Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2020, 05:34 AM

4,300 posts, read 4,407,196 times

Advertisements

La Paz, in BCS. Great town, general location to beaches & wildlife/sealife, and low cost of living.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2020, 06:59 AM

5,606 posts, read 3,508,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfsoto1988 View Post
San Miguel de Allende, Gto

Nice town to visit for a week or so but after that ?
I think if you're going to spend a year in Mexico you'd want to be near a beach.

Old 03-26-2020, 02:58 PM

14,611 posts, read 17,537,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laina1980 View Post
Where I haven't been but think I'd love:
Puerto Escondido
Merida
Hualtuco
Mexico City!!! I wish...
Puebla
Puerto Escondido feels more like Europe than Mexico. There are a lot of kids there from all over. Huatulco is more geared towards the middle-aged tourist.

I love Puebla. I though I would like Merida, but it wasn't as fun as I thought it would be.

Old 03-26-2020, 03:53 PM

6,385 posts, read 11,878,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoe Conkling View Post
I think if you're going to spend a year in Mexico you'd want to be near a beach.
Probably half the expats who have moved to Mexico don't want to be near the beach either for weather and/or cost reasons. Can always go spend a few days at a beach and then go back to comfortable weather and in many cases a less costly lifestyle.

Old 03-26-2020, 04:07 PM

6,385 posts, read 11,878,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laina1980 View Post
This is just so hard! I am always dreaming of this and so pulled in many directions. I've been to some places I'd like to think I'd like to live and some I have not. I watch a lot of Youtubers who are doing this and one of my fave you should check out is Tangerine Travelers, they get around there!

My problem is my husband has a home there in his hometown(Michoacan) and I love his town and all but it is so rural! I feel I don't enjoy myself as much of what I enjoy there but the allure of not having to worry financially this home is owned and beautiful and his area is very cheap of utilities and food. No tourism whatsoeever!

Where I have been and can see myself living there:
Mazatlan
Leon
Aguascalientes-I love it there!And my Grandma is from there and still has family there
Guadalajara
Tijuana, Ensanada, still love these parts!

Where I haven't been but think I'd love:
Puerto Escondido
Merida
Hualtuco
Mexico City!!! I wish...
Puebla
You probably really would love Puebla/Cholula. It has the big city amenities, easy access to CDMX and kind of surprising how few foreign tourists there are around. And the cost of living is surprisingly low compared to CDMX. Queretaro is a close second to it IMO, similar ease of getting to many places and relatively low cost of living, but it does have more foreign tourists and is a longer trek to CDMX.

Tangerines are interesting to watch. I give them credit for going to Acapulco, 95% of gringos are scared out of their minds of going there. Kudos to them showing its still an interesting place to visit and worthy of a trip provided visitors take some precautions. I do have to say I preferred their time in GDL to Puerto Morelos, but at least they are showing the reality of living in the Riviera Maya instead of just highlighting all the beaches and resorts that draw most people there. Their comments about suffering through the heat and the lack of A/C at almost all businesses around them should be eye-opening to anyone considering it.

Old 03-26-2020, 09:25 PM

12,722 posts, read 7,568,743 times
Quote:
That's funny I'd make the same comment about the beach, good for a visit but after that?

Old 03-27-2020, 12:16 AM

344 posts, read 416,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
We've met so many people here (GDL) that have lived in Merida and moved because they got sick of the heat.

By all accounts Merida is a nice safe city with friendly locals and lots to do, but with so much of Mexico having weather where it's comfortable to be outside almost the entire year they just got tired of it and chased the higher altitudes.
I’ve been to Merida twice but that was 20 years ago so I can’t speak to the safety issue. But at the time it felt super safe and I enjoyed my first visit, which was brief, so much that I returned fairly soon and used it as a base for a longer stay. But the heat and humidity is relentless and apparently all year long with heat not too dissimilar than Bangkok. I would certainly love to go there on another vacation. One side trip I did make was to Dzibilchaltun which had some ruins and a cenote. That would be a cool vacation to base in Merida and bus around the area visiting cenotes.

Old 03-27-2020, 07:21 AM

5,606 posts, read 3,508,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
That's funny I'd make the same comment about the beach, good for a visit but after that?

I did a week in San Miguel de Allende and a week in Puerto Vallarta.
I know which one I'd prefer an extended stay in.
Horses for courses but I like to chill with an ocean breeze on my face,

Old 03-28-2020, 07:36 AM

12,722 posts, read 7,568,743 times
Quote:
I did a week in San Miguel de Allende and a week in Puerto Vallarta.
I know which one I'd prefer an extended stay in.
Horses for courses but I like to chill with an ocean breeze on my face,
I wouldn't be too happy in San Mig either, it's beautiful but I honestly don't get the allure for all those quinoa eating expats who live there. Given an either/or I'd pick Puerto Vallarta as well, at least could go have fun at the drag shows. Either one would be pretty touristy.

I like bigger cities, if they had a beach in Guadalajara or CDMX I probably still wouldn't go there unless people were visiting from out of town.

Old 03-28-2020, 10:47 AM

1,131 posts, read 1,232,533 times
If you don't want to get bored, big cities are the answer: Mexico City, Guadalajara, Guanajuato, Querétaro and Oaxaca seem to me to be ideal cities for expats.

Merida also if you withstand the intense humid heat.

For beach cities, I would only consider Tulum, Tiuana, La Paz and Puerto Vallarta, due to its proximity to interesting areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico