Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2024, 08:00 AM

21,984 posts, read 13,019,895 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangman66 View Post
Thanks for the depressing post, lol. If you cant do what you enjoy later in life, theres not a whole lot of motivation to keep going, is there?
No, not really!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2024, 08:21 AM

7,460 posts, read 4,704,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Sh*t happens.
Well if it hasn't happened yet, why be down about it?

Would you rather have a schedule of

24/7 - bedridden/sleep/get fed/sleep ?

Well what's the purpose of the thread then if we think "Sh*t happens"? You need to have a positive outlook on life my friendo. This month is a leap month. A reminder for change.

When "sh*t happens", adjust, adapt, and rebuild anew.

Old 02-05-2024, 08:42 AM

7,182 posts, read 4,576,439 times
Since I have seen bad things happen health wise to people it makes it all the more important that I use my healthy time to do the things that I want to since none of us know when that will end. I try not to worry about it as most in my family have lived independently until close to dying. My dad was an unlucky exception but no way to guarantee that won’t happen.

I’m also spending my money on the things that are important to me as retirement is my time to prioritize myself after a lifetime of helping others. Living alone has been an adjustment but I like it now and my dogs make great company.

My relationships with my kids and my friends are also a high priority at this point in time. I am especially grateful for my kids and how close we have become. It’s easy to find what’s wrong with our lives but much more satisfying to focus on the good.

Old 02-05-2024, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yippeekayay View Post
Well if it hasn't happened yet, why be down about it?

You need to have a positive outlook on life my friendo.
Sh*t HAPPENED, which is why my well-laid plans of many years (as Burns put it) went awry.

I'm working on rebuilding, but it's not easy. Another poster has reported that health problems upended her intention to spend hers traveling. Again, sh*t happens.

I'm just saying, don't be too sure or cocky about how great your retirement will be WHEN it happens. It's easy to dream... This question was meant for those ALREADY retired.

Old 02-05-2024, 08:57 AM

7,182 posts, read 4,576,439 times
Yippee, dream and plan to your heart’s content. Planning is half the fun. If something bad happens then you will have to adjust your plans. It never pays to borrow trouble and I think with your positive attitude you will be fine no matter what happens.

Old 02-05-2024, 09:09 AM

12,056 posts, read 8,449,416 times
Oh heck, part of my retirement involves building psychological strengths for when the inevitable happens. I always think if I'm going to die in bed alone I'm going to be the best darned company for myself I can possibly muster.

Already getting plenty of practice accepting things I don't like. It's like psychological weight-lifting for the next one. And everything else is gravy.

I know some schedule is healthy for me and I've always disliked it. So I've enlisted a couple of people to help me stay committed to those important things like exercise and meditation. It's easier for me when I'm responsible to someone besides myself.

There are so many fun and interesting things to do that I'd never get around to doing the must-dos if there weren't a tangible commitment. Other than that I follow my heart. Instinctively it feels like the life I've been designed to live.

Go ahead and rain on my parade. I'll grab my umbrella.

Old 02-05-2024, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
Yippee, dream and plan to your heart’s content. Planning is half the fun..
I'll agree with that; planning was definitely WAY more fun than the reality has proven to be! Anything was possible...then. So enjoy!

But notice how much time even "happy retirees" waste on C-D. That should tell you something! It's not all it's cracked up to be.

Last edited by otterhere; 02-05-2024 at 10:05 AM..

Old 02-05-2024, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Sh*t HAPPENED, which is why my well-laid plans of many years (as Burns put it) went awry.

I'm working on rebuilding, but it's not easy. Another poster has reported that health problems upended her intention to spend hers traveling. Again, sh*t happens.

I'm just saying, don't be too sure or cocky about how great your retirement will be WHEN it happens. It's easy to dream... This question was meant for those ALREADY retired.
Is semi-retired gonna work for you? I have been out of full work since age 42 when I had health issues so I tapered down my plan. I went from a nice salary to having to work part-time.

I went from hunting a big property in Hawaii to going to Thailand (which turned out a blessing in disguise). I went from thinking of being a surfing instructor in Hawaii to just walking on the beach and snorkeling. Like I said, adapt.

Old 02-05-2024, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yippeekayay View Post
Is semi-retired gonna work for you? I have been out of full work since age 42 when I had health issues so I tapered down my plan. I went from a nice salary to having to work part-time.

I went from hunting a big property in Hawaii to going to Thailand (which turned out a blessing in disguise). I went from thinking of being a surfing instructor in Hawaii to just walking on the beach and snorkeling. Like I said, adapt.
I enjoy what I can and am striving to achieve more. I'm just saying that what you think your retirement will be is a FANTASY while you're still working and haven't yet retired. It's easy to say "I'll do this this and this." I said it, too. Not always so easy to actually do. Something to keep in mind.

And this question was asked of retirees.

Old 02-05-2024, 10:23 AM

Quote:
I enjoy what I can and am striving to achieve more. I'm just saying that what you think your retirement will be is a FANTASY while you're still working and haven't yet retired. It's easy to say "I'll do this this and this." I said it, too. Not always so easy to actually do. Something to keep in mind.

And this question was asked of retirees.
In the scheme of things, all answers here are FANTASY if by your logic S happens. Doesn't matter if 62 and over or 62 under.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement