Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2020, 07:05 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,730,816 times

Advertisements

Keep in mind this most likely will be be updated to include people coming to Israel for Passover.

https://www.health.gov.il/English/To...6tweK7grS-ffT4
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2020, 07:34 PM

4,729 posts, read 4,361,712 times
I heard there are up 100k Israelis in corono quarantine right now. Creates big halachic difficulties for hearing Magilla on Purim this week. Rav Shlomo Zalman poskined you’ve not fulfilled your obligation unless you hear it in person - webcasts, microphones, telephones, none of these fulfill.

Old 03-07-2020, 08:15 PM

2,675 posts, read 1,262,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theflipflop View Post
I heard there are up 100k Israelis in corono quarantine right now. Creates big halachic difficulties for hearing Magilla on Purim this week. Rav Shlomo Zalman poskined you’ve not fulfilled your obligation unless you hear it in person - webcasts, microphones, telephones, none of these fulfill.
There are other opinions.
Eretz Hemdah - Ask The Rabbi
---------------
According to most authorities, it is not possible to fulfill the mitzvah of hearing the reading of the Megillah by hearing it over the telephone or any other electronic device.[1] This is the accepted halachic position under normal circumstances. However, there are authorities who are of the opinion that one fulfils the mitzvah by hearing the reading of the Megillah through electronic means (via live broadcast)[2], and some authorities state that at the very least we cannot rule out this possibility.[3] Therefore, in extreme circumstances where it is impossible to be physically present at the reading, one should listen to a live broadcast of the reading via electronic means.[4]
Therefore, one who is in quarantine because of the Coronavirus and cannot go to the synagogue to hear the Megillah, should act in accordance with the following options listed in order of priority:
One should arrange for someone to read the Megillah close to one's home such that one will hear the reading directly, while maintaining the separation required for quarantine per the instructions of the local medical authorities.
One should read the Megillah himself out of a kosher scroll. One may use a recording of the reading for assistance and read along with the recording using the scroll.
We can provide a link to a recording of the reading specifically designed for easy use in this scenario (contact: info@eretzhemdah.org)
One should hear the reading of the Megillah via a live broadcast, such as over the telephone or computer. One may answer “amen” to the blessings of the reader,[5] but should not recite them oneself.
The custom is that one who reads the Megillah privately does not recite the blessing of “harav et rivenu” following the reading.[6]

[1] Responsa Minchat Shlomo 1:9; Responsa Yechaveh Daat 3:54; Responsa Minchat Yitzchak 3:38,16, and others. The ruling in Responsa Bemareh Habazak 1:26 is that one should not be lenient under normal circumstances. See further, Responsa Bemareh Habazak 5:62 regarding places where the practice is to read the megillah with a microphone.
[2] Responsa Minchat Elazar 2:72
[3] See Responsa Igrot Moshe O”C 2:108, O”C 4:91; Responsa Tzitz Eliezer 8:11; see further Responsa Minchat Shlomo (ibid.) in the footnotes, who indicates that the Chazon Ish was also unsure of this.
[4] We understand that this is also the ruling of Rabbi Herschel Schachter for those asking in the United States.
[5] Responsa Igrot Moshe O”C 4:91; Responsa Yechaveh Daat 2:68; see also Piskei Teshuvot 215:3
[6] Shulchan Aruch O"C 692:1; see also Piskei Teshuvot 692:4

Old 03-07-2020, 08:53 PM

I heard many of those ****as today, Rosends. Very nice. Rav Moshe’s is fascinating in that he begins his with “this is very difficult” and ends it with he’s never heard this question before. Not typical of Rav Moshe to equivocate so much. Rav Shlomo Zalman wrote a book on the halachas of electricity on Shabbos when he was 17 I believe. Rav Fuerst in Chicago I understand holds that even Rav Moshe would have agreed wit Rav SZ had he had the same understanding of how electronics work. Fascinating to see how the gedolim think and interact with each other.

Old 03-07-2020, 08:54 PM

And I should add, that my Rav is a talmud or Rav Shlomo Zalman, hence how I came to this discussion with his psak.

Old 03-08-2020, 05:46 AM

2,675 posts, read 1,262,760 times
Quote:
And I should add, that my Rav is a talmud or Rav Shlomo Zalman, hence how I came to this discussion with his psak.
And I applaud "aseh l'cha rav" (choose a rabbinic voice for yourself to follow consistently) but before one asks a specific rav for a psak/decision, one should know the variety of opinions. There was another citation to R. Herschel Schachter but the link went to another article; since I have a supposed quote but not the original source, I chose not to post it.

Old 03-08-2020, 06:00 AM

19,387 posts, read 6,497,447 times
Quote:
That's not what I heard. I've heard that hearing it by telephone will fulfil the obligation, given that health comes before all. I myself am trying to decide whether to attend our large community Purim Party, attended by hundreds, or "phone it in." FWIW, I am in the age group (60+) that has been advised to avoid large inside gatherings.

Edited to add: Oops, sorry.....I added my post before I saw the others above me. Please excuse the redundancy.

Old 03-08-2020, 06:03 AM

43,620 posts, read 44,346,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
Keep in mind this most likely will be be updated to include people coming to Israel for Passover.

https://www.health.gov.il/English/To...6tweK7grS-ffT4
I don't see the USA yet on the list but I read that a decision about whether to quarantine or not people coming from American destinations will be decided within the next 24 hours.

Old 03-08-2020, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
I don't see the USA yet on the list but I read that a decision about whether to quarantine or not people coming from American destinations will be decided within the next 24 hours.
Israel reportedly decides on self-quarantine for arrivals from NY, Wash., CA

https://www.timesofisrael.com/israel...rnia-arrivals/

Old 03-08-2020, 07:22 AM

Birthright trips among the latest cancellations caused by the coronavirus

https://www.jpost.com/Diaspora/Birth...navirus-619974
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism