Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2024, 08:49 AM

45,336 posts, read 60,512,994 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
Your first link was a bear attack. So what. It was in a populated area

The second was a bear that broke into home. Yes, it broke into a home. Why do you suppose it was doing that. It was only a matter of time until the one this thread is about would have done it, probably when it missed the meal it came to get Those are clearly nuisance bears.
There is no evidence the bear in Cottage Grove was doing anything like that. People were feeding the bear. I seriously doubt they would be doing that if the bear was causing them any problems. Yes, they were feeding the bear, habituating it to humans, after being requested to stop. No, it hadn't caused them any problems. Yet.
This appears to be an angry wildlife officer who shot the bear just to spite the people who were feeding it. Which again I don't condone, but that is not a good reason to shoot the bear. I'm sure the officer was angry at the people whose actions and behavior forced him into having to shoot the bear

Anyway none of this explains why Gatlinburg Tennessee has hundreds of bears wondering all over the town including through crowded tourist areas and nobody even bats an eye at them. But in Oregon as soon as a bear wanders into town people start freaking out and calling 911. I just don't get it.
My responses in bold.

Yeah, no problem in Gatlinburg.
https://www.wate.com/news/sevier-cou...linburg-video/
Hundreds?

People who anthropomorph wildlife and do things like feed them are more of a menace to them than any hunter, who at least pays into wildlife conservation funds when buying a license and equipment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2024, 10:29 AM

15,413 posts, read 9,055,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
My responses in bold.

Yeah, no problem in Gatlinburg.
https://www.wate.com/news/sevier-cou...linburg-video/
Hundreds?

People who anthropomorph wildlife and do things like feed them are more of a menace to them than any hunter, who at least pays into wildlife conservation funds when buying a license and equipment.
If there is a video at that link, it doesn't play for me. But from the article.

Quote:
While spotting a bear in Downtown Gatlinburg is not uncommon, TWRA spokesperson Matt Cameron said some of the people in the video were dangerously close.

“When they started approaching it and chasing it with the camera and all that, it really put them in a dangerous situation,” Cameron said
Spotting a bear in Downtown Gatlinburg is not uncommon. Not uncommon means it is a common occurrence. Despite bear sightings being common in Downtown Gatlinburg and people engaging in risky behavior around them as is outlined in your link, I can't find one single instance where someone has ever been hurt by one of them. None. The worst that happens is that the bears get into people's vehicles or homes and make a mess. Hence the warnings. Hey, you better make sure your vehicle is locked up, or that bear is going to get inside it.

Bears are some of the most gentle animals on this planet. They are not even as dangerous as some breeds of dogs. Just enjoy watching them and stay out of their personal space and everything will be fine. Please stop calling Fish and Wildlife to come and destroy them. There is no reason for that.

Old 04-04-2024, 12:04 PM

Quote:

Spotting a bear in Downtown Gatlinburg is not uncommon. Not uncommon means it is a common occurrence. Despite bear sightings being common in Downtown Gatlinburg and people engaging in risky behavior around them as is outlined in your link, I can't find one single instance where someone has ever been hurt by one of them. None. The worst that happens is that the bears get into people's vehicles or homes and make a mess. Hence the warnings. Hey, you better make sure your vehicle is locked up, or that bear is going to get inside it.

Bears are some of the most gentle animals on this planet. They are not even as dangerous as some breeds of dogs. Just enjoy watching them and stay out of their personal space and everything will be fine. Please stop calling Fish and Wildlife to come and destroy them. There is no reason for that.
People Need To Stop Feeding Them. That's it and all it takes. Like someone said upthread, "a fed bear is a dead bear".

Why do you think every single wildlife agency in bear country (which is expanding) begs, pleads and cajoles people to secure their trash cans, take in their bird feeders and, for Gawd's sake, don't feed them?

I grew up in bear country Pennsylvania and know exactly what and why it takes.

Old 04-04-2024, 01:56 PM

23,259 posts, read 18,777,131 times
Quote:
Yeah. Bears have territories. Relocate it somewhere else and it might get killed by, or kill, another bear in that territory.
Bears are not territorial. Neither black, brown/grizzly nor polar. They may defend a source of food (kill or carrion site, their in-the-moment spot on a salmon river, a garbage can), their immediate personal space from a buttinsky, or their cubs from a threat (which might be another bear), but they don't defend an area per se. Habituation is not the same thing as territoriality. Yes, a bear may announce its presence in an area using things like mark trails and rub trees. A relocated bear is put at a major disadvantage because it doesn't know what environmental hazards exist in that area or where to find essential things it needs: food, water, shelter. More "local" bears in the relocation area will object most strenuously to added competition for those essentials.

It's bad enough that people don't consider bears or other opportunistic wildlife when dealing with their household garbage, gardens, or livestock, but its even worse to realize that some idiots even hope their property will attract them. They like the bragging rights and sleazy way to impress visitors. They can brag that they are pioneers brave enough to live in "the wilderness" and justify that they need to defend themselves from threats. Helps some particularly clueless justify owning and brandishing a "survival weapon" . I am NOT saying no one should own or carry a firearm in bear country. Many bear-savvy people can and do quite responsibly.

Last edited by Parnassia; 04-04-2024 at 02:14 PM..

Old 04-04-2024, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Bears are not territorial. Neither black, brown/grizzly nor polar. They may defend a source of food (kill or carrion site, their in-the-moment spot on a salmon river, a garbage can), their immediate personal space from a buttinsky, or their cubs from a threat (which might be another bear), but they don't defend an area per se. Habituation is not the same thing as territoriality. Yes, a bear may announce its presence in an area using things like mark trails and rub trees. A relocated bear is put at a major disadvantage because it doesn't know what environmental hazards exist in that area or where to find essential things it needs: food, water, shelter. More "local" bears in the relocation area will object most strenuously to added competition for those essentials.

It's bad enough that people don't consider bears or other opportunistic wildlife when dealing with their household garbage, gardens, or livestock, but its even worse to realize that some idiots even hope their property will attract them. They like the bragging rights and sleazy way to impress visitors. They can brag that they are pioneers brave enough to live in "the wilderness" and justify that they need to defend themselves from threats. Helps some particularly clueless justify owning and brandishing a "survival weapon" . I am NOT saying no one should own or carry a firearm in bear country. Many bear-savvy people can and do quite responsibly.
Kinda like being territorial.

Other than that quibble you and I are on the same page.

Old 04-04-2024, 08:23 PM

7,027 posts, read 4,889,008 times
Quote:
I know some states can and do issue violations to people feeding wildlife, especially if they've been directed not to.
Problem is, they always forget to make exceptions for feeding birds when they pass laws forbidding people to feed wildlife and tons of people feed wild birds. Any you know and I know people will never quit feeding birds. Then some smart lawyer will ask why such a law doesn't apply to ALL wildlife and well, there ya go.

Old 04-04-2024, 10:12 PM

6,364 posts, read 2,700,936 times
Quote:

You are obviously just trying to gaslight, but here you go. Took about 30 seconds to find this article.

https://www.knoxnews.com/story/news/...n/69586407007/

Quote:
The man walked into the kitchen of the cabin, located near downtown, and was surprised by a bear. It "charged the man and swatted at him causing serious injuries to his face and the top of his head," according to the Tennessee Wildlife Resources Agency. The bear also scratched his back, and he was treated at a hospital.
How about just stop feeding them realizing that they are in fact a wild and NON-Domesticated Animal.

Old 04-05-2024, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankNSense View Post
You are obviously just trying to gaslight, but here you go. Took about 30 seconds to find this article.

https://www.knoxnews.com/story/news/...n/69586407007/

How about just stop feeding them realizing that they are in fact a wild and NON-Domesticated Animal.
Okay, thanks. I missed that one. That appears to be the only occurrence. Still not bad for a city were bears are commonly seen walking around the Downtown tourist areas.

Old 04-05-2024, 09:16 AM

35,010 posts, read 16,972,291 times
Quote:
I bolded and underlined the most salient factor-the bear was habituated to humans and the residents were hand feeding it.

So it kept coming back and when it wasn't fed it created issues. Those people have no one to blame but themselves

I wonder if any, or all, of them can be cited for a wildlife violation. I know some states can and do issue violations to people feeding wildlife, especially if they've been directed not to.
Most people don't understand. Bears are not social animals and cannot be pets. Even bears hand-fed as cubs eventually have to be caged. When humans decide to play with them it often turns deadly.

Old 04-06-2024, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Most people don't understand. Bears are not social animals and cannot be pets. Even bears hand-fed as cubs eventually have to be caged. When humans decide to play with them it often turns deadly.
Not only can they be, but many people keep bears as pets. It's legal in many states. Obviously not in bearanoid Oregon, but in 16 states it's legal, and people keep bears as pets. Again, not something I would do, and not something I would recommend, but people are going to do what they want to do.

Pet Bear Legal States 2024

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUAW79hnIlM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7rZTZBOrqQ
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon