Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2024, 07:15 PM

43,432 posts, read 18,521,148 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Not really, many things were implemented for workers and the environment through the 60's, 70's all the way up to the current day. We are constantly learning new things that will make our plant workers safer, and new materials that are better for the environment.
And we all saw the UAW strong arming the manufacturers at the beginning of the year.
It may have started long ago, but it never ends.
But back then the US really had no global competition

Much different picture today - global competition and the US is lagging behind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2024, 07:32 PM

29,696 posts, read 14,791,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
But back then the US really had no global competition

Much different picture today - global competition and the US is lagging behind.
It's not really competition when one side has rules and regulations, and the other side uses the equivalent of slave labor.

The US focused on the next quarter, instead of the long game like China did.

Old 05-15-2024, 09:14 PM

43,432 posts, read 18,521,148 times
Quote:
It's not really competition when one side has rules and regulations, and the other side uses the equivalent of slave labor.

It's called "advanced robotics" so they don't have to pay "slave wages” to humans

https://tphuang.substack.com/p/autom...at-byd-factory

Old 05-15-2024, 09:15 PM

33,587 posts, read 37,225,140 times
Quote:

Do your research. The average wage for a factory worker in China is $26.00 per hour US. Not exactly slave labor considering the cost of living in China is, on average, 54.4% lower than in United States.

Old 05-15-2024, 09:23 PM

33,587 posts, read 37,225,140 times
One the main reasons BYD EVs are better are the blade batteries they manufacture themselves.

https://pushevs.com/2021/08/10/this-...f-competition/

No battery fires with the BYD blade battery

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CSGESKhtZD0

Old 05-15-2024, 09:39 PM

2,365 posts, read 981,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Desert Guy View Post
Who cares what it costs in China? Its 31K USD here, and we can get a decent domestic built, domestic designed ICE car here for less.

You are the one pitching low end, poor build quality, poor range Chinese EV cars here in America.

If an American is so lost from drinking the EV koolaid they simply must have a crappy Chinese EV here, that is on them.
Broski, you might want to actually try reading.
It ain't coming here broheim. That article was referencing Brazil, not here.

You can call it crappy all you want, it doesn't make it true. The reason for the tariffs is because Chinese manufacturers are selling a good car at an affordable price. It's an admission that we cannot compete in the free market so we enact our own subsidies and tariff the competition, then make wild claims about them subsidizing theirs.

Old 05-15-2024, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Like others have stated, comparing home ownership here to there is like comparing apples to oranges. Keep trying though, its entertaining.

I stated that food is plentiful, although agreed that healthy food is expensive...you must have glossed over that.

If i look out the window from the spot i'm typing this, i see my neighbors 16 car garage across the street. And i agreed, things are definitely getting harder for the middle class, why do you think ? Elections have consequences, and we are currently getting fleeced, at the moment, by the Democratic party, at some point in time it will be the other one. And some of the blame does go to the individual, keeping up with the Jones ain't cheap, been there done that. And yes our Gov't lies to us, often more times than we realize.

And yes, China is and always will be an economic enemy in my opinion. And you are correct, i've never been there, and could care less if i ever do. Although, it does look beautiful there. I have had conversations with my SIL, who couldn't wait to leave there, along with some members of her family.
All through the 80's and 90's I watched entire industries fold, to be shipped over to China. I watched countless number of people lose their jobs to them being offshored to China.
China has used unsafe , environmentally unfriendly practices, have stolen, or demanded propriety information to be given to them to get where they are.
Don't get me wrong, i blame our corporations, and politicians as well. They all frothed at the mouth to profit off of China. I only wish they had the long sighted vision that China has.

Here is a perfect example of how China undercut our labor force, and while treating their workforce like slabs of meat, it sparked their economic boom, and afforded them the state of the art facilities they have now, which again, no one can compete with .
https://youtu.be/fs0TzsV5NgU?si=UF_Wxmgd17K3_f65

Quote:
Food insecurity in the US ? Lol, I'll take that with a grain of salt, please. Over 40% of Americans are obese, so I find lack of food to be a stretch.

Food insecurity doesn't mean there's a famine. It means lack of access to food, whether it's because of being in a food desert or financial hardship.

Old 05-15-2024, 09:45 PM

Senile Biden must've forgot what he wrote a few years ago.

https://twitter.com/aBESTway/status/1790499480308965807

Old 05-16-2024, 06:12 AM

5,802 posts, read 5,130,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattja View Post
Also Biden from 2019...

Typical Joe.
LOLOLOLOLOL......Tell you all a secret....China does not import EV cars to the US. They are selling like hotcakes everywhere else, so there's no plan to come to the US. How is Biden being tough on China with something that is a zero???

Old 05-16-2024, 06:14 AM

5,802 posts, read 5,130,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Do your research. The average wage for a factory worker in China is $26.00 per hour US. Not exactly slave labor considering the cost of living in China is, on average, 54.4% lower than in United States.
It's easy for armchair pundits to simply fall back on old cliche to carry their "serious" argument. Let them be. No difference to China or anyone else if they get it right or wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies