Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2024, 07:34 AM

2,083 posts, read 1,057,076 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastbias View Post
I probably wouldn’t date if I was a separated from my ex. I’d probably initiate divorce if I wanted to start to see other people.

This is a dealbreaker for me as well. If they can't be bothered to sign the divorce papers, I can't be bothered to waste my time with them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2024, 09:14 AM

20,777 posts, read 20,073,880 times
Quote:
I’m 5’7” I was told I checked all the boxes but I was too short for a woman that was 5’0”.

I’ve been ghosted a few times given no reasons and when I get the hint…I’m gone.

Most recently, I rejected a woman that wasn’t a good mother- her mom raised her child she didn’t seem to really care enough in conversation about her child who is older now.

Career/Job rejected another because she didnt seem ambitious at all.

I wasn’t physically attracted to another.

Lots of separated woman…kind of bothers me…I probably wouldn’t date if I was a separated from my ex. I’d probably initiate divorce if I wanted to start to see other people.
Did she not know beforehand how tall you are?

Did you tell the woman that she was not a good mother or what did you tell her as a rejection reason?

I was separated for many years before I got divorced. It saved me thousands of dollars. I get that this is not ideal but I am not losing all that money for some guy that may turn out to be another frog.

Old 04-18-2024, 09:19 AM

3,398 posts, read 2,825,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clevergirl67 View Post
This is a dealbreaker for me as well. If they can't be bothered to sign the divorce papers, I can't be bothered to waste my time with them.
Twice I have dated in this pool and it was no chance of reconciling but there as no indication when a divorce proceeding would take place.

I am really not in any hurry to remarry but that uncertainty to me and indecisiveness or lack of drive to finalize things hits at a lazy lethargic level for me. It got kinda awkward when they were also living together. Imagine getting dolled up in front of your possible ex husband for a night on the town with new boyfriend or FWB and coming back later that night or next morning. Awkward.

Old 04-18-2024, 09:29 AM

3,398 posts, read 2,825,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
Did she not know beforehand how tall you are?

Did you tell the woman that she was not a good mother or what did you tell her as a rejection reason?

I was separated for many years before I got divorced. It saved me thousands of dollars. I get that this is not ideal but I am not losing all that money for some guy that may turn out to be another frog.
I did…she preferred taller guys. She was a serial dater with many choices. Had a great date laughed and had fun. A couple days later I appreciated the honesty and went on my way. She didn’t like Shorter Dark and Handsome

I didn’t tell the other woman that she was a bad mother - who am I to say that - and it was my personal opinion I didn’t want to hurt feelings with someone that I didn’t know deeply.

Honestly I’m not familiar with the financial aspects of seperation. I know some hang on for hope for still date, or still live together and date others. If the new love interest is really interested and wants a deeper serious relationship it could be a recipe for disaster.

Old 04-18-2024, 09:34 AM

Quote:
I did…she preferred taller guys. She was a serial dater with many choices. Had a great date laughed and had fun. A couple days later I appreciated the honesty and went on my way. She didn’t like Shorter Dark and Handsome

I didn’t tell the other woman that she was a bad mother - who am I to say that - and it was my personal opinion I didn’t want to hurt feelings with someone that I didn’t know deeply.

Honestly I’m not familiar with the financial aspects of seperation. I know some hang on for hope for still date, or still live together and date others. If the new love interest is really interested and wants a deeper serious relationship it could be a recipe for disaster.
Thank you for your reply.

The separation thing - it can go either way. In my area housing is so expensive, it is not unusual that former couples still live together. I am with you - that is a no go. I had many first dates where the guys showed up in luxury cars and then they said they cannot afford to move out of the house they share with the ex. Uhm. No. No. No.

But if they don't live together and have no more contact than any other exes, I see nothing wrong with it dating someone like that.

Old 04-18-2024, 10:00 AM

Quote:
I was separated for many years before I got divorced. It saved me thousands of dollars.

I'm just curious about this, and of course you don't need to answer if you don't want, but I have always wondered how people can save money by staying married but separated for years? Is it a waiting game to get the other one to finally give up control of something?

Old 04-18-2024, 10:03 AM

Quote:
I am really not in any hurry to remarry but that uncertainty to me and indecisiveness or lack of drive to finalize things hits at a lazy lethargic level for me. It got kinda awkward when they were also living together.

I'm hoping my question is answered regarding the reasoning for staying married but separated, as that may change my mind on that subject, but I absolutely would not date someone who is also still living in the same house!

Old 04-18-2024, 11:45 AM

Quote:
I'm just curious about this, and of course you don't need to answer if you don't want, but I have always wondered how people can save money by staying married but separated for years? Is it a waiting game to get the other one to finally give up control of something?
health insurance, benefits through work, investments, real estate. It had nothing to do with control. It was just making financial sense for both of us to not get immediately divorced and lose out on a lot of money for all these reasons.

For example, someone who gets divorced right now and has a mortgage since several years with 3% interest, now buys the other one out of the house and has to refinance with the current stupid high interest rate. In my case I would not even have qualified for a loan but I was able to continue the current mortgage I had with my ex still on the title. Of course this only works if both are mature and amicable.

Old 04-18-2024, 12:28 PM

Quote:
health insurance, benefits through work, investments, real estate.

Ah, this makes a lot of sense. If I divorced my husband, he'd have to get his own health insurance and he has a lot of existing conditions. It would bankrupt him.

Old 04-18-2024, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Ah, this makes a lot of sense. If I divorced my husband, he'd have to get his own health insurance and he has a lot of existing conditions. It would bankrupt him.
If there is no betrayal or something horrible ending the relationship I think it is only fair to be kind to the person you shared house/bed with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships