Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2024, 06:20 PM

7 posts, read 6,695 times

Advertisements

I was reading through the forum and came across this post:

[url]https://www.city-data.com/forum/general-u-s/3100344-best-cities-young-single-conservatives.html[/url]

And I want to know what the differences might be for a good city for a single conservative man vs a single conservative woman.

Right now, I'm living in a city that's similar to Madison, WI or Eugene, OR. I'm more reserved and there's a big party scene here, and most of the single straight guys I encounter are frat boy party types or super outdoorsy people who want to do what I'd consider excessive outdoor activities. Very few of them share my values. I have the same issue with finding good girlfriends here honestly, though I have found a few. I'll have the means to move soon.

After reading through the thread I linked and doing my own research, I'm considering looking into cities in Utah, Tennessee, Texas, and Oklahoma.

I would imagine that some of the suggestions for the single men are based on male/female ratio. A city that has slightly more men than women might rule out some of the VA suggestions.

I'm happy to elaborate on what I'm looking for exactly if needed, but moreso I'm just curious– would you suggest the same cities to a young, single conservative man as to a young, single, conservative woman?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2024, 07:13 PM

6,372 posts, read 4,985,124 times
San Diego, if you can make it happen financially, has more men than women and is more conservative than the other coastal CA cities (large military presence).

Reno, NV might be a little on the outdoorsy side (though none of my friends when I lived there were into that) and is a politically moderate city that's also majority male.

In Texas, Austin is the only major city that's majority male (Midland too, but everything I've heard says there's no reason to be there unless you work in oil). Austin is known for turning red quickly outside the city limits -- and I can't imagine it's outdoorsy, there aren't really mountains near there.

Could also look into Bellevue, WA -- hear me out. It's more liberal than conservative overall, but it's nothing like Seattle. Very pro-police, minimal homelessness in public. Large male:female ratio because of the tech companies in the area (Amazon, Microsoft, Nintendo, etc). But plenty of men are just normal guys with white-collar jobs who dress reasonably well. And they are not all outdoorsy.

Old 03-27-2024, 08:22 PM

479 posts, read 242,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimidBlueBars View Post
San Diego, if you can make it happen financially, has more men than women and is more conservative than the other coastal CA cities (large military presence).

Reno, NV might be a little on the outdoorsy side (though none of my friends when I lived there were into that) and is a politically moderate city that's also majority male.

In Texas, Austin is the only major city that's majority male (Midland too, but everything I've heard says there's no reason to be there unless you work in oil). Austin is known for turning red quickly outside the city limits -- and I can't imagine it's outdoorsy, there aren't really mountains near there.

Could also look into Bellevue, WA -- hear me out. It's more liberal than conservative overall, but it's nothing like Seattle. Very pro-police, minimal homelessness in public. Large male:female ratio because of the tech companies in the area (Amazon, Microsoft, Nintendo, etc). But plenty of men are just normal guys with white-collar jobs who dress reasonably well. And they are not all outdoorsy.
Not sure about that. Austin is pretty hilly and one of the fittest cities in the US and especially the south. it is not conservative however.

Old 03-27-2024, 08:44 PM

7 posts, read 6,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimidBlueBars View Post

Thank you! I will look into these. I'm definitely not opposed at all to suburbs (I have a job that I can work anywhere), so the surrounding areas might be good to check out

Old 03-27-2024, 08:51 PM

37,121 posts, read 39,337,475 times
Maybe Oklahoma City? Oklahoma seems to be a very conservative state.

Old 03-27-2024, 09:29 PM

17,772 posts, read 13,665,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Maybe Oklahoma City? Oklahoma seems to be a very conservative state.
OKC is conservative... but it sounds like she is looking for "white collar" church going conservative boys. And while that exists here... it is in limited supply compared to other places.

Now if she wants huntin', fishin', two steppin', gun rangin' conservatives... our cup runneth over here.

For corporate conservative types... DFW is the only place to go. Park yourself in the north Dallas suburbs... find a good Bible believing church... and there should be connections to good white collar guys who's outdoor activities are pretty consists of just golfing on Saturday mornings. So nothing to be scared of.

Old 03-27-2024, 09:39 PM

4,435 posts, read 6,296,352 times
TN metros, Northern ATL burbs or Charlotte burbs would be a good fit. DFW or Austin, there’s a good mix in the burbs of both. Austin will have more variety in outdoorsy things close by. As for Oklahoma, perhaps Tulsa?

Old 03-28-2024, 01:03 AM

9 posts, read 5,693 times
I think the cities you mentioned are worth considering, these cities offer a balanced mix of social environment and shared values regardless of gender.

Old 03-28-2024, 03:03 AM

325 posts, read 203,705 times
New Braunfels (outside of San Antonio) would be worth looking into. Not a "big city" in and of itself, it's a shade over 100k people, but it's booming like crazy, downtown has a decent nightlife, and Comal County is dark red. You also get the benefit of being 25-30 mins from SA and 45 from Austin.

Boerne is another deep red town outside of San Antonio. Not as big as New Braunfels but it's 15-20 mins outside of the 1604/I-10 area in SA where there's a luxury mall, nightlife, UTSA, etc. Nice little downtown and I'm pretty sure some of the Black Rifle Coffee people + Demolition Ranch live out there... so very much a conservative scene. Not sure how it would be being single and 20 something but it's a really nice area.

Some of the outer loop suburbs of San Antonio are pretty conservative politically too. Stone Oak, Shavano Park, Dominion/Cresta Bella area. Honestly even the city is "democrat" but it's more of a blue collar kind of democrat. Not a whole lot of the Portland/Austin/SF kind of stuff. Socially I'd say it leans on the conservative side as a whole. SA is also a huge military city so it has that aspect.

DFW would also be a safe bet. My guess would be Fort Worth or Collin County but the nicer areas of Dallas didn't strike me as very liberal.

Same thing with Houston but I'm pretty sure Montgomery County is where most of the right leaning people are.

I probably wouldn't go to Austin specifically seeking out conservative stuff. Williamson/Hays county are going to be more red.. but meh.

Old 03-28-2024, 08:32 AM

1,066 posts, read 782,609 times
The west coast, including San Diego, is far more liberal than you're looking for.

I would generally avoid the mountain west to minimize the outdoorsy types - note my username and location This includes Utah.

Minimizing frat guys means avoiding cities dominated by a university.

So I think you're looking for somewhat larger cities located in more conservative Midwestern and Southern states: Omaha, OKC, DFW, Tallahassee, Nashville, Cincinnati, etc. Many of these cities will be somewhat liberal overall, but there will be a reasonable mix of conservatives and liberals. I'm not necessarily recommending these as good places to live, really depends on what else you're looking for and you haven't given us a lot to go on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.