Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2024, 06:57 PM

27 posts, read 13,731 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by riffle View Post
Add Rapid City, SD to my previous list.

Do you have a picture of the landscape you like? It's hard to grow trees without rain

You basically want:
- a cold semi-arid climate (e.g. Reno) without cold winters and not too arid
- a cool-summer Mediterranean climate (e.g. San Luis Obispo) without rainy/cloudy winters
- an oceanic climate (e.g. Sequim) without rain and clouds

All of which seem like contradictions.
Yes, I am guilty of contradictions lol
I’ll attach some pictures

This would be the type of vegetation I like. The actual area photographed has very good air humidity with dew points a little over 30.
Attached Thumbnails
Does my happy place exist?-5936e963-ae28-4588-be57-61d473b7b82a.jpeg   Does my happy place exist?-c63d31ce-7d48-498b-92e9-1b8618715209.jpeg  

Last edited by JMT; 04-21-2024 at 08:41 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2024, 08:51 PM

537 posts, read 266,083 times
San Diego

Old 04-22-2024, 06:07 AM

1,261 posts, read 833,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dumbpuffin View Post
This would be the type of vegetation I like. The actual area photographed has very good air humidity with dew points a little over 30.
Where is that?

San Luis Obispo would be visually close. Or the Black Hills / Rapid City albeit not so lush.

Old 04-22-2024, 09:26 AM

7,184 posts, read 4,593,016 times
Quote:
Someone else mentioned Carson City before, I’ll look more into that area. Is there decent vegetation there or does it feel arid?
Within 45 minutes you can be in Lake Tahoe which has forests and is absolutely beautiful. There’s tons of great hiking trails. No it doesn’t feel arid here.

Old 04-22-2024, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Crow View Post
With this fussy about climate, I'll ask how many hours per day on average you currently spend outside and how many would you in your ideal climate? How many days per week outside for more than 1-2 hours, in winter and summer?
I currently spend between 3 and 5 hours per day outside do to playing sports and playing with kids. I don’t enjoy it but I do it. In a better climate, I would add gardening to my activities. And just outside work. I love outdoors, that’s why I want to find a better climate after a long time of trying to adapt to the wrong one. Big mistake and waist of time.

Old 04-22-2024, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Humid haters should really pick the most suitable part of day or night to be outside, travel elsewhere in summer, dress very light, seek out breezes or make them, etc.

Many to most should recognize how little time they actually spend outside in whatever conditions they don't like or even in what they do like.

Lovers of the outdoors often go regardless of weather or at least "enough" by taking advantage of best available weather.

Places sufficiently west of Omaha or OKC can have significantly less precipitation. Humidity / dew point may not have as much difference but that is on OP to research, if any interest.

Perfect or near perfect can be found a few places. "Better" can be found many places.
I’ve tried to deal with humidity in many ways with little success until I realized it’s more than the humid air. It’s the barometric pressure and other mysterious factors that play along.
You mentioned OKC and I remember driving from Denver to OKC and feeling good, then passing OKC about 50 miles max and starting to feel something. Like it was cloudy without being cloudy. And no, it’s not mental. This year I was in OKC and it was raining and all gray but with a low dew point and I was perfectly fine. They say summers are brutal there, so I wouldn’t just trust my 2 little experiences. On the other hand, there is a line between east and west that I could actually feel
I wander if anyone whether sensitive moved to OKC from more eastern places and noticed an improvement or not.

Old 04-22-2024, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Humid haters should really pick the most suitable part of day or night to be outside, travel elsewhere in summer, dress very light, seek out breezes or make them, etc.

Many to most should recognize how little time they actually spend outside in whatever conditions they don't like or even in what they do like.

Lovers of the outdoors often go regardless of weather or at least "enough" by taking advantage of best available weather.

Places sufficiently west of Omaha or OKC can have significantly less precipitation. Humidity / dew point may not have as much difference but that is on OP to research, if any interest.

Perfect or near perfect can be found a few places. "Better" can be found many places.

Such good advice about the culture and other factors! Believe me, I have them in mind. I’m afraid to voice them add to an already difficult task. I’ve also traveled a lot and that confused me/ disappointed me even more

Old 04-22-2024, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
Within 45 minutes you can be in Lake Tahoe which has forests and is absolutely beautiful. There’s tons of great hiking trails. No it doesn’t feel arid here.
When you say it doesn’t feel arid, is it the vegetation or the air is not too dry?

Old 04-22-2024, 07:24 PM

30,398 posts, read 52,011,068 times
Quote:
There is something about Las Vegas brown landscape that is too extreme to me and the air is so dry. On the other hand, the temperatures are not bad for a good part of the year, the sunshine is very appealing and the entertainment could come in handy sometimes
They said Las Vegas, NEW MEXICO - not Nevada. Similar, but then again not really.

That being said, if we're talking about unlimited resources (as you didn't give us a budget or anything else to go on), I'd recommend the Central Coast of California. Don't pay attention to "dew points," as west coast humid isn't the same as southeast/midwest humid. It's just hella foggy lol. Look into maybe San Luis Obispo, Morro Bay, Monterey, and thereabouts. Lovely weather, breathtaking scenery. Also, where I live might fit the bill. I'm in the Santa Cruz Mountains! Weather is pretty darned nice, and we have some beautiful scenery to boot:

Last edited by gizmo980; 04-22-2024 at 08:41 PM..

Old 04-23-2024, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
They said Las Vegas, NEW MEXICO - not Nevada. Similar, but then again not really.

That being said, if we're talking about unlimited resources (as you didn't give us a budget or anything else to go on), I'd recommend the Central Coast of California. Don't pay attention to "dew points," as west coast humid isn't the same as southeast/midwest humid. It's just hella foggy lol. Look into maybe San Luis Obispo, Morro Bay, Monterey, and thereabouts. Lovely weather, breathtaking scenery. Also, where I live might fit the bill. I'm in the Santa Cruz Mountains! Weather is pretty darned nice, and we have some beautiful scenery to boot:
Lol about Las Vegas, it would still be a little too arid though. I’m doing research on all these places in California, trying to ignore the smoke/ wild fires issue. And other issues lol. Money wouldn’t be a problem or that may actually be the problem and make it hard to compromise. It’s really frustrating to be able to move anywhere but struggle to find a place
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.