Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 06:41 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 25 days ago)

35,749 posts, read 18,091,770 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by warhorse78 View Post
I see it at work all the time. THey can't keep food like that in the house because their kids eat it all up, so they have no choice but to eat out. Either way, my statment still stands. Retail is dying because people don't have the money to buy the stuff anymore. I seen it myself in the mall today. Food court was packed, JC Penney's, Macy's, even Halmark was empty. Now, Bath & Bodyworks was packed, I'll give you that. But it is Mother's Day weekend.
I think you may have said that recently, or I've read that very similar statement somewhere else. Deja vu.

That's SO not how it works. You buy enough food to feed the family, and when it gets eaten, you buy more. Because if there's no food in the house to the point where an adult has to eat out, that means there's no food in the house for the kids. Rather than eating out, the parents should buy more food for the house.

That is like a roommate statement. There's no point in buying food at my house, my roommates eat it all up so I'm better off eating out.

For your co-workers, if there's no food in the house to pack a lunch, that means the kids don't have food in the house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 08:38 AM

27,332 posts, read 13,588,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
How about not going to fast food restaurants. The food isn't that great anyway.

British scientist John Yudkin published Pure, White and Deadly: How Sugar Is Killing Us and What We Can Do to Stop It Paperback back in 1972.

In response the US food industry paid their man, a scientist named Ancel Keys to discredit Yudkin, and Keys came up with the 1980's food pyramid promoting high sugar carbohydrates and condemning traditional diets and animal fats

The result has been sky high levels of obesity, diabetes and ill health, and it turns out that Keys was wrong and Yudkin was right, but then again that's how corporate America works whether it's tobacco or fast food.

Americans and the rest of the world would be better off without fast food, and you are right in stating that 'it's not that great anyway'.

The sugar conspiracy - The Guardian

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhON1RaysmA

Last edited by Brave New World; Yesterday at 09:27 AM..

Old Yesterday, 08:58 AM

78,652 posts, read 60,852,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
As usual, the CEO's of these huge corporations blame the workers behind the counter.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/mcdon...123138941.html

For instance, McDonald's NET income was just shy of 2 billion dollars for the last year, up 7 percent from the year before. The CEO of McDonald's makes around 20 million per year.

If you look at the other chains, you will find much the same type of numbers. Net profits and salaries for executives keep rising, while the executives point to the workers as the problem.
McDonalds has 150k workers.

Let's assume 100k work in the restaurants and they average $14/hr. and 1000 hours a year.

A $1 increase in wages is 1.4billion dollars. I hope that sums up the wage pressure issue for you.

P.S. If you really want to craft a solid argument about McDonalds being the "bad guy" then you should use the search function and look for a post by me in the last year or so. I pointed out what the problem is and you will never get anywhere by citing "total dollars" type arguments as they're generally poor when ascertaining things like reasonable profitability.

Old Yesterday, 10:39 AM

30,357 posts, read 23,827,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
The federal minimum wage in the United States was set at $7.25 per hour on July 24, 2009, and has not changed since.

Why people still expect OTHERS to work for $7.25, so they can buy a cheap burger??
Why do people still expect a minimum wage? You want to fix this, get rid of the minimum wage, entirely.

Pay people what they are worth, not force businesses to pay based on some clearly arbitrary number. The fact that it hasn't changed since 2009 proves that.

If you want a good wage, you have to, at the very least, act like you care about the job. If you accept the job, (which means that you accepted the pay), and then walk in with an attitude of 'I don't get paid enough to do this bs', and you skimp on some of your duties, because you are above all of that, then no, you don't deserve a higher wage.

Let the business decide the low end. If it's too low, no one will work for them.

I have long said that you can take 80% of the work force out of many jobs, and leave it to the 20% who actually work. Pay that 20% a good wage, and they'll keep your company running smoothly. The 80% who don't do their job, because they are lazy, actually cost the company money. It could be 'courtesy credits' that shouldn't have happened, it could be food being thrown away because it wasn't made correctly, or the order was given to the wrong person, it could be free meals given away due to a screw up.

Just showing up does not mean that one is entitled to a higher pay, nor does it mean that they are entitled to some number plucked out of the air by the federal government. If they don't work, they shouldn't get paid at all.

Old Yesterday, 10:40 AM

43,336 posts, read 18,466,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
The federal minimum wage in the United States was set at $7.25 per hour on July 24, 2009, and has not changed since.

Why people still expect OTHERS to work for $7.25, so they can buy a cheap burger??
You may want to look up the demographics of who makes that $7.25/hour....

1.3% of the population, ages 16-24 with no high school diploma.

Courtesy of the BLS reports.

Old Yesterday, 01:16 PM

18,236 posts, read 15,782,819 times
Yes, fast food prices have gone up, as they've done over decades, and as have costs for pretty much everything. I remember when a regular full-size candy bar was $0.10 in vending machines.

I eat less fast food than ever, cook more, and make healthy meals from scratch. In fact, I'm about to put on a pot of split pea soup, as I've been craving some. I make mine with a lot of vegetables.

Old Yesterday, 01:18 PM

11,791 posts, read 6,162,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Why do people still expect a minimum wage? You want to fix this, get rid of the minimum wage, entirely.

Pay people what they are worth, not force businesses to pay based on some clearly arbitrary number. The fact that it hasn't changed since 2009 proves that.

If you want a good wage, you have to, at the very least, act like you care about the job. If you accept the job, (which means that you accepted the pay), and then walk in with an attitude of 'I don't get paid enough to do this bs', and you skimp on some of your duties, because you are above all of that, then no, you don't deserve a higher wage.

Let the business decide the low end. If it's too low, no one will work for them.

I have long said that you can take 80% of the work force out of many jobs, and leave it to the 20% who actually work. Pay that 20% a good wage, and they'll keep your company running smoothly. The 80% who don't do their job, because they are lazy, actually cost the company money. It could be 'courtesy credits' that shouldn't have happened, it could be food being thrown away because it wasn't made correctly, or the order was given to the wrong person, it could be free meals given away due to a screw up.

Just showing up does not mean that one is entitled to a higher pay, nor does it mean that they are entitled to some number plucked out of the air by the federal government. If they don't work, they shouldn't get paid at all.
There is no doubt that the top 20% of employees in most industries produce 50% or more of the total work value. In the same way that the bottom 20% of employees take up 90% of a supervisors time.

Unfortunately, there are not that many aces, so you have to fill out your workforce with a lot of good average workers and then you are scraping the bottom of the barrel after that.

Old Yesterday, 01:22 PM

25,979 posts, read 18,974,548 times
Everyone saying, "Aww, that's okay, it's just fast food," probably needs to think a bit more clearly. What do you think comes next? And when your tofu and soy milk triples or quadruples, are you still going to be saying, "Aww, that's okay"?

Old Yesterday, 04:08 PM

5,974 posts, read 2,788,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by My2cents55 View Post
Fast food will soon be run by Ai/Robots. No minimum wage needed.
This.

And with this, companies will employ really poor asians (africans in the future) to build those robots overseas and pay them a couple bucks per day and with AI, AI will begin working for itself, self improving, writing new code etc etc etc.

We've managed to legislate our way out of the equation.

Old Yesterday, 04:31 PM

29,860 posts, read 24,990,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAN_Man View Post

We've managed to legislate our way out of the equation.

It's a giant race to the bottom. And there is no prize for winning this race. So it's not like we are missing much. Automate as fast as possible and don't look back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies