Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2024, 03:39 PM

15,944 posts, read 7,009,348 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elyn02 View Post
What you are referring to in the first part is description. That is one way to perceive the world. A rose can be red without me knowing what causes it to be red. A blossom can be in the bud without me knowing what came before the blossom. That is inherent. I can also perceive the world in cause and effect which is what you call nature. It just happens; it is inherent. In addition, I can perceive the world by identifying a problem and coming up with solutions. All of these abilities come from being human.

I don't understand the bolded so maybe that is why it feels like we are missing each other's points. Maybe when you want to discuss the description of an object or a concept, I want to discuss what causes it. That might be the disconnect.
You are making a point about being human, stating what is evident. I am not sure i see the relevance to the OP. Maybe you can clarify it for me?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2024, 04:08 PM

8,659 posts, read 3,853,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Our social psychological needs (and they ARE needs) take much longer to attain sufficient urgency to gain priority. We can live a long time without social approval but eventually, if we NEVER have any, we will endanger our survival (substance abuse, suicide, criminality, sociopathy, psychopathy, etc.).
There are psychological needs (such as autonomy and relatedness) that are considered in the same light as our basic physiological needs; however, again, I’m simply stating desire is not a need. That said, when psychological needs aren’t met over time, negative feelings may persist creating a susceptibility to mental health disorders (or mental illness/dysfunction may already be present) resulting in maladaptive behavior such as aggression or avoidance coping i.e. substance abuse.

Old 03-27-2024, 09:04 PM

63,777 posts, read 40,038,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
There are psychological needs (such as autonomy and relatedness) that are considered in the same light as our basic physiological needs; however, again, I’m simply stating desire is not a need. That said, when psychological needs aren’t met over time, negative feelings may persist creating a susceptibility to mental health disorders (or mental illness/dysfunction may already be present) resulting in maladaptive behavior such as aggression or avoidance coping i.e. substance abuse.
I must not have clearly communicated the relationship between our existing constellation of needs and the LEARNED desire for some externality (object, person, event, circumstance, or whatever.) The desire exists BECAUSE we have learned to perceive it as something that will satisfy some constellation of needs (whether physiological, psychological, social, or usually some combination).

Old 04-01-2024, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
The desire exists BECAUSE we have learned to perceive it as something that will satisfy some constellation of needs (whether physiological, psychological, social, or usually some combination).
Point (still) being, a healthy person knows not to act on such sans considering the consequences. They are able to distinguish between desire that motivates or inspires vs. that which is based in psychological need or dysfunction, such as impulsivity.

Old 04-01-2024, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Point (still) being, a healthy person knows not to act on such sans considering the consequences. They are able to distinguish between desire that motivates or inspires vs. that which is based in psychological need or dysfunction, such as impulsivity.
Desire does not come in different kinds. There is only one, wants are many. Desire always arises from want. When the self is content it is complete, no sense of want, and no desire. Agree that a person who is in control understands the consequence of desire and knows how to act with wisdom.

Old 04-01-2024, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
Desire does not come in different kinds. There is only one, wants are many. Desire always arises from want. When the self is content it is complete, no sense of want, and no desire.
You’re clearly speaking from a religious perspective (as if desire is a bad thing, in and of itself). However, relative to philosophy (and this forum), desire is never-ending and viewed as fundamental to life i.e. it motivates and inspires us, particularly relative to intellectual (curiosity) or physical (hunger and thirst) desires.

That said, even the desire to suppress desire is a desire.

Old 04-01-2024, 09:05 AM

Quote:
You’re clearly speaking from a religious perspective (as if desire is a bad thing, in and of itself). However, relative to philosophy (and this forum), desire is never-ending and viewed as fundamental to life i.e. it motivates and inspires us, particularly relative to intellectual (curiosity) or physical (hunger and thirst) desires.

That said, even the desire to suppress desire is a desire.
Desire is neither bad nor good. It is merely a symptom of want, which indicates an unbalanced way of being.

Old 04-02-2024, 04:34 AM

7,588 posts, read 4,156,645 times
Quote:
Desire is the same as a sense of lack of something. Money, love, prestige. When the desire is fulfilled, the lack stays. When money is plenty, anxiety of losing it fills in. When love is gained, fear of losing love sets in. It is clear none of these truly brings contentment, nor satisfy the lack.
Contentment rises from the self. The source of happiness is internal, not external to us. When you are content it is easy to give - empathy, compassion, generosity. When all you have is lack and inadequacy, there is nothing to give.
Quote:
You are making a point about being human, stating what is evident. I am not sure i see the relevance to the OP. Maybe you can clarify it for me?
Yes. In your OP, you are making observations - describing what is evident. What I am claiming is that fear of losing love, as the example in the OP, doesn't have to be the consequence of gaining love, or fulfilling the desire. You are describing, which is one way of perceiving the world. I am attempting to identify cause-and-effect relationships, another way of perceiving the world. Our approaches are different.

Old 04-02-2024, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elyn02 View Post
Yes. In your OP, you are making observations - describing what is evident. What I am claiming is that fear of losing love, as the example in the OP, doesn't have to be the consequence of gaining love, or fulfilling the desire. You are describing, which is one way of perceiving the world. I am attempting to identify cause-and-effect relationships, another way of perceiving the world. Our approaches are different.
Yes. I am stating that it is not always cause and effect, sometimes there is no cause and effect are only change in state. you might say birth is the cause of death. It is a change of condition and state. The old person still feels and remembers his past and childhood. we may be veering off topic, although another interesting topic.

Old 04-07-2024, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Desire is neither bad nor good. It is merely a symptom of want, which indicates an unbalanced way of being.
Your posts speak to an eastern religious concept re: a state of (rlung) imbalance whereby desire is the primary cause. However, philosophically (or psychologically), it is more than a fleeting indulgence, daydream or want, in and of itself; desires are at the core of who we are, and they are continual drivers of our thoughts, wants and (positive or negative) behaviors relative to such.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy