Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2023, 08:34 AM

6,385 posts, read 5,509,871 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
You know the oldest Gen Xers are pushing 60, right? And probably had their first job delivering the newspaper back in the day?
And most Millennials are in their 30s; depending on metrics used some are a few years into their 40s.

There is a difference between never having seen/experienced an "old school" item and having seen/regularly used it in the past but now utilizing/embracing the modern alternative...

Now let me go charge my Ipod nano....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2023, 11:38 AM

334 posts, read 189,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
"Better ways?" Yep, Vinyl and turntables are back. You appear to be living in the past.
Says the man who listens to vinyl

Old 12-16-2023, 01:17 PM

370 posts, read 296,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post
And most Millennials are in their 30s; depending on metrics used some are a few years into their 40s.

There is a difference between never having seen/experienced an "old school" item and having seen/regularly used it in the past but now utilizing/embracing the modern alternative...

Now let me go charge my Ipod nano....
I read the N&O on my Zune.

That's about as up-to-date as the news in the "printed" edition. All of yesterday's news, tomorrow.

Old 12-16-2023, 04:23 PM

3,445 posts, read 2,825,179 times
I got the N&O for so many years, starting in 1986 (before that I read my parents' paper), I also got the Raleigh Times until it stopped circulation. Service started getting bad around 2012 or so when they outsourced their circulation department. One time when I didn't get my paper, I called for a redelivery and the person I talked to told me my address didn't exist and that's why I didn't get it (though I'd lived at that address for 10 years and had gotten a paper the while time I lived there). We moved to the mountains in 2016 for 3 years and when we came back, I re-upped. That lasted a few months before I canceled due to how thin the paper was, actually I think I went to Sunday only and then decided the crossword wasn't worth it. I was also a coffee and newspaper person, but it didn't take me long to adapt to reading the news on my laptop instead.

Old 12-16-2023, 04:46 PM

3,320 posts, read 5,576,507 times
If there is something I want to read in the Charlotte Observer (rare but occasionally happens) I can read it online through the Mecklenburg County library website. I am sure the N&O is available the same way.

Can't imagine why anyone would pay to read the news these days. Especially the extremely biased Charlotte Observer.

Old 12-16-2023, 07:39 PM

8,016 posts, read 5,869,580 times
The N&O was really pretty good when we first subscribed in 1999. They had a lot of local writers, and covered the LOCAL NEWS with those local writers.

However, along the way, they lost themselves. Less and less local coverage, more national bylines from other newspapers.

It's been at least 10 years since I cancelled them, and that was probably at least 3 years overdue.

Now, it's a shell of its former self, and certainly not worth the price of a subscription.

Old 12-16-2023, 10:51 PM

2,623 posts, read 3,155,244 times
We dropped our subscription to the Durham Herald-Sun about 15 years ago. We were in a crunch and had to cut back. Still get one off the rack every now and then. I love newspapers but they are dropping like flies now. N&O used to have a booth at the state fair every year, giving out papers and signing subscribers. The last time I saw, they couldn't even give them away.

Old 12-17-2023, 10:44 AM

1,322 posts, read 1,260,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotteborn View Post
If there is something I want to read in the Charlotte Observer (rare but occasionally happens) I can read it online through the Mecklenburg County library website. I am sure the N&O is available the same way.

Can't imagine why anyone would pay to read the news these days. Especially the extremely biased Charlotte Observer.
Not sure about Wake County, but Durham County library offers the service. The search engine isn't the greatest.

Old 12-17-2023, 02:12 PM

6,657 posts, read 5,601,352 times
What do people feel is the most cost effective way to get local news?

Old 12-17-2023, 03:39 PM

599 posts, read 333,870 times
Their customer service is abysmal as well. It's like they want to punish their customers. I don't know if that applies to all McClatchy papers or if the News & Observer is especially bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierretong1991 View Post
What do people feel is the most cost effective way to get local news?
My local news sources are generally local news broadcasts and the print edition of Indy Week. I don't love either of them, but they are there and they are free.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary