Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2024, 07:09 AM

24,686 posts, read 11,023,362 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumbpuffin View Post
I’ve tried to deal with humidity in many ways with little success until I realized it’s more than the humid air. It’s the barometric pressure and other mysterious factors that play along.
You mentioned OKC and I remember driving from Denver to OKC and feeling good, then passing OKC about 50 miles max and starting to feel something. Like it was cloudy without being cloudy. And no, it’s not mental. This year I was in OKC and it was raining and all gray but with a low dew point and I was perfectly fine. They say summers are brutal there, so I wouldn’t just trust my 2 little experiences. On the other hand, there is a line between east and west that I could actually feel
I wander if anyone whether sensitive moved to OKC from more eastern places and noticed an improvement or not.
You can have a grass fire, tornado and earth quake in one day. The last couple of days winds were around 40 mph. We jokingly call those days our being blown to Texas days. Black ice storms, blizzards, heat warnings. You can pull official weather data on line. Channel 9's weather team is awesome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2024, 09:58 AM

1,695 posts, read 1,284,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dumbpuffin View Post
Flagstaff would’ve been that exception I am trying to find in the middle of a certain climate, but the freezing nights for so many months…I wander if anyone living there could tell me more about it.
I think a better suggestion would be Prescott, AZ. The winters aren't as long or harsh.

Old 04-24-2024, 02:21 PM

2,390 posts, read 1,085,535 times
Silver City, NM

Rolling hills....perfect climate....

Old 04-24-2024, 04:39 PM

1,261 posts, read 1,123,071 times
Walla Walla, WA might be a good spot to look at.

Old 04-27-2024, 06:10 PM

5,524 posts, read 8,789,571 times
Seems the Bay Area checks all your boxes. In general, temps are 45-80, little to no snow, low humidity, green, good air quality, and of course easy access to San Francisco and its major airport. The city itself might work, as well as suburbs like Berkeley, Oakland, Piedmont, most of Marín County (on the other side of the Golden Gate), and of course a bit further south, San Jose, though I think SJ might get a bit warmer than you’d like.

Old 04-29-2024, 10:49 AM

3,904 posts, read 4,557,563 times
Lots of suggestions here, but as you said, money is no object so you have the luxury of being fussy. Nice problem to have!

Don't know if you're retired, independently wealthy, or working remote, but if it were me and weather were my supreme priority... (my kids are grown) I'd buy a nice RV and chase the weather around the country. Pacific Northwest in summer, Arizona in summer, the mid east coast in spring when the cherry trees are blossoming, the upper Midwest, especially the Upper Peninsula of Michigan in the fall. That sort of thing.

Of course, there are a lot of people who snow bird.

Other than that, I'd say the central coast areas/Bay area, but a little more inland so you don't get fogged out all the time might be the best place for you.

Old 04-30-2024, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Podo944 View Post
Lots of suggestions here, but as you said, money is no object so you have the luxury of being fussy. Nice problem to have!

Don't know if you're retired, independently wealthy, or working remote, but if it were me and weather were my supreme priority... (my kids are grown) I'd buy a nice RV and chase the weather around the country. Pacific Northwest in summer, Arizona in summer, the mid east coast in spring when the cherry trees are blossoming, the upper Midwest, especially the Upper Peninsula of Michigan in the fall. That sort of thing.

Of course, there are a lot of people who snow bird.

Other than that, I'd say the central coast areas/Bay area, but a little more inland so you don't get fogged out all the time might be the best place for you.
Correction on brain fart: Arizona in WINTER.
No you definitely don't want to be there in summer. Lol!

Old 04-30-2024, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riffle View Post
Add Rapid City, SD to my previous list.

Do you have a picture of the landscape you like? It's hard to grow trees without rain

You basically want:
- a cold semi-arid climate (e.g. Reno) without cold winters and not too arid
- a cool-summer Mediterranean climate (e.g. San Luis Obispo) without rainy/cloudy winters
- an oceanic climate (e.g. Sequim) without rain and clouds

All of which seem like contradictions.
Doesn't Rapid City get extremely long winters though? I heard the seasons are winter and summer. Is this true?

A couple of years ago we seriously considered Rapid City when my husband went remote.
We got a little spooked by the hail storm stories, but in the end it was a coin toss between Rapid City and Vancouver Washington. (Having also visited Spokane, Missoula, Reno, Provo and Idaho Falls)

Anyway, Vancouver won and maybe a good thing because we ended up having to run down to Redding, Ca. quite a few times to deal with an older relative who was diagnosed with Alzheimer's, then we ended up moving to Redding to look after him.

It's not too bad here... we're outside the city near a lake, but dang does it ever get hot in summer! Above 100 degrees is pretty normal and the fires can get scary. After this situation ends, we're back looking at Rapid. Love the area, so close to wildlife viewing.

Old 04-30-2024, 05:56 PM

1,261 posts, read 834,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Podo944 View Post
Doesn't Rapid City get extremely long winters though? I heard the seasons are winter and summer. Is this true?
"Extremely long winters" is in the eye of the beholder. With respect to the original question, the post I quoted said to take temperatures out of the equation.

You may find this helpful:
https://www.weather.gov/unr/bhco

Old 04-30-2024, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riffle View Post
"Extremely long winters" is in the eye of the beholder. With respect to the original question, the post I quoted said to take temperatures out of the equation.

You may find this helpful:
https://www.weather.gov/unr/bhco
Oh that's not as bad as I thought. And it looks like the summer nights cool down to a reasonable temp.
Have you even been in Las Vegas in summer? Walking around at midnight when it's 100 degrees outside sure is weird!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.