Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2024, 08:14 AM

36,499 posts, read 30,837,764 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSykes View Post
If so, in what contexts and why? And do women have any reciprocal responsibility towards men?
I agree with those who said only in the sense they don't behave in a manner that would make a woman feel unsafe in their presence. If you mean by protecting them from danger, I don't know if it is a responsibility as a man but I feel it should be a responsibility as a human to protect the vulnerable from danger if you can.

I'm not sure exactly how or why a man would feel unsafe in the presence of a woman due to her behavior. Maybe the men could enlighten us on that, but yes it is reciprocal.

I'm really not sure why anyone would want to make others feel threatened unless there is something fundamentally wrong with them.

Old 03-14-2024, 09:56 AM

32,636 posts, read 47,986,069 times
They most certainly should not go around making a woman feel threatened. Perhaps not an obligation to make women feel safe, but at least be neutral and not blaring out threat level red.

Old 03-14-2024, 10:01 AM

61,659 posts, read 87,041,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reebo View Post
Other than not being creepy and not bothering women when they’re out and about, no. I can take care of myself, thank you.
I can handle those too...

Generally speaking, it's not responsibility - it's etiquette and manners. Basic decency.

Old 03-14-2024, 10:16 AM

20,708 posts, read 19,353,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reebo View Post
Other than not being creepy and not bothering women when they’re out and about, no. I can take care of myself, thank you.

This comment makes no sense. Not sure why the modern woman is this dysfunctional on this topic. The majority of men keep trying to tell you that there is a dangerous minority of men. We take precautions because we don't ask them to mind their own business because we know they only understand one thing. Your statement might make men who will do you no harm in the first place to be a bit more polite.

I would also add that most women, and men for that matter, have the benefit of such an appeal in a safe neighborhood. Ironically , where women have voting majorities in the city , they keep voting for soft on crime policies, again undermining the ability to protect everyone from this small minority of dangerous men .

Old 03-14-2024, 11:54 AM

6,548 posts, read 7,276,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSykes View Post
If so, in what contexts and why? And do women have any reciprocal responsibility towards men?
Its not necessarily only from other men but in general. For example, a woman on the side of the road with a punctured tire. No woman will stop to help. It is men that always stop to help change the tire, offer to call a mechanic if its something more complicated, and so on. If a woman is carrying something heavy you bet a man will run to help. If no man helps women in situations like these they are judged. There is no reciprocal feeling from society when it comes to women helping men on something only women should do but not the other way around. A man on the side of the road with a car will have no woman stop to offer him to help. A man will. A woman can be harassing, assaulting, or disrespecting a man and nobody, men or women, will run to help or call police. It's just one of those things were society expects men to take care of themselves perhaps.

Old 03-14-2024, 11:59 AM

6,548 posts, read 7,276,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
I'm not sure exactly how or why a man would feel unsafe in the presence of a woman due to her behavior. Maybe the men could enlighten us on that, but yes it is reciprocal.
Maybe not physical but in all other areas, yes. Reason why a doctor may request a chaperone, a taxi or Uber driver installing a cam, and so on to prevent any false accusations regardless of how often they happen or not. A woman can harass, assault, and disrespect a man in public and no woman will run to his safety, to assist him, or even call police. It’s not reciprocal unfortunately.

Like you said, no woman/man should threaten anybody. It would be great if everybody helped each other regardless of whether they are a man or woman.

Old 03-14-2024, 12:07 PM

3,566 posts, read 1,493,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onihC View Post
Its not necessarily only from other men but in general. For example, a woman on the side of the road with a punctured tire. No woman will stop to help.
Probably most of the time. However, just this past January I was driving in Montana on a ski trip when my car slid and got stuck in a snow bank. I was in a car of 4 people (2 guys, 2 girls, including me) and we had it under control but a passing car did offer to help, and in that car was 2 women. Maybe women are more likely to stop if they see you're in a mixed group. But that again goes back to safety. I also don't know any woman, either my generation or younger (and younger, don't expect guys to either ) that know how to change a tire. I'm sure they exist, I just don't know of any.

Old 03-14-2024, 01:11 PM

20,708 posts, read 19,353,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaikikiWaves View Post
Probably most of the time. However, just this past January I was driving in Montana on a ski trip when my car slid and got stuck in a snow bank. I was in a car of 4 people (2 guys, 2 girls, including me) and we had it under control but a passing car did offer to help, and in that car was 2 women. Maybe women are more likely to stop if they see you're in a mixed group. But that again goes back to safety. I also don't know any woman, either my generation or younger (and younger, don't expect guys to either ) that know how to change a tire. I'm sure they exist, I just don't know of any.

Its not maybe. Women tend to validate men as being safe for other women, and its based upon a good deal of truth.

Old 03-14-2024, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Its not necessarily only from other men but in general. For example, a woman on the side of the road with a punctured tire. No woman will stop to help. It is men that always stop to help change the tire, offer to call a mechanic if its something more complicated, and so on. If a woman is carrying something heavy you bet a man will run to help. If no man helps women in situations like these they are judged. There is no reciprocal feeling from society when it comes to women helping men on something only women should do but not the other way around. A man on the side of the road with a car will have no woman stop to offer him to help. A man will. A woman can be harassing, assaulting, or disrespecting a man and nobody, men or women, will run to help or call police. It's just one of those things were society expects men to take care of themselves perhaps.
I'm not sure how helping to change a tire or helping carry something heavy is a safety issue.
The average man does not need a woman's help to carry something heavy or generally change a tire. Helping IMO is based more on the need of a person, women will help other women or handicapped or elderly men.
If I see a stranded motorist, I will stop and offer the use of my phone or jack or jumper cables if needed if the person doesn't look sketchy. For women there is often the issue of personal safety in interacting with strange men alone in more secluded settings.

Quote:
Maybe not physical but in all other areas, yes. Reason why a doctor may request a chaperone, a taxi or Uber driver installing a cam, and so on to prevent any false accusations regardless of how often they happen or not. A woman can harass, assault, and disrespect a man in public and no woman will run to his safety, to assist him, or even call police. It’s not reciprocal unfortunately.

Like you said, no woman/man should threaten anybody. It would be great if everybody helped each other regardless of whether they are a man or woman.
I can see that especially in this day false accusations of a sexual nature can be a safety issue for men.
I disagree that no woman would come to a man's defense or rescue if he were being harassed or assaulted by a woman in public. I have seen many instances where women speak up and even get in physical scuffles since men can't very well physically fight back against a woman. Men on the other hand would probably find it amusing.

Old 03-14-2024, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaikikiWaves View Post
That is probably it. Women tend to be more at ease when other women are around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships