Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2024, 03:05 PM

17 posts, read 2,142 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubyandPearl View Post
Unless you want to bring chaos to the congregation and earn the contempt of the women parishioners do not breathe a word of this amusing question to anyone, not even your friend.

He and his deceased wife are pictured in a place of honor in the church not so much because they were married but because they were founders.

Unless you yourself are a founder, marrying your friend will not make you one.

Did you know his wife? Personally it wouldn't bother me in that situation if he talked about her, unless he was comparing me unfavorably to her.

But if it bothers you, if you're trying to replace her rather than join him in a life together, do him a favor and don't marry him.

I already stated I would never bring chaos to the church. I’m joining him and to walk by his side to serve. I never stated I considered myself a founder. By no means. I was just asking about the big center wall picture. It will remain there as per the advice of another kind poster

Old 05-06-2024, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevergirl67 View Post
He is not ready for marriage if he still talks about his late wife all the time. You are not ready for marriage if you can't get over a stupid picture of his late wife, who was a co-founder of the church.

This wedding is folly.
Thanks for your opinion. I appreciate it. It’s not a stupid picture. It’s quite lovely. She was a wonderful woman. I feel bad for her.

Old 05-06-2024, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
Yeah the photo wouldn't bother me so much as the constant talking about his deceased wife would. I'd probably put a pause on the wedding plans and have a down-to-earth talk with this man. He may not even realize he's doing it.
Yes I agree.

Old 05-06-2024, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnazzyB View Post
Personally, with both folks having more years behind them rather than in front of them, I think its silly to expect either of them to just stop talking about their former partners and I don't think there's a way to gracefully ask him to stop. She was a huge part of his life as well as the congregations. But if you can't accept that (and I think that'd be a shame) than don't get married. You'll both be unhappy.

You are correct. I don’t think I said I can’t accept it. I’m very much embracing the fact that he had a wonderful marriage. That was one of the things I liked about him. It’s very unlikely we will just stop talking about our late spouses. Maybe even impossible. No problem there.

Old 05-06-2024, 03:24 PM

8,280 posts, read 8,681,604 times
It bothers me that you had to ask about the picture and then referred to yourself as the new sheriff.

Why would you even think the picture should have been moved?

Old 05-06-2024, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
I agree since she was a founder the photo should stay.
Perhaps the longer the two of you are together the less he will speak of his first wife. I have never had that kind of love so I really cant comment on that.

I loved your very kind reply. I completely agree. This marriage will happen and the picture will remain center of wall. We have wonderful times together and mesh beautifully. we’re extremely happy. I just posted a question and only a fragment of our relationship.

Old 05-06-2024, 03:41 PM

5,687 posts, read 3,185,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marblecake53 View Post
You are correct. I don’t think I said I can’t accept it. I’m very much embracing the fact that he had a wonderful marriage. That was one of the things I liked about him. It’s very unlikely we will just stop talking about our late spouses. Maybe even impossible. No problem there.
That's great. Sincerely.

Old 05-06-2024, 04:15 PM

2,098 posts, read 1,025,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
It bothers me that you had to ask about the picture and then referred to yourself as the new sheriff.

Why would you even think the picture should have been moved?
Yeah, agreed. The OP has since been trying to walk back most everything she said in her first post. The other one that stuck out to me was 'make her small in his heart.'

Old 05-06-2024, 04:39 PM

48,580 posts, read 34,966,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rokuremote View Post
Yeah, agreed. The OP has since been trying to walk back most everything she said in her first post. The other one that stuck out to me was 'make her small in his heart.'
I missed that.

Ouch.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 05-06-2024, 05:15 PM

5,687 posts, read 3,185,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I missed that.

Ouch.
Well in fairness to OP, she was saying as she had done regarding her late husband.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships