Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2024, 09:41 AM

10,616 posts, read 12,149,758 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post

Don't make life more difficult than it needs to be. ....
I second that!

Love that Flintstones reference...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2024, 09:47 AM

8,390 posts, read 4,411,822 times
1. Get bills and taxes paid on time
2. Get to the airport or train station on time
3. Return books and dvds to the library on time
4. Send various people birthday and holiday mails on time

That's it, that's the schedule. Nothing else is time-sensitive.

Old 02-04-2024, 10:25 AM

7,460 posts, read 4,704,671 times
5am-6am - Fish/Meditation
6am-7am - Breakfast/News
7am--8am - Gym/Sauna/Pool
8am-10am - Beach/Boat/Snorkel/Chat with the sunbathing ladies
10am-12pm - Walk/Mall/Lunch
12pm-5pm - Sleep
5pm-6pm - Beach Volleyball/Billiards/Tennis
6pm-2am - Sexy time/Dinner/Sexy time
2am-5am - Sleep

Old 02-04-2024, 11:59 AM

17,416 posts, read 16,579,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yippeekayay View Post
5am-6am - Fish/Meditation
6am-7am - Breakfast/News
7am--8am - Gym/Sauna/Pool
8am-10am - Beach/Boat/Snorkel/Chat with the sunbathing ladies
10am-12pm - Walk/Mall/Lunch
12pm-5pm - Sleep
5pm-6pm - Beach Volleyball/Billiards/Tennis
6pm-2am - Sexy time/Dinner/Sexy time
2am-5am - Sleep
This sounds like a very doable routine to me! You have a nice variety of activities, are you in an over 55 community?

Do you actually go fishing between 5am-6am?

Old 02-04-2024, 12:31 PM

Not retired, yet, but I'm thinking that our schedule will be something like this:

7:00am - wake up, feed and let the dogs out, put on work out clothes and take a walk to a local coffee shop. Have a cup of black coffee and maybe do some window shopping. Then walk back home.

9:00am - shower, get dressed, have a light breakfast, let the dogs out/in and go to an outdoor activity like pickle ball, bocce ball, corn hole, air rifle or the putting range.

10:30ish - take a class of some sort. Line dancing, art class, Cardio Drumming, etc.

11:30am - head home to get lunch and to let the dogs out.

12:30pm - go to the pool and hang out for a couple of hours and/or run errands.

2:30pm - go home, check email, pay bills, surf the net. Let the pups out/in.

3:30pm - bike ride or another class or maybe hit the gym

5:00pm - either go out to a restaurant for an early dinner or grill something on the patio at home. Feed the pups.

6:00pm - go watch some outdoor entertainment.

8:00pm - watch t.v. for an hour or so with lights out by 10pm.

The above is sort of a general idea of what I expect retirement to be like. We'll have to wait and see what the reality is. Every day we get a little closer to finding that out....

Old 02-04-2024, 02:37 PM

7,460 posts, read 4,704,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
This sounds like a very doable routine to me! You have a nice variety of activities, are you in an over 55 community?

Do you actually go fishing between 5am-6am?
First, that was just a plan; like you, not yet fully retired. My plan is to retire in a resort 5 years from now or at 55y. It's not an over 55 community though. People just use their condos in the resort as a vacation home (like me, at least for now). It's essentially empty. The gym has 3 people including me.

Yes on the fishing. I fish there when I'm there. It's my meditation, like yoga is to other folks. It's just 535 steps (1,175 feet) away from the door.

Old 02-04-2024, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yippeekayay View Post
First, that was just a plan; like you, not yet fully retired. My plan is to retire in a resort 5 years from now or at 55y. It's not an over 55 community though. People just use their condos in the resort as a vacation home (like me, at least for now). It's essentially empty. The gym has 3 people including me.

Yes on the fishing. I fish there when I'm there. It's my meditation, like yoga is to other folks. It's just 535 steps (1,175 feet) away from the door.

That looks really nice! We're in our late 50's and retirement is getting closer for us. I want low maintenance and lots of fun things to do.

Old 02-04-2024, 03:44 PM

37,494 posts, read 61,466,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
- How long have you been retired?
I got my pension and retired in 2001. So I guess 23 years ago.

Quote:
... What's your schedule?
I am not a morning person. I tend to stay up til midnight and sleep in til 9am.

If I have something planned for the day, or maybe an appointment, then I set my alarm. I don't mind getting up at 6am, if there is a reason for it.

Quote:
... Did your sleep schedule change? IF so, how?
-- Did it shift back, so you're sleeping later? Longer?
-- How long did it take for that shift to occur?
-- Are you sleeping the same numberof hours, but the schedule of it shifted back or forward?
When I was working, I spent a lot of years in the mental fog with jetlag. I am glad to be living in one time zone now, and no more rotating shiftwork schedules.

Quote:
... -- Are you/is your time more committed to activities/duties/responsibilities? OR less?
-- How do you juggle those things?
-- How did you decide what to commit to and how much time you would commit to those things?
It all depends. in March / April if I decide to tap maples, then mapling will be my priority for six weeks. Setting taps, then hiking out every day to check the taps and fill jugs, haul loaded jugs back to the house and tend a woodstove to boil sap until it is thick.

Between April and May our fiddleheads will be popping up. Before that happens I must hike out to that area of my property to check on them, to estimate when they will be coming up. I usually invite all our friends to come out and harvest all they want, each year.

Then I usually have a lot of pruning to do. Fruit trees and grape vines. I often take cuttings and put them in water to encourage rooting. Then as they sprout roots I post it online so friends who want some to plant, may come by and get them.

I have an apartment building with twelve tenants and two storefronts. One of the storefronts opens into an event venue that people can rent for parties. I get phone calls at any time from folks wanting to schedule it for a party.

I go into the city Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays, to the YMCA where I swim laps in the afternoon.

I serve on the board of two charities, and I volunteer for a couple committees.

Old 02-04-2024, 04:32 PM

475 posts, read 408,546 times
Retired 9 years ago, and tend to go to bed the same time each night, around 10 pm. Usually up by 5 or 6 a.m, but it varies a LOT. Really enjoy morning coffee and quiet solitude. My better half is a night owl and is not up till around noon. I go to the gym 3X per week, and have coffee after that on gym days. Read a lot and work outside on our acreage whenever the weather is nice. No other commitments other than routine household stuff. Just the way I like it.

Looking for ways to help in the community, but have not found anything yet that motivates me to action.

Old 02-04-2024, 07:31 PM

21,984 posts, read 13,019,895 times
Following just out of curiosity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement