Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2024, 04:45 PM

17,858 posts, read 13,784,149 times

Advertisements

Ya'll need to decide if they are fascist or communist indoctrination camps. Kids need to know whether to "doctor their papers" with stuff glorifying Mussolini and Hitler or Stalin and Mao.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2024, 04:49 PM

31,163 posts, read 22,192,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by enraeh View Post
Hitler Youth 2.0
More like Soviet era Stalinist

Old 05-13-2024, 04:56 PM

4,441 posts, read 1,730,031 times
No

Old 05-13-2024, 04:56 PM

30,145 posts, read 18,743,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
You're putting the cart before the horse.

First of all, college campuses have been hotbeds of leftism for probably a hundred years. Maybe more. This is nothing new.

But the reason for that is not because college curriculums turn impressionable young students into leftists; it's because students who are already leftists are more likely to go to college. This is even more true lately, resulting in a wide education gap by party preference.

And the fact conservatives continue to belittle higher education only means this phenomenon will grow more pronounced. The more conservatives belittle college, the fewer young conservatives will go to college.

This is terrible news for conservatives, because it is college-educated people who generally run society: They are society's lawyers and judges, engineers and techies, CEO's and business executives, their bureaucrats and administrators, and so on. Over time, more and more of these people will be liberals, and fewer and fewer will be conservatives.

Liberals are becoming the Eloi, and conservatives the Morlocks.
Complete BS- this is a type 1 logic error, in which you take as fact (incorrectly) that liberals value education while conservatives do not. I can state with 100% certainty that I have far more education than you and am a conservative. Interestingly, I was raised in a 100% democrat household. However, I went to college in the early 80s, at which time tolerance of other views and open mindedness prevailed. I would listen to what communists, Hari Krishnas, gays, straights, Christians, atheists, animal rights speeches, anti-Iranian protests, and several presidential candidates. EVERYONE was ALLOWED to speak- you could choose to listen..................... or not.

One simply needs to look at the patriotic zeal that was present on college campuses during WW1 and WW2. This was nearly universal, particularly in Ivy League colleges. There is no way in the world that we would see support on college campuses for the US if our nation was faced with the dangers of WW1 and WW2. In fact, I would not be surprised if many college students left the US to join the enemy in such a situation.

Now, over the last 60 years, college campuses have changed to have almost exclusively liberal faculty, which imparts their hateful world view on students.

There has been MANY PARENTS who lament that they sent a normal child to college, only to return as a far left loon. As long as colleges choose to breed hate and intolerance, they cease to be positive elements for a society. A nation cannot go on for long with its own students being taught to chant, "Death to America"!
Most of these kids were not raised to be hateful, anti-semitic bigots, yet they emerge from "hgher education" with those very sentiments.

Old 05-13-2024, 05:10 PM

20,907 posts, read 9,612,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Complete BS- this is a type 1 logic error, in which you take as fact (incorrectly) that liberals value education while conservatives do not.
In this very thread you are belittling US universities as indoctrination camps, which is merely a typical example of how conservatives have come to denigrate higher education. If you are belittling universities as leftist indoctrination camps, of course you're going to discourage young conservatives from going to college.

Quote:
One simply needs to look at the patriotic zeal that was present on college campuses during WW1 and WW2. This was nearly universal, particularly in Ivy League colleges.
WW1 and WW2 were exceptional circumstances. Outside of those events, nearly every major leftist movement of the past 100+ years has had its major support - and often its genesis - on college campuses.

Quote:
Now, over the last 60 years, college campuses have changed to have almost exclusively liberal faculty, which imparts their hateful world view on students.
That's because - as I have just said - there are fewer and fewer conservatives lately who want to get enough education in order to teach at a university.

In 2022, only 14% of republicans had a post-graduate education. For democrats the figure is 25% (source). If not enough republicans are getting a post-graduate education to be an effective force on college faculty, that is their own fault.

Quote:
There has been MANY PARENTS who lament that they sent a normal child to college, only to return as a far left loon. As long as colleges choose to breed hate and intolerance, they cease to be positive elements for a society. A nation cannot go on for long with its own students being taught to chant, "Death to America"!
Most of these kids were not raised to be hateful, anti-semitic bigots, yet they emerge from "hgher education" with those very sentiments.
Anecdotes schmanecdotes. There are also liberal parents who see their kids turn into conservatives.

Old 05-13-2024, 05:11 PM

39,335 posts, read 27,718,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
You're putting the cart before the horse.

First of all, college campuses have been hotbeds of leftism for probably a hundred years. Maybe more. This is nothing new.

But the reason for that is not because college curriculums turn impressionable young students into leftists; it's because students who are already leftists are more likely to go to college. This is even more true lately, resulting in a wide education gap by party preference.

And the fact conservatives continue to belittle higher education only means this phenomenon will grow more pronounced. The more conservatives belittle college, the fewer young conservatives will go to college.

This is terrible news for conservatives, because it is college-educated people who generally run society: They are society's lawyers and judges, engineers and techies, CEO's and business executives, their bureaucrats and administrators, and so on. Over time, more and more of these people will be liberals, and fewer and fewer will be conservatives.

Liberals are becoming the Eloi, and conservatives the Morlocks.
Wow, are you serious?

With all due respect, you probably should really explore your own sides' foibles, handicaps, and blind spots. Your post seems to be designed solely to make you feel better about yourself. And I am not trying to be mean.

Conservatives are not enemies of the liberals. We just want to know the differences between educated and indoctrinated. sheesh

Old 05-13-2024, 05:12 PM

30,145 posts, read 18,743,872 times
"Genocide" was...........

When the Nazis killed the Jews

When the Turks killed the Armenians

When the Romans killed the Celts in Spain

When the USSR killed Poles and Ukranians in the USSR

When the Japanese slaughtered the Chinese prior to and during WW2

It WAS NOT GENOCIDE when the US killed Germans and Japanese after the Japanese attacked and the Germans declared war.

HAMAS, the ruling political entity in Gaza, ATTACKED ISRAEL IN A MILITARY CAMPAIGN. This is a military response to an incursion into their nation and the killing of citizens of Israel.

Don't try to call a military response to being attacked "genocide". There are MANY MUSLIMS who live peacefully in Israel. Israel is not trying to kill them (as would be seen in an act of genocide).

WAKE UP- don't try to disguise your hatred of Jews to be masked by accusations of "genocide", as this IS NOT GENOCIDE. It is a MILITARY RESPONSE. Further, in a genocide, there is no negotiating state. Hamas, as the leaders of Gaza, could have surrendered. They chose to do battle with Israel and are suffering the consequences of a failed military assault.

WAKE UP!

Old 05-13-2024, 05:18 PM

3,000 posts, read 3,550,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattja View Post
The answer is the left ruins everything.

When I was in college 40 years ago free speech was still the norm. Communism was out and anyone who said they were a commie or supported commies would not have a lot of friends like in the 1960s.

I remember one day I was walking past the student union and I saw a bunch of posters against Zionism. I had no idea what Zionism was, but they had "Free Palestine" posters as well, so I assumed it was something to do with Palestine.

Looking at the supporters, it appeared to me that those people would be commies if communism was the "in thing" but are supporting Palestine because they need a cause. This was pre-Internet, so all the information they had came from speakers, pamphlets, and video tapes.

Note there was no talk of Jews directly. They were very careful about the wording they used. People were strongly Pro-Israel in those days (Hollywood made sure of that), so the left had to be careful with what they said.

So, this has been around for a while. Airhead students make great useful idiots and the ring leaders are never students themselves.
Has the Palestinian Authority ever had a government that believed in "freedom?"

Old 05-13-2024, 05:19 PM

20,907 posts, read 9,612,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
Wow, are you serious?

With all due respect, you probably should really explore your own sides' foibles, handicaps, and blind spots. Your post seems to be designed solely to make you feel better about yourself. And I am not trying to be mean.

Conservatives are not enemies of the liberals. We just want to know the differences between educated and indoctrinated. sheesh
Everything in my post was factual; I even provided links.

It is a fact that democrats are increasingly the ones who have college degrees.

It is also a fact that it is conservatives who are increasingly the ones belittling college education. Once again, the more conservatives who attack college education as indoctrination centers, the more they will discourage young conservatives from attending college.

It is also a fact that college-educated people largely run society.

Old 05-13-2024, 05:21 PM

20,220 posts, read 20,990,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
"Genocide" was...........

When the Nazis killed the Jews

When the Turks killed the Armenians

When the Romans killed the Celts in Spain

When the USSR killed Poles and Ukranians in the USSR

When the Japanese slaughtered the Chinese prior to and during WW2

It WAS NOT GENOCIDE when the US killed Germans and Japanese after the Japanese attacked and the Germans declared war.

HAMAS, the ruling political entity in Gaza, ATTACKED ISRAEL IN A MILITARY CAMPAIGN. This is a military response to an incursion into their nation and the killing of citizens of Israel.

Don't try to call a military response to being attacked "genocide". There are MANY MUSLIMS who live peacefully in Israel. Israel is not trying to kill them (as would be seen in an act of genocide).

WAKE UP- don't try to disguise your hatred of Jews to be masked by accusations of "genocide", as this IS NOT GENOCIDE. It is a MILITARY RESPONSE. Further, in a genocide, there is no negotiating state. Hamas, as the leaders of Gaza, could have surrendered. They chose to do battle with Israel and are suffering the consequences of a failed military assault.

WAKE UP!
This.
If Israel wanted to commit actual genocide, they have the means and capability to systematically wipe out their “enemy”. Period.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies