, 04:50 PM

29 posts, read 5,374 times
Winter- Mid Nov-the end of April

Sun- Church & Potluck afterwards. Grocery Shop at Health Food Store on the way home
Tue- Community Center Organic Meal- $10 each= $25 for two meals. Usually meet up with friends
Tue- 1x a month, Food Bank Volunteer
Thu- 1x a month, volunteer for the Community Center Organic meal
Fr-Sun- SLEEP IN UNTIL NOON. Gardening at home

May-Oct. Same schedule but add cycling + bible study. We see friends more often
Cycle 3x a week for 2 hrs.
Sun- Church & Potluck afterwards
Tue- Community Center Organic Meal & Farmers Market
Thu- Bible study 7pm-8:15pm
1-2 Fridays per month- Meet friends for coffee

We don't see many people in winter. The problem is our home and car are solar powered. Winter we must use a gas generator which is very expensive so we tend to stay home. Or just go out when the sun peaks out and can charge the car. It takes hours to charge the car, very little time to charge the Electric Bikes but who wants to ride in the rain/show during winter? No one. We will usually have friends over 1-2x a month in winter serving only what we've canned since we don't get to the store. Firewood for heat and we use that to heat up our food. We live comfortably on $1500 a month but for 3 months a year, we are sorta home-bound during the snowy winters except on Sundays and Tuesdays. The drive into town is only 20 min round trip

Last edited by AuntEsther; Today at 05:02 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement