Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2024, 08:52 PM

6,150 posts, read 2,767,921 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
How many people still work for $7.25 an hour? Here in rural Oklahoma most won't work for less than $15 an hour. No one pays the federal minimum wage.

People that complain about the cost of fast food should cook at home. Much cheaper.
I agree I'm not sure who would work for those type of wages these days ahem that is a legal citizen of these United States.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2024, 08:57 PM

43,336 posts, read 18,466,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kell490 View Post
I have to admit I see long lines at fast food drive throughs people are willing to pay $15-17 for a burger, Fries, and a drink. What I find odd is people who have the food delivered the added charge $6-10 plus generally have to tip the person. Now have a big mac meal cost $30 with tax, delivery charge, and tip.

If Inflation was a problem why have we not seen a reduction in spending??
There is

Mc Donald's reported declining global sales. That's 4 quarters of declining global sales.

Major layoffs are happening in the gaming industry - Austin TX is getting hit hard with layoffs

Just read this site to see reduction in spending - via layoffs and bankruptcies

https://www.dailyjobcuts.com/

Old 05-11-2024, 09:00 PM

10,571 posts, read 4,098,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Hm. For those really struggling with money, a peanut butter and jelly sandwich takes about 1 minute to prepare. And it can be made with groceries purchased last week.

A large bowl of cereal, same thing.

That people are still purchasing very expensive fast food, indicates either they have no idea how to live more cheaply (and that's possible) or they don't need to.

Retail stores are falling by the wayside not because people are purchasing less merchandise, it's because they're buying it from Amazon.
I see it at work all the time. THey can't keep food like that in the house because their kids eat it all up, so they have no choice but to eat out. Either way, my statment still stands. Retail is dying because people don't have the money to buy the stuff anymore. I seen it myself in the mall today. Food court was packed, JC Penney's, Macy's, even Halmark was empty. Now, Bath & Bodyworks was packed, I'll give you that. But it is Mother's Day weekend.

Old 05-11-2024, 09:00 PM

12,411 posts, read 8,204,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
During the Covid shutdowns, I remember hearing that 60% of all food Americans ate were consumed outside of the home, prior to Covid. That was astounding. I am sure fast food was a significant part of that.
I'll tell you the story from that time when in a matter of days we went from huh there's not that much toilet paper on the shelve to being mandated to work 12 hour days and because I was not a senior citizen I could not get to the store early and the stores where picked clean during the day by the time I got off work. I was surviving on my earthquake stores supplemented by fast food drive up windows. And when I got the one day off every other week I did my best to replenish the earthquake stock which got its first tryout use as a COVID instead of an earthquake kit.

Old 05-11-2024, 09:07 PM

34,127 posts, read 17,188,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Hm. For those really struggling with money, a peanut butter and jelly sandwich takes about 1 minute to prepare. And it can be made with groceries purchased last week.

A large bowl of cereal, same thing.

That people are still purchasing very expensive fast food, indicates either they have no idea how to live more cheaply (and that's possible) or they don't need to.

Retail stores are falling by the wayside not because people are purchasing less merchandise, it's because they're buying it from Amazon.

Buying online does cut net jobs related to merchandise sold. It can be sold and shipped far more efficiently online vs when sold store by store.

Old Yesterday, 06:13 AM

26,809 posts, read 26,940,797 times
"Last month, Wiederhorn went on Fox Business channel to talk about California’s minimum wage increase for fast-food workers. He said prices would go up because “operators can’t afford it.”

"A federal grand jury this week indicted Andrew Wiederhorn, the former chief executive of the company that owns the Fatburger and Johnny Rockets restaurant chains, on federal charges alleging a $47-million “sham loan” scheme.

Wiederhorn, the current controlling shareholder of the publicly traded Fat Brands Inc., is accused of concealing millions of dollars in reportable compensation and taxable income from the Internal Revenue Service and evading the payment of millions in taxes, according to the indictment returned Thursday.

Company money — categorized as “shareholder loans” — was disbursed to Wiederhorn and his family “for their personal benefit,” according to the indictment. Some of that money went toward private-jet travel, vacations, a nearly half-million-dollar Rolls-Royce Phantom, other luxury automobiles, jewelry and a piano...".

Ex-Fatburger boss used company funds for Rolls-Royce and other luxuries in $47-million scheme, indictment says:
https://www.latimes.com/california/s...urger-indicted

Old Yesterday, 06:23 AM

27,332 posts, read 13,588,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by My2cents55 View Post
Fast food will soon be run by Ai/Robots. No minimum wage needed.

It's also worth noting that a significant number of US fast food chains are increasingly international and make the majority of their profits outside of the U.

Old Yesterday, 06:27 AM

89,311 posts, read 45,033,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristinas_Cap View Post
Try telling that to the impulsive “working poor” living in food deserts. Healthy food is inaccessible to anyone living in an inner city.
Whose fault is THAT???

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=um3UAbkUuGo

Old Yesterday, 06:28 AM

43,336 posts, read 18,466,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
How many people still work for $7.25 an hour? Here in rural Oklahoma most won't work for less than $15 an hour. No one pays the federal minimum wage.

People that complain about the cost of fast food should cook at home. Much cheaper.
1.3% per the BLS

Old Yesterday, 06:37 AM

27,210 posts, read 15,389,880 times
"Change back from your $100.00."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies