Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom > London
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2014, 04:52 PM

8,572 posts, read 8,545,646 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
Im sorry I disagree, I know how my family view themselves, and how they are viewed by other people that I know and generally I don't think this is true.

And here we go. 1.9 million blacks asked this question in the mots recent England and Wales census, and 1.6 million identified with either the Caribbean or Africa, and your one little family is RELEVANT? Why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2014, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irlinit View Post
But ask any black skinned person in the UK, they will never ever call themselves a 'black Brit'

And many will also tell you all the ways that being black does impact their lives in the UK, from being more likely stopped by the cops, to being passed over for promotions, to even having greater difficulties in accessing certain kinds of jobs, and being more likely to be unemployed.

Old 08-14-2014, 05:37 PM

9,962 posts, read 12,388,854 times
And more likely to be in poverty.

People are willfully ignorant I doubt they have regular contact with black people.

Old 08-14-2014, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by P London View Post
And more likely to be in poverty.

People are willfully ignorant I doubt they have regular contact with black people.

Many people define racism by the marches of keeping waving the Union Jack and screaming "Keep Britain White". Given that these haven't happened for at least 30 years, it means that racism is over and any one who says otherwise is a lunatic. And they will trot out their "best black friend", or their black wife as proof of how 1.9 million blacks think. Not taking into account that some of those very blacks might say something very different if they weren't around.

People do not switch off their attitudes in a millisecond. People who were openly racist in the South are still alive today as those who were openly racist in Boston, NYC, or London. It is no longer PC to behave in this way, so certain attitudes have gone under ground, and racism is practiced in more subtle ways.

All you need is a Trayvon Martin incident in Florida. Or the riots in the UK a few years ago when KIDS OF ALL RACES MISBEHAVED. Then these attitudes come roaring out.

This isn't to say that there hasn't been progress in both the USA and the UK, and maybe even France and Italy, but we haven't solved the problem yet, so we can keep the bubbly corked.

Old 08-15-2014, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
Many people define racism by the marches of keeping waving the Union Jack and screaming "Keep Britain White". Given that these haven't happened for at least 30 years, it means that racism is over and any one who says otherwise is a lunatic. And they will trot out their "best black friend", or their black wife as proof of how 1.9 million blacks think. Not taking into account that some of those very blacks might say something very different if they weren't around.

People do not switch off their attitudes in a millisecond. People who were openly racist in the South are still alive today as those who were openly racist in Boston, NYC, or London. It is no longer PC to behave in this way, so certain attitudes have gone under ground, and racism is practiced in more subtle ways.

All you need is a Trayvon Martin incident in Florida. Or the riots in the UK a few years ago when KIDS OF ALL RACES MISBEHAVED. Then these attitudes come roaring out.

This isn't to say that there hasn't been progress in both the USA and the UK, and maybe even France and Italy, but we haven't solved the problem yet, so we can keep the bubbly corked.
Exactly you took the words right out of my mouth.

Old 08-16-2014, 09:01 AM

9,264 posts, read 7,414,650 times
Quote:
And many will also tell you all the ways that being black does impact their lives in the UK, from being more likely stopped by the cops, to being passed over for promotions, to even having greater difficulties in accessing certain kinds of jobs, and being more likely to be unemployed.
I really don't think that is a problem in the UK.. I have never heard of that happening to someone I know

Old 08-16-2014, 09:32 AM

Quote:
I really don't think that is a problem in the UK.. I have never heard of that happening to someone I know
Well, sadly it does happen alot its one of the reasons why people of African descent are poor likely to live in poverty because the typically white employer are more likely to not employ African people.

Old 08-17-2014, 03:12 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,601,133 times
Quote:
We went through this already. Ask them their nationality "British". Ask them their ethnicity and 85% of the blacks will either say "Caribbean" or "African".

Ask American blacks their nationality. They will say "American" or "US". Ask them their race/ethnicity and they say "African American" or "black American".

Bottom line is that the USA has had a large black population for almost 400 years, and most black Americans trace their roots in the USA for over 250 years, and have no ties to another land.

The UK has had a large black population for only 65 years and most black are only 1, 2 or 3 generations away from their immigrant roots. They quite clearly know where their ancestries are, and most even know the people who migrated to the UK.

I will suggest that many blacks in the UK are still not sure how "English" they are, because the jury is still out about whether being "English" isn't tied to those who have lived there for at least 1,000 years. Most black Americans have no doubt that they are one of the FOUNDATION groups of the USA.
55% of Black Africans identify as British, 45% of Black Caribbeans. 26% of Black Africans identify as English, and 10% of Black Caribbeans. 59% of Black Africans identify as any UK nationality, and 88% of Black Caribbeans.

I guess they can have shared identities. Someone can identify a British and some Caribbean/African nationality.

Old 08-17-2014, 04:56 AM

692 posts, read 958,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
55% of Black Africans identify as British, 45% of Black Caribbeans. 26% of Black Africans identify as English, and 10% of Black Caribbeans. 59% of Black Africans identify as any UK nationality, and 88% of Black Caribbeans.

I guess they can have shared identities. Someone can identify a British and some Caribbean/African nationality.
Interesting how West Indians, who were the first wave of Black immigrants and took the brunt of Britain's racism, are significantly less likely to identify as British or English.

I've got a lot of family in the UK and have travelled London, Manchester & Birmingham extensively and how they self-identify ranges from Kittitian to Caribbean to UK Kittitian to British, but NEVER English.

Old 08-17-2014, 11:22 AM

Quote:

Indeed you are entitled to your opinions, but P London, a black UK born person, disagrees with you. Maybe he experiences things that you don't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom > London