Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2021, 09:20 AM

46,261 posts, read 27,074,383 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post

Then I wonder if you should have a pistol, or rifle for that matter. You may need it after you have forgotten. I was a Police Officer for over 20 years, I haven’t fired one in over ten years. I have no doubt of my ability.
You can fire it, but you won't be as accurate. I can still handle the pistol and shoot the pistol, but I'm not just as accurate as I used to be. Will I get back to where I used to be, of course, but I'm not as good as I was....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2021, 02:29 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,687,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
Ammo is the new TP.
Convincing themselves that a want is a need.

Old 05-12-2021, 02:41 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,687,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
You can fire it, but you won't be as accurate. I can still handle the pistol and shoot the pistol, but I'm not just as accurate as I used to be. Will I get back to where I used to be, of course, but I'm not as good as I was....
[mod cut] One of the pistols I have was given to me. My friend married a girl who was on Parole, they couldn’t have a firearm in the house. After a while he moved away any I never heard from him. Another sold me a gun and collected insurance on it. I guess he decided it was a waste of money. At any rate, neither cost me a nickel.

Last edited by volosong; 05-12-2021 at 09:44 PM.. Reason: Thi is a "Hobbies and Recreation" forum. We don't talk about killing people.

Old 05-12-2021, 02:51 PM

8,742 posts, read 12,952,246 times
Quote:
i am a retired Police Supervisor and a disabled combat veteran, I am sorry I disappoint your assumptions of what I should think. I have never bought a firearm, usually my employer would issue ne one.
Thank you for your service!

Any LEO that lasts to retirement deserves a congratulations especially in today's "defending the cop" environment.

Old 05-12-2021, 03:02 PM

50,241 posts, read 46,997,454 times
Quote:
[mod cut] One of the pistols I have was given to me. My friend married a girl who was on Parole, they couldn’t have a firearm in the house. After a while he moved away any I never heard from him. Another sold me a gun and collected insurance on it. I guess he decided it was a waste of money. At any rate, neither cost me a nickel.
That would be a felony in CA. A certain political party wants those same laws for all States.

Last edited by volosong; 05-12-2021 at 09:45 PM..

Old 05-12-2021, 03:31 PM

Quote:
[mod cut]

O.K., you are right, at 110 years old (not you, just making a point) you still have the same Muscle Memory.

Are you saying you have the same muscle memory that you had in 1962? If you say yes, you're not telling the truth and you damn well know it.

So, you know it was insurance fraud, yet you are not turning in your friend in....you're amazing man....really, you know a law was broke and have not reported it. Seems you were in on it, which also makes you an accessory.

Last edited by volosong; 05-12-2021 at 09:46 PM.. Reason: This is a "Hobbies and Recreation" forum. We don't talk about killing people.

Old 05-12-2021, 03:39 PM

28,662 posts, read 18,764,698 times
Anyone who achieves high ability in any skill, whether computer programming, dancing, playing an instrument, throwing or hitting a ball, surgery, even riding a bicycle knows that it must be practiced to maintain proficiency. The military certainly understands it. That's why people in high-expertise occupations practice constantly.

Medical science tells us that physical "detraining" begins in about 3-4 days. Conversations I've had with both top-level athletes and musicians confirm that...they all report that they can themselves detect a blunting of their skills within a week of idleness. People at the low end of capability may not detect it; "more or less" is vague when one is only mediocre anyway.

Old 05-12-2021, 04:33 PM

19,743 posts, read 22,635,943 times
Maybe I'm a freak of nature, but I do not shoot my shotguns during the 'off hunting' seasons. Maybe once or twice I've busted some clays, and that's about it. I clean them after the season and they sit in the safe.

I'm not saying I'm Gods gift to the shot gunning world, but a lot of guys I hunt with are stupified that I crack off some of the shots I do. It's rare that I miss and usually the wind or the distance to the bird is just too far or much.

I'm not joking. I just plain hit them. I play a lot of back-up to other guys, usually older, that if they miss I follow up on the bird. So those birds are usually out there. I remember I was hunting with one guy, maybe 20 years older than me at the time. I already went 3 for 3 on roosters, pulled a double on huns and then we ran into some sharpies. I think he had bagged one rooster and missed a bunch- including the huns. So a few sharpies came up- I hit one, then you wait because they usually don't all flush at once. Well I missed when about 4-5 came up. I lost my focus on one bird. Tom turned to me and said "So you're not a God after all!".

Now handguns? Nope. I've gotta stay on it.

Old 05-13-2021, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
Maybe I'm a freak of nature, but I do not shoot my shotguns during the 'off hunting' seasons. Maybe once or twice I've busted some clays, and that's about it. I clean them after the season and they sit in the safe.

I'm not saying I'm Gods gift to the shot gunning world, but a lot of guys I hunt with are stupified that I crack off some of the shots I do. It's rare that I miss and usually the wind or the distance to the bird is just too far or much.

I'm not joking. I just plain hit them. I play a lot of back-up to other guys, usually older, that if they miss I follow up on the bird. So those birds are usually out there. I remember I was hunting with one guy, maybe 20 years older than me at the time. I already went 3 for 3 on roosters, pulled a double on huns and then we ran into some sharpies. I think he had bagged one rooster and missed a bunch- including the huns. So a few sharpies came up- I hit one, then you wait because they usually don't all flush at once. Well I missed when about 4-5 came up. I lost my focus on one bird. Tom turned to me and said "So you're not a God after all!".

Now handguns? Nope. I've gotta stay on it.
Oh, I agree any long gun (shotgun or rifle) is a lot easier to shoot even after being dormant for a while than a pistol.

Old 05-13-2021, 03:24 PM

Back on topic, The local Academy sports had probably 200+ boxes of ammo today, all the basic calibers and for the first time I seen .44 mag. So, it's coming back.

I went to a pawn shop today just wasting time, they had 500 rounds of .22 for $110....I just turned around and walked out shaking my head...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting