Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom > London
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2014, 03:53 PM

9,962 posts, read 12,387,502 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
Except that race in society is a construct which has validity, based on how people so categorized are treated, and so an ethno-racial identity will develop.

While their is no strong "Afro British" identity, this might well be due to the fact that most British blacks are no more than 3 or 4 generations from their immigrant roots. In the USA they (the vast majority) aren't the descendants of immigrants, and pretty much their entirety is defined by their experience as blacks living in that nation.

The UK census identifies 1.9 million people who self identify as "black", 1.6 million further self identifying as either "Afro Caribbean" or "African". So apparently "British" is nationality/citizenship, and not ethnicity, so one cannot compare this with "African/Black American" which is an ethnic terms and so more related to "Afro Caribbean", or "African". If you ask most black Americans their nationality they will say "American", or "US".

In the UK every one knows who is black and who is white, and it isn't just skin color. One only need look at the urban riots of a few years ago. The trigger was the shooting of a person of mixed ancestry by the police. Many white youths were also involved in vandalism, looting and violence. Yet it was portrayed as an "Afro Caribbean" riot (implication also that no "Africans" were involved). And then the usual pathologies being peddled, with the normal British hypocrisy ignoring that these behaviors owe their roots to the United Kingdom.

The UK has a contemporary problem with segments of its Afro Caribbean and Pakistani populations based on how these groups were treated in the 50s-80s. Though obviously conditions have vastly improved the legacy doesn't immediately disappear.
Its funny how blinded people can be the riots were clearly a direct result of the UK government but no it were just "thugs"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2014, 04:36 PM

8,572 posts, read 8,544,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P London View Post
Its funny how blinded people can be the riots were clearly a direct result of the UK government but no it were just "thugs"

I do recall your spirited arguments in the face of many who wanted to scape goat.

Old 08-09-2014, 05:57 PM

I remember, was a while back.

Old 08-09-2014, 06:44 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,597,650 times
I've never met a black person who says 'Black British'. They say they are British.

Old 08-09-2014, 08:28 PM

9,264 posts, read 7,413,465 times
Of course they are.. just as a white person would not call themselves a 'white British'

Colour is irrelevant

Old 08-10-2014, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
I've never met a black person who says 'Black British'. They say they are British.

We went through this already. Ask them their nationality "British". Ask them their ethnicity and 85% of the blacks will either say "Caribbean" or "African".

Ask American blacks their nationality. They will say "American" or "US". Ask them their race/ethnicity and they say "African American" or "black American".

Bottom line is that the USA has had a large black population for almost 400 years, and most black Americans trace their roots in the USA for over 250 years, and have no ties to another land.

The UK has had a large black population for only 65 years and most black are only 1, 2 or 3 generations away from their immigrant roots. They quite clearly know where their ancestries are, and most even know the people who migrated to the UK.

I will suggest that many blacks in the UK are still not sure how "English" they are, because the jury is still out about whether being "English" isn't tied to those who have lived there for at least 1,000 years. Most black Americans have no doubt that they are one of the FOUNDATION groups of the USA.

Old 08-10-2014, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irlinit View Post
Of course they are.. just as a white person would not call themselves a 'white British'

Colour is irrelevant

Oh I can furnish numerous statistics and articles that will tell you that skin color, race, national origin and ethnicity are very important in the UK. Indeed as much as it is in any nation that you wish to name.

Old 08-13-2014, 10:28 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,035,458 times
Quote:
We went through this already. Ask them their nationality "British". Ask them their ethnicity and 85% of the blacks will either say "Caribbean" or "African".

Ask American blacks their nationality. They will say "American" or "US". Ask them their race/ethnicity and they say "African American" or "black American".

Bottom line is that the USA has had a large black population for almost 400 years, and most black Americans trace their roots in the USA for over 250 years, and have no ties to another land.

The UK has had a large black population for only 65 years and most black are only 1, 2 or 3 generations away from their immigrant roots. They quite clearly know where their ancestries are, and most even know the people who migrated to the UK.

I will suggest that many blacks in the UK are still not sure how "English" they are, because the jury is still out about whether being "English" isn't tied to those who have lived there for at least 1,000 years. Most black Americans have no doubt that they are one of the FOUNDATION groups of the USA.
Im sorry I disagree, I know how my family view themselves, and how they are viewed by other people that I know and generally I don't think this is true.

Old 08-13-2014, 06:17 PM

9,264 posts, read 7,413,465 times
Quote:
Oh I can furnish numerous statistics and articles that will tell you that skin color, race, national origin and ethnicity are very important in the UK. Indeed as much as it is in any nation that you wish to name.
But ask any black skinned person in the UK, they will never ever call themselves a 'black Brit'

Old 08-13-2014, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irlinit View Post
But ask any black skinned person in the UK, they will never ever call themselves a 'black Brit'
Some do though I don't some do...

But his point was that skin colour/race/ethnicity does play a part in British society...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom > London