Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2015, 03:37 PM

4,659 posts, read 4,117,032 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RudyOD View Post
WOAH, talk about being incredibly incorrect. Let's not make assumptions. The diversity of the natives people of the Americas is immense. In fact, there is more of a genetic difference between a random tribe from southern Mexico and a random tribe from, lets say Northeast USA, than there is between a French and a Chinese.

People from Mexico show stunning amount of genetic diversity | Science/AAAS | News
This is simply not true of people with pure native American blood. It is called "the founder effect." Africans have the most genetic diversity because they stayed in Africa whereas a tiny band split of an populated the rest of the earth. Native Americans have the least because they were the last to populate their continents- in other words they were the product of a long series of tiny bands branching out.

I haven't got time to read the article, but I notice it says "people from Mexico" and not "natives from Mexico." It is probably including the fact that modern Mexicans are a mix of several things.

If it is saying that there is more diversity between native American tribes than between the French and Chinese, then it flies in the face of every geneticist I have ever seen.

Will read the article later for clarification to see if I am missing something. I am not a geneticist myself and know only what I have read from studies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2015, 10:16 PM

125 posts, read 206,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
In a way both sides are correct about the genetics of Native Americans.

The Americas missed out on the tremendous genetic upheaval that the Old World had with the foundation of agriculture. .
Agriculture developed pretty much at the same time in Babylon, China, India, Egypt, Peru and Mexico over 9,000 years ago. So the Americas did not missed out anything with the foundation of agriculture. For those who know, ancient Peruvian cultures had an incredible variety of foods.
Guitarrero Cave - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 02-25-2015, 10:20 PM

723 posts, read 805,856 times
One more reason to grant US citizenship to all Mexicans!

Old 02-26-2015, 04:40 PM

1,424 posts, read 2,486,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cachibatches View Post
This is simply not true of people with pure native American blood. It is called "the founder effect." Africans have the most genetic diversity because they stayed in Africa whereas a tiny band split of an populated the rest of the earth. Native Americans have the least because they were the last to populate their continents- in other words they were the product of a long series of tiny bands branching out.

I haven't got time to read the article, but I notice it says "people from Mexico" and not "natives from Mexico." It is probably including the fact that modern Mexicans are a mix of several things.

If it is saying that there is more diversity between native American tribes than between the French and Chinese, then it flies in the face of every geneticist I have ever seen.

Will read the article later for clarification to see if I am missing something. I am not a geneticist myself and know only what I have read from studies.
It is specifically discussing the natives of Mexico, and it then goes on to mention how the mestizo population tends to have a diversity of native dna paralleled to the original peoples of the state they reside in.

I am aware of the founder effect. Perhaps this is why the article referenced Europeans as a comparison, as most people that are somewhat well read in genetic diversity know that Africa easily takes the throne otherwise. The natives of Mexico might not match the diversity found in Africa, but no country/continent on Earth does. Nonetheless, the diversity of the original people's of Mexico either matches or surpasses that of Europe, despite native Europeans having been on the continent longer and experiencing various subsequent migrations from Africa and the rest of Eurasia. So, with that perspective in mind, the native genetic diversity of Mexico is definitely impressive.

Also, due to Mexico's geography, a lot of tribes lived in relative isolation from each other, which allowed for such diversity to flourish (genetically, linguistically, culturally). If Mexico would have joined the modern world sans Spanish colonization, it would probably have had a much more fragmented society with several identities and peoples all clamoring for dominance, much the way of India. Perhaps the birth of the nation would have been just as violent...even without colonization...as it has been with many modern nations and their internal civil wars, ethnic strife etc. Perhaps the various nations would have been united under one state much the way Germany and Italy were. Though I would imagine the geopolitical reality would be different, with central Mexico down to modern day Guatemala and Belize all being part of one nation, and northern Mexico and the American Southwest being another.

Old 02-26-2015, 07:04 PM

9,511 posts, read 5,435,134 times
I'm in the middle of a book right now. Mexico, A Study Of 2 Americas by Stuart Chase written in 1931. It's very intriguing and he's goes into this subject at length. There's a lot of rural people throughout Mexico of pure native american blood in his time and undoubtedly to this day.

Old 02-27-2015, 11:24 PM

170 posts, read 188,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyThe View Post
My mother is Mexican, my father American. I recently got my DNA results from www.23andme.com and found that I have 12.5% Native American DNA. I have since searched the internet and found that 80% of Mexicans come from the Apaches. I always felt a connection to the American Indians and now I know why.
Cool stuff !! your genetic Mexican Code will give you strength against diseases !

Old 02-28-2015, 07:44 AM

6 posts, read 19,746 times
Mexico is a very huge country with a lot of ethnic people, you can see this pic about Latin American countries each with their respective ethnic compositions. Genetic and social factors taken into account:

Also, in genetic studies Mexico consistently shows a European admixture comparable to countries that report white populations of 52% - 77% (in the case of Chile and Costa Rica, who average 51% & 60% European admixture respectively, while studies in the general Mexican population have found European ancestry ranging from 56% going to 60%, 64% and up to 78%).

A 2012 study published by the Journal of Human Genetics found the ancestry of the Mexican mestizo population to be predominately European (64.9%), followed by Native American (30.8%) and African (4.2%). The European ancestry was prevalent in the north and west (66.7-95%) and Native American ancestry increased in the center and southeast (37-50%), the African ancestry was low and relatively homogeneous (0-8.8%).The states that participated in this study were Aguascalientes, Chiapas, Chihuahua, Durango, Guerrero, Jalisco, Oaxaca, Sinaloa, Veracruz and Yucatan.

Another study conducted by Mexico's National Institute of Genomic Medicine (INMEGEN) reported that mestizo Mexicans are 58.96% European, 35.05% "Asian" (Amerindian mostly), and 5.03% African. Sonora shows the highest European contribution (70.63%) and Guerrero the lowest (51.98%) which also has the highest Asian contribution (37.17%). African contribution ranges from 2.8% in Sonora to 11.13% in Veracruz. 80% of the Mexican population was classed as mestizo (defined as "being racially mixed in some degree"). The study was realized with volunteers from 6 states and an indigenous group known as Zapotecs, with these being Sonora, Zacatecas, Veracruz, Guanajuato, Oaxaca and Yucatan (Mexico is composed of 31 states and one federal district)

The same study found that the Mexico's haplogroup was most similar to the European one, with the percentage of Haplotypes shared being 81%, followed by the Asian haplogroup with 74% and finally the African haplogroup, with a share rate of 64%. It was also noted by the investigators that the African admixture in general didn't came directly from the African slaves brought by the Europeans, but was already part of the genetic admixture of the colonizers themselves.[100] Another study which took place on Mexico city found the Mexican mestizo population to be the one who present the largest variation out of all the mestizo groups of Latin America (with its mestizos being either largely European or amerindian rather than having a uniform admixture) The results of this study are similar to the ones made by the INMEGEN with the European admixture being found to be dominant with 56.8% followed by the Asian (native American) ancestry with 39.8% and a small African contribution of 3.4%

Source: White Latin American - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 03-03-2015, 06:56 AM

14,611 posts, read 17,537,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagittarius Sirius View Post
Fun Fact - the vast majority of the Mexicans in the territories annexed by the united states were white

even now Northern Mexico is whiter than the south
There are some people who believe that the Americas (North and south) had a population equivalent to that of Europe at the conquest. Certainly Tenochtitlan (Mexico City) would have an urban population on a par with the greatest urban centers of Europe.

In comparison in the Mexican territories later annexed by the USA, there were no major urban centers.

Your comment about demographics of the mid 19th century and today make perfect sense.

Old 11-28-2018, 04:32 PM

3 posts, read 2,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyThe View Post
My mother is Mexican, my father American. I recently got my DNA results from www.23andme.com and found that I have 12.5% Native American DNA. I have since searched the internet and found that 80% of Mexicans come from the Apaches. I always felt a connection to the American Indians and now I know why.
My friend

You can never generalize a country "Based on one or two encounters of people from that Nation."

Every country; including the USA, are based of many cultures and ethnic backgrounds.

I will give you an example of Mexico.

I am Mexican, At least (4) generations Mexican. And why I just said that?

Because, Although I am of Mexican Descent and carry at least 4 Mexican-Spanish surnames...

I do not look Mexican at all!
Well; Not at least like the typical Mexican stereo type, most people think a Mexican looks like.

YOU SEE... There is a Region Called "Los Altos De Jalisco, Mexico" where a very large percentage of people in that region are very Anglo, European looking. They act, dress and look like Mexican cowboys, and they are ACTUALLY Mexican cowboys. But Anglo Style.

I am one of those, Although not a Mexican Cowboy, but an Anglo looking Mexican. I look More Anglo than Donald Trump. No Joke!

I am 6' Tall, Have Green Emerald like Eyes, dirty blond hair, very pail tone skin, have two Spanish last names, followed by another two Spanish surnames. But. Yet. I am Mexican, feel Mexican, proud to be Mexican. But Look white.

So White looking; that it got me curious to find out what my real ancestral background was. So. I paid pay an Ancestral DNA site to tell what Ancestral, or Ethnicity I AM?

Turns out, that I am 97% European, and only 3% Native American, presumably from Mexico,Duh!
In their Report: It states that I am 54% Iberian (Spanish) 17% German, or French, 18% English/Irish, 8% Italian, and 3% Native American.

It also claims that I have 1758 DNA Close relatives in the USA, and 6309 DNA Close Relatives in Mexico. And guess where most of those relatives claim they are from?.... Correct! LOS ALTOS DE JALISCO.
So. Is no accident that most people in that region are Anglo looking, because that is what they are!(Anglo's but from Mexico)

I personally do not discriminate any of my Mexican brothers regardless of what their origins, or skin tone. If they were born in Mexico. They are Mexicans!!. No matter if they Tall, short, dark, or light. A (Mexican) is a (Mexican).

Presently; We are living quite sad times in this Wold. i have been living in the USA for almost 40 years to this day. And I have watched and heard many "who think" just that because they are white looking from North America (USA). That they are superior to rest of the world ethnicities, especially of those born in a third world country like Mexico.

But. Come to think of it; some of this idiots are not so special after all! They are (them-selves) like many others around world, who have migrated from Europe, just like my ancestors most likely did, and now live-in all over the world. That does not make them SPECIAL just because they were born in the USA.
It just makes them American. Just like the South Americans, Central Americans and North Americans. They are all Americans, from different parts of (America, the Continent)

One thing that gets extremely upset, is when I heard some idiot say: (SPEAK AMERICAN!) when was the American Language created? NEVER! It is ENGLISH! (Not American!)

Every time someone speak a language they don't understand, some of these idiots, would actually shout "Speak American!" What a bunch of Idiots!
If there was such a thing as "American Language?" Then; It should be "SPANISH" since 97% of all countries in the American Continent speak Spanish.

Anyway. Your comment, about "Mexicans have Native American DNA" seemed a bit Far-fetched in the definition of Native Americans. BECAUSE! Most Mexicans are indeed NATIVE AMERICANS! Going back to pre-columbian 1492.
Fact: Most Non English speaking countries, are mostly NATIVE AMERICAN. I do not understand the confusion here?

Old 12-06-2018, 07:40 AM

6,288 posts, read 11,775,293 times
Old thread, but I'll chip in my two cents. My dad doesn't have any native features at all and doesn't recall any native heritage in his immediate past, but his DNA tests showed more than 1/4 native blood. Not suprising given 500 years of co-existence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico