Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2024, 07:11 PM

66 posts, read 37,317 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Our annual is now $125 for full eEdition access.
Are you serious?
125 a year for 7-day e-edition?
That’s LESS than I’m paying BEFORE this increase they want.
How did you get that rate?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2024, 07:30 PM

43,347 posts, read 77,209,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn S View Post
Are you serious?
125 a year for 7-day e-edition?
That’s LESS than I’m paying BEFORE this increase they want.
How did you get that rate?
They offered it to me a couple of times.
All I had to do was cancel Sunday delivery of the print edition and I saved a dollar a week.

Old 01-19-2024, 05:55 PM

66 posts, read 37,317 times
Well, I wasn’t able to get the 125/YR rate, but when I threatened to cancel they extended me to the end of 2024 at the current 16.07/month price.
So a 5-minute call saved me about 80 bucks.

Old 01-20-2024, 09:43 AM

6,297 posts, read 16,105,628 times
Newspapers provided a valuable service, and it's horrible that they're dead and dying. I plan to launch an online weekly newspaper this year that will cover Raleigh city council news (and links to other info). I've watched every single city council meeting held in the last four years. They're like reality show episodes, but the decisions that are made affect everyone in Raleigh, and no one is paying attention.

Yesterday, a local TV news channel mentioned the new municipal building that was approved for Raleigh. It was a short, happy, light story. However, the city never should have approved it because there are so many empty buildings downtown. When it was first discussed years ago, it financially made sense. It doesn't anymore. Who will alert the public of those bad decisions? TV news focuses on very short stories, and they need visuals. Newspaper reporters, however, asked more questions, provided more information, and gave readers an opportunity to learn more about important issues.

So TV news may be cost-effective, but they rarely explain everything you need to know about what's going on. Lately, it seems they cover nothing but the weather and shootings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierretong1991 View Post
What do people feel is the most cost effective way to get local news?

Old 01-20-2024, 08:12 PM

343 posts, read 604,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebrentwood View Post

So TV news may be cost-effective, but they rarely explain everything you need to know about what's going on. Lately, it seems they cover nothing but the weather and shootings.
And what flavor milkshake Joe Biden had at Cook Out.

Old 01-27-2024, 10:40 PM

425 posts, read 420,104 times
I still read the Observer's site, but mainly if I'm at work and want to look semi-busy during a slow day. (I know a few tricks in the browser to scrape the news out from under the ”Please subscribe!” pop-ups.) I can't remember buying physical papers where I lived, since the mid 1990s.

Old 01-30-2024, 10:57 AM

2,679 posts, read 2,907,787 times
Quote:
Newspapers provided a valuable service, and it's horrible that they're dead and dying. I plan to launch an online weekly newspaper this year that will cover Raleigh city council news (and links to other info). I've watched every single city council meeting held in the last four years. They're like reality show episodes, but the decisions that are made affect everyone in Raleigh, and no one is paying attention.

Yesterday, a local TV news channel mentioned the new municipal building that was approved for Raleigh. It was a short, happy, light story. However, the city never should have approved it because there are so many empty buildings downtown. When it was first discussed years ago, it financially made sense. It doesn't anymore. Who will alert the public of those bad decisions? TV news focuses on very short stories, and they need visuals. Newspaper reporters, however, asked more questions, provided more information, and gave readers an opportunity to learn more about important issues.

Keep fighting the good fight. Drop the link when it goes live!

Old 01-30-2024, 11:32 AM

5,906 posts, read 6,976,613 times
I think one of the reasons they may be having trouble is because they can't do basic math.
Today, I received an email with a subject line of
"Ends soon: $1 for 1 month of unlimited access". The body of the email says
"99¢ a week for two months"

Old 02-01-2024, 11:08 PM

3,664 posts, read 3,946,649 times
Quote:

Please get city leaders to do whatever it takes to pick up the trash along EVERY SINGLE ROAD large and small in Raleigh.

I've never seen as much roadside trash as in Raleigh. Atlanta is immaculate by comparison.

Old 02-21-2024, 12:13 AM

2,623 posts, read 3,155,244 times
N&O used to have a stand at the state fair every year, giving away papers and taking subscriptions. Last time we were there, very few people would even take a free paper. The handwriting's on the wall when you can't even give your product away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary