Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2024, 10:19 PM

23 posts, read 9,264 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Crow View Post
"Ideal temperature 50-70, ok with 40 or 80-90 if dry and sunny."

Is that the range for highs across the year, across every and every day or something different? Unclear starting point.

"...close to a decent city..."

How close and how big is desired or acceptable?
50-70 is the ideal range anytime of the year, highs or lows.
Around 40 would be a minimum low.
Around 90 maximum high.
The above criteria would apply to most of the year.
Then a very short winter of about 2 months with lower temps than 40 would be acceptable, if sunny. Gray is not allowed near cold lol.
Also a short 1-2 months heat period in the summer would also be acceptable if not humid and not extremely dry.

Desired would be proximity to a big city that is fun and has a solid international airport. Let’s say less than 1 hour drive.
Acceptable would be anything at this point as long as the climate is there
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2024, 10:29 PM

Quote:
"Ideal temperature 50-70, ok with 40 or 80-90 if dry and sunny."

Is that the range for highs across the year, across each and every day or something different? Unclear starting point.

"...close to a decent city..."

How close and how big is desired or acceptable?

What would be your reaction to Wenatchee WA? LaGrande OR? Pocatello ID? Canyon or Wolfforth TX? Spearfish SD? Most or all too cold or plausible? Prescott or Cottonwood AZ?
These cities would be too dry, first thing that comes to my mind. Then the smoke in summer messes up the exact period when it’s not too cold and should be nice.

Old 04-20-2024, 11:31 PM

8,502 posts, read 8,802,096 times
So you want to be near a metro of 2+ million, maybe way more (for international airport), with no "real winter", dry but not arid looking and definitely nowhere in east or most of midwest because of humidity and probably not in most of west because of threat of smoke.

Probably doesn't exist without compromise outside of perhaps exact spots north / northeast area above San Francisco, maybe some exact dot slightly northeast of San Diego or coastal area or coastal mountains north of LA. Or maybe leeward Oahu.

Or spots in Mediterranean.

Cost an important consideration or not?

Last edited by NW Crow; 04-20-2024 at 11:59 PM..

Old 04-21-2024, 08:15 AM

27,231 posts, read 43,971,352 times
Quote:
So you want to be near a metro of 2+ million, maybe way more (for international airport), with no "real winter", dry but not arid looking and definitely nowhere in east or most of midwest because of humidity and probably not in most of west because of threat of smoke.

Probably doesn't exist without compromise outside of perhaps exact spots north / northeast area above San Francisco, maybe some exact dot slightly northeast of San Diego or coastal area or coastal mountains north of LA. Or maybe leeward Oahu.

That's one of the major stumpers. Is that even possible scientifically for greenery to exist in an arid landscape? Not to mention the allergy to humidity of any kind. Perhaps that bubble community in AZ if it's still around?

Old 04-21-2024, 08:28 AM

Quote:

Exact spot makes sense but I can’t find it.
Cost is not important.
It is very frustrating to look at such a huge territory as the U.S., with so many latitude options, but no balanced humidity levels. Half of it is too humid and then immediately transitions to arid.
Let’s say I take the temperature out of the equation and want nice dew points 30-45 with nice vegetation of mixed pastures and trees, not heavy forested jungles like in too many parts of the east. Also not crippled trees like in the Austin area. Would I find a place in between?

Old 04-21-2024, 08:51 AM

7,139 posts, read 4,552,321 times
Much of your weather criteria is similar to Reno where I live. I love the mild 4 seasons and very low humidity. Occasionally we get smoky from wildfires but it’s not a yearly occurrence. It’s absolutely beautiful here. The mild winter weather means you can always be outside year round. It’s sunny most of the time so rarely have a dreary day.

Old 04-21-2024, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
That's one of the major stumpers. Is that even possible scientifically for greenery to exist in an arid landscape? Not to mention the allergy to humidity of any kind. Perhaps that bubble community in AZ if it's still around?
I don’t want an arid landscape or too dry air. I hate high humidity, but don’t want to go to the extremes of arid.
That’s why I mentioned dew points around 30-45.
Don’t know much about bubble communities, sounds like sarcasm to me.

Old 04-21-2024, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
Much of your weather criteria is similar to Reno where I live. I love the mild 4 seasons and very low humidity. Occasionally we get smoky from wildfires but it’s not a yearly occurrence. It’s absolutely beautiful here. The mild winter weather means you can always be outside year round. It’s sunny most of the time so rarely have a dreary day.
Someone else mentioned Carson City before, I’ll look more into that area. Is there decent vegetation there or does it feel arid?

Old 04-21-2024, 10:27 AM

1,071 posts, read 793,341 times
I'm in Boise. Yes, we get winter inversions. I don't find it that bad, but I suppose this is very personal. Wildfire smoke is just a reality in the West. August 2020 was really bad here, but the last couple of years have been almost no smoke. It all just depends on where fires are located and wind direction. At times even the Bay Area has had very bad air quality, and let's not forest Summer 2023 on the East Coast.

As for your specific requirements, I'll suggest about 10-20 miles inland of the Northern California Coast. Typically 1-2 valleys from the ocean, as these micro climates meet most of your requirements. Not to hot, not to cold. Few if any freezing temperatures. Most summer nights cool off as the marine layer comes in. Good growing conditions. Usually oak woodlands and chaparral landscapes. There are periods of heavy rain, however, but that's the trade-off for having plants vs. a desert landscape. Specific suggestions: Santa Rosa, Napa, Walnut Creek, Pleasanton, San Ramon, Morgan Hill, Gilroy, Hollister. Air quality is better in places a little further from the Bay Area, such as Santa Rosa and Hollister.

Old 04-21-2024, 03:09 PM

1,249 posts, read 826,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dumbpuffin View Post
Exact spot makes sense but I can’t find it.
Cost is not important.
It is very frustrating to look at such a huge territory as the U.S., with so many latitude options, but no balanced humidity levels. Half of it is too humid and then immediately transitions to arid.
Let’s say I take the temperature out of the equation and want nice dew points 30-45 with nice vegetation of mixed pastures and trees, not heavy forested jungles like in too many parts of the east. Also not crippled trees like in the Austin area. Would I find a place in between?
Add Rapid City, SD to my previous list.

Do you have a picture of the landscape you like? It's hard to grow trees without rain

You basically want:
- a cold semi-arid climate (e.g. Reno) without cold winters and not too arid
- a cool-summer Mediterranean climate (e.g. San Luis Obispo) without rainy/cloudy winters
- an oceanic climate (e.g. Sequim) without rain and clouds

All of which seem like contradictions.

Last edited by JMT; 04-21-2024 at 08:40 PM.. Reason: North America only
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.