Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Grandparents
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2010, 02:56 PM

2,015 posts, read 3,379,701 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundance View Post
If you couldn't prevent your own son from becoming obese, why do you think your help is needed here? Perhaps you should "fix" your adult son before you zero in on your granddaughter?
My son was not fed unhealthy food as a child. He did not become overweight at all until he was nearly 30, long after he lived with me.

So you suggest I just sit back and watch my innocent granddaughter develop all kinds of serious ailments?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2010, 07:49 PM

1,952 posts, read 4,788,644 times
Quote:
It's hard to watch this as I know she's in for a very unhealthy, unhappy life.
She's FOUR YEARS OLD, and you already have decided she's going to have a very unhappy life.

Good God. Seriously, you have too much time on your hands. Volunteer at an animal shelter, or some other deserving place.

Old 01-29-2010, 07:30 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,864,372 times
Quote:
She's FOUR YEARS OLD, and you already have decided she's going to have a very unhappy life.

Good God. Seriously, you have too much time on your hands. Volunteer at an animal shelter, or some other deserving place.

FYI, at 4 years old a child that is obese can develop a multitude of health problems. Throw in the fact that kids will taunt and tease the child once she starts school it can be a very traumatic experience for the child that can lead to her being bullied, depression and even thoughts of suicide. Something that is TOTALLY NOT healthy nor makes for a happy childhood.

Maybe you can get off your high horse as some of the comments you have been making on various threads seem to be rather off base and condemning.

To the OP, if you live close by why not suggest to the parents that they sign her up for some physical activity. If they can't get her to/from then volunteer to help them out with it. You don't have to approach the matter from the point of helping her with her weight but rather from the "get her out there", "make friends", "do something that she can have fun and carry with her for life", etc. Check out the local sports leagues as they should be in the middle of having their registration for the spring season. Check on soccer, volleyball, softball/t-ball, swimming, etc as they have all of these for girls. Another good one is gymnastics or dance classes. I'm sure the child can find something she would like to get involved in.

Old 01-29-2010, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Maybe you can get off your high horse as some of the comments you have been making on various threads seem to be rather off base and condemning.
I have my own opinions, just like you have yours. You don't seem to have a problem expressing yourself and I'll do likewise.

The OP admits her own son is obese, so obviously, whatever she did or does is not going to help, and I think it's far more dangerous to start harping at an innocent, four-year-old girl about her weight, than to simply realize she probably still has "baby fat," and will outgrow it. Hovering over a 4-year-old, stressing about her weight, is almost guaranteed to give her an eating disorder into her teens.

Old 01-29-2010, 11:41 AM

Quote:
I'm very worried and everybody tells me to just stay out of it as there is nothing I can. It's hard to watch this as I know she's in for a very unhealthy, unhappy life. I live thousands of miles away so only see them twice a year.
If you only see them twice a year, how can it be "hard to watch this?" If everyone else is telling you to chill out, maybe you should LISTEN, and just enjoy your granddaughter when you're lucky enough to see her.

Is there anything GOOD about the kid.....anything you like? Geeze........! You seem unnaturally fixated and obsessed with her weight. Is this why you only get to see her twice a year?

Old 01-29-2010, 11:54 AM

3,007 posts, read 6,284,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankinscotland View Post
My 4 year old granddaughter is obese and at the rate she is gaining will be grossly obese soon. Her parents are obese - my son began getting fat in his late 20's. They all have a horrid high fat, low exercise diet and they push their daughter to eat, even though she sometimes just wants fruit for a meal.

I'm very worried and everybody tells me to just stay out of it as there is nothing I can. It's hard to watch this as I know she's in for a very unhealthy, unhappy life. I live thousands of miles away so only see them twice a year.
Invite them to stay with you each summer and subsidize the trip. When there, plenty of walking, hiking, football, rugby, drinking of water, home cooking, etc.

S.

Old 01-29-2010, 12:45 PM

I just paid for granddaughter to go to preschool soccer and she's done so twice so far.

As I've stated many times, I live in the UK, she lives in the US.

Nobody harps at my granddaughter for being overweight - her parents don't recognize it. Last summer her weight was 60 pounds which for her height at that time was 20 pounds more than she should weigh! Hardly just baby fat, is it?? That's 50% more than she should weigh. FFS! Her fat cells are set and she will fight obesity her entire life. She cannot walk properly due to her thighs being so fat and she has trouble tying her shoes as she can't bend over w/o great difficulty due to the size of her belly. She had a triple chin. Her parents can't find clothes to fit her as the ones that do are made for much taller and older girls.

If Sundance would bother to read before spouting off, she would see that I said I adore this kid and am very worried about her health and happiness. She's a lovely kid, very friendly, affectionate, intelligent and considerate.

I visit with my granddaughter via webcam frequently as well as about 6 weeks during the year. Her parents also send photos which show her getting wider and wider all the time. She looks so unhealthy and I'm quite worried that she'll get diabetes like a large percentage of preschool obese kids do.

Old 01-29-2010, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandpointian View Post
Invite them to stay with you each summer and subsidize the trip. When there, plenty of walking, hiking, football, rugby, drinking of water, home cooking, etc.

S.
Ummm.....flying my son, his wife, teenage stepgrandson and granddaughter from the US to the UK would be exorbitant. And they can't afford it.

Old 01-29-2010, 12:50 PM

Quote:
You seem unnaturally fixated and obsessed with her weight. Is this why you only get to see her twice a year?
We are on different continents.

I keep trying to finish this thread as I stated many posts ago, and people like you who don't bother to read previous replies keep replying (none quite as obnoxious as you).

Can this thread cease now!? I don't need anymore advice. Thank you.

Old 01-29-2010, 01:09 PM

19 posts, read 41,104 times
Start cooking/preparing simple foods with her. Children love to learn. Teach her to make "ants on the log" (google it) & send her home with the ingredients to make w/her parents. Plant a garden, let her help. Teach your grandchild about the healthy food just like you would help her/him with their ABC's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Grandparents