Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2024, 10:40 AM

24,741 posts, read 11,078,306 times

Advertisements

It sounds like OP has someone she points fingers at for everything. It is them versus her. She is not responsible for anything.

An outsider living with a family member twice her age. Body language allowing to see behind the facade. It may be time to move on.

The "only rich Americans learn English" gave me a chuckle as well as the pepperings of Italian words through out. Five years living in the ccountry should have brought her to fluency.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2024, 11:18 AM

22,643 posts, read 47,821,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post

The "only rich Americans learn English" gave me a chuckle as well as the pepperings of Italian words through out. Five years living in the ccountry should have brought her to fluency.
Yes, this all rings odd.

OP says:
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRicantraveler View Post
I am an American female at the age of 30. I am well eduacated to the point where I am currently studying for my master’s online. And, I have experience from work life in my country: the good ol’ USA.
But her English seems like a second language, and she claims "only rich Americans learn English".

I had thought her to be Puerto Rican based on the user name, which could make Spanish her native tongue.
But then she says:
Quote:
I just started studying Spanish about a week ago.
And at five years totally immersed, she should be fluent in Italian language AND local dialect. Most people are in a year or two.

Last edited by Pitt Chick; 05-06-2024 at 11:31 AM..

Old 05-06-2024, 11:28 AM

5,694 posts, read 3,200,293 times
You know...you say you're a well educated American 30 year old woman, but there's something 'off' about you. You make a LOT of grammatical errors. Its like English isn't your first language OR you're not as educated as you've indicated.

Old 05-06-2024, 11:29 AM

2,999 posts, read 1,674,782 times
OP you know the current political climate in Italy far better than I do but I think your problem with the bf's family is cultural not political.

English isn't taught in US schools? By your username I'm guessing you grew up in an NYC borough of Puerto Rican heritage? That might explain the lack of thorough grounding in English.

Anyway, whatever all the details of your education and family life, it sounds like your relationship with this man is coming to an end due mainly to his family objections. It's probably significant that he's 30 years older than you and still unmarried.

Just as an aside, my husband's nephew married a girl who's parents came to NJ from Rome, they were married in a traditional Italian Catholic wedding here in the US, then went with both sets of parents to Italy to be married again in front of grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins in the family who lived in Italy. This was only a few years ago and the bridal couple was in their twenties.

Modern politics are one thing, family cultural traditions are quite another.

Old 05-06-2024, 11:45 AM

740 posts, read 479,566 times
The OP stated that she is a Puerto Rican -American in a previous thread.

Old 05-06-2024, 11:54 AM

5,694 posts, read 3,200,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbeagles View Post
So that explains all the grammatical errors?

Old 05-06-2024, 12:25 PM

8,166 posts, read 8,391,154 times
I am 75 years old. My parents were immigrants to America. I am a natural born USA citizen. I have done some traveling and am very aware that many people in other countries dislike America’s global politics and in turn, American citizens. I have seen some Americans behave very poorly when I have been in Europe. I understand the general distain for Americans “in theory.”

However, you are an individual who has been in a relationship with a family member for quite some time and you feel dislike from the group because you are an American. While I find it difficult to understand how a whole family cannot discern the difference from a “general dislike” and a singular individual, in reality you are uncomfortable and feel emotionally isolated.

I can relate to your interest in making a life in a foreign country. I had dreams of leaving my family’s location (New York/New Jersey) when I was in high school and finding a kinder, gentler part of the world where people seemed to live out family values. So I left the east coast and went to college in Iowa. Yes, still in the USA, but in many ways in 1967 a different world that represented values I sought. I married a local and suffered for 11 years before I threw in the towel and acknowledged, at age 30, that my spouse and I grew up in very different worlds and would forever have different values. It was painful for a few years. But I learned that, unless you feel you are “home” in every way and on every day you will not be living your best life.

Some people can feel at home in any corner of our globe because they have inner peace and are surrounded by their “tribe.” You have neither inner peace nor own your tribe. Its time to move in the right direction. Figure out how to make that happen.

Old 05-06-2024, 12:35 PM

19,758 posts, read 20,326,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbeagles View Post

Well, that explains why his Italian family doesn't like her...lol

Old 05-06-2024, 12:55 PM

2,004 posts, read 991,596 times
Quote:
This situation with his parents and his relatives seems like it will not likely to change any time soon as Italian culture is known for these kind of behaviors.

It will never change because of your age difference, not because they are Italian. They see you as a usurper and a gold-digger, i.e., "how dare a foreigner take one of their men and be a user, too."

So break up with him, go get your own place (if you are living with him) go back to the US when you've saved enough money to do so, if that's what you want to do.

Old 05-06-2024, 03:31 PM

2,122 posts, read 1,332,195 times
OP, what do you see in this 60-year-old man? If he were young and handsome, we could see that many girls/women would fall for that. If he were rich, and if you were a gold digger, we could understand the reason why you fell for him. Or if he loved you dearly and stood up for you against the way his family treated you, we could understand that was because of love, you would want to stay with him. But from all the things you told us in your posts, I see there's no reason you should stay with this old man (close to retirement age) any longer. Leave him, leave Italy, come back to the USA, start a new life again, even without your family.

It's good to travel, or live in some other countries sometime to learn the world. But USA is your home country. You are familiar with the culture. You know the language much better. You can find a job easier. Establish yourself about finance, physical and mental health. Learn to be happy with your own self for a while first. And start to date again. Learn from your mistakes in the past.

You are still young. You can do it. I know it’s easier said than done. Every breakup is painful. But you are only 30. You are not married (so you don’t have to pay a lawyer for divorce). You have no string attached like children (so you don’t have to fight for custody or pay for child support if you leave him). You have so many years ahead of you. Try hard to make your life/future to be better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships