Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2015, 06:53 AM

1,675 posts, read 2,838,622 times

Advertisements

Very large number of not only mexicans, but canadians, Americans, south Americans etc have native amerindian DNA!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2015, 02:24 PM

9,962 posts, read 12,377,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
P London, what country do you live in again? Were you really going to expect a European country to devote a huge amount of time to non-European history in compulsory education? I mean really Welcome to living in a country where the vast majority of people don't share your ancestry
Well yes why not? We don't live on Planet Europe but Planet Earth heard of it?

Old 02-18-2015, 03:06 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,489,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyThe View Post
My mother is Mexican, my father American. I recently got my DNA results from www.23andme.com and found that I have 12.5% Native American DNA. I have since searched the internet and found that 80% of Mexicans come from the Apaches. I always felt a connection to the American Indians and now I know why.
Ummm okay... congratulations

Old 02-18-2015, 06:29 PM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,891,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RudyOD View Post
WOAH, talk about being incredibly incorrect. Let's not make assumptions. The diversity of the natives people of the Americas is immense. In fact, there is more of a genetic difference between a random tribe from southern Mexico and a random tribe from, lets say Northeast USA, than there is between a French and a Chinese.

People from Mexico show stunning amount of genetic diversity | Science/AAAS | News
Ok, I found an actual study with full text it states that "Native Americans display the lowest genetic diversity of any continental group but there is high divergence among subpopulations".

This does support both positions.

The Genetics of Mexico Recapitulates Native American Substructure and Affects Biomedical Traits - Europe PMC Article - Europe PubMed Central

Old 02-18-2015, 06:38 PM

18,126 posts, read 25,269,498 times
Well
before 1820 or so, most of the United States SouthWest region was part of Mexico.
including Nevada, Utah and Colorado.

Old 02-18-2015, 07:44 PM

82 posts, read 113,329 times
I'm not sure why this should be a surprise to anyone. During Spanish colonial rule, Spanish men were the overwhelming majority of settlers who arrived in the new world, with few Spanish women settling in the colonies during the first century of Spanish rule. The offspring of the mixed marriages between Spanish men and indigenous women produced mestizo (mixed-race) offspring. Subsequent Spanish settlers of higher social status often married with mestiza girls, in effect produced "castizos" (3/4 European). Over subsequent generations this pattern reproduced itself resulting in a "whitening" of the criollos or Spaniards in the colony. However, most of the Spaniards lived in the cities and towns, with some being large landowners in the country and lording over mostly indigenous or African peasants/slaves.

Unmixed Indians remained the vast majority of inhabitants in colonial Mexico along with colonial Peru. The second largest group were mestizos of mixed Indian and mixed Spanish background. There were also quite a few African slaves brought to work in the Veracruz area, and many of their descendants eventually blended into the Indian and Mestizo population. This process of mixing continues to this day, so that the vast majority of Mexicans have at least some indigenous ancestry. Keep in mind that Mexico received few European immigrants after the 18th century. By contrast, Argentina and Uruguay continued to receive large numbers of European immigrants until the 1960s. Coincidentally, Cuba received a large number of Spanish immigrants between the 1880s and 1920s. Venezuela too received large numbers of European immigrants between the 1940s and 1970s, from Spain, Portugal and Italy.

Old 02-18-2015, 09:57 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,922,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P London View Post
Well yes why not? We don't live on Planet Europe but Planet Earth heard of it?

Old 02-19-2015, 04:57 PM

676 posts, read 989,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
Well
before 1820 or so, most of the United States SouthWest region was part of Mexico.
including Nevada, Utah and Colorado.

Fun Fact - the vast majority of the Mexicans in the territories annexed by the united states were white

even now Northern Mexico is whiter than the south

Old 02-25-2015, 02:42 PM

322 posts, read 707,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irene-cd View Post
Very large number of not only mexicans, but canadians, Americans, south Americans etc have native amerindian DNA!!
Unless I'm misunderstanding this comment....I'm focusing on "Americans" as in the US?

South America, Central America and the Latin Caribbean, has the largest contribution of Native American admixture, in varying degrees. That is seen in admixture mapping.
The population DNA structure for North America (US and Canada) does not include "Native American" DNA component. In the US for example, the population White Americans in general (descended from colonials) are less than 3% of Native American DNA and 5% for the [Colonial] African American population. It is more common to find small degrees of Sub-Saharan African blood in colonial White Americans due to the close interactions between Whites and slaves (Blacks, Mulattoes 1/2, Quadroons 1/4 and Octoroons 1/8).
Native Americans in the early colonial period were not part of the mainstream population in the US and had little interaction as a whole population during the earliest contact. The west ward expansion into Indian Country (west of the Mississippi River) did not start until the mid-1800's) with contact to the Plains tribes.
White colonial men would often father children from mixed race Blacks. US Indians were not having babies with Whites that freely and with considerably regularity that the Native component would be introduced into the "White" American population. Fur traders who traveled into Indian territory would acquire Indian wives as a peace offering between White men and tribes. Tribes may raid white settlements and take a White women. There was hostility between the two. The largest tribes in the Southeast of the US who accepted Whites largely and Blacks were the 5 Civilized tribes (Creek, Cherokee, Choctaw, Chickasaw and Seminole). Many Indian Blood Myths are spawned via these tribes. These were federally documented Indian tribes. Even with these tribes becoming very admixed, did not change the genetic landscape of the US population (not including Hispanics). Many White Americans who lay claim on Native American ancestry on this forum and abroad on others include this in their ancestry (never Black ancestry) though even wildly undocumented, will take a DNA (autosomal) test primarily without Native American present but a small smidge of Sub-Saharan African is more common. A small handful will find this (Native American) present in their DNA.

This can be explained very easily. The segregation of Native Americans was done swift and quickly in the US and First Nations placing tribes onto government reservations by FRAUDLANT treaties never upheld by the federal government.
Latin American interacted freely with Native Americans. They did not envision a Latin America without Native's. The US did. Yes, the men were worked to death and the European men took Indian wives which is why Native American admixture is found as a component in the population. Latin American mixed very early with Natives in the Americans.

Have a good day.

Last edited by AppalachianGumbo; 02-25-2015 at 02:59 PM..

Old 02-25-2015, 03:03 PM

102,191 posts, read 107,809,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyThe View Post
My mother is Mexican, my father American. I recently got my DNA results from www.23andme.com and found that I have 12.5% Native American DNA. I have since searched the internet and found that 80% of Mexicans come from the Apaches. I always felt a connection to the American Indians and now I know why.
Many of the Mexican tribes came from the north. Half, or maybe more, of the tribes in the Uto-Aztecan family are in the US. Those are unrelated to the Apaches, an Athabaskan tribe (or group of tribes), who came to the SW from Alaska/northern Canada. There aren't any Athabaskans in Mexico. There are a lot of Uto-Aztecans, and also Mayans.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 02-25-2015 at 03:14 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico