Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2024, 12:46 PM

12,805 posts, read 9,532,543 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkwensky View Post
Have you been to Austin? Even DC feels hillier, at least in the parts that visitors go.
Austin's political leaning has been discussed elsewhere and it is by no means settled that something like that can be fully determined by voting patterns.
Austin is very hilly. Not sure if you’ve been west of downtown? It is also liberal for anywhere, not just Texas. I feel like it’s more liberal than Denver tbh
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2024, 12:52 PM

8,319 posts, read 5,478,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Any southern city, maybe outside of Atlanta, Asheville and Austin works
None of the major southern cities would fit the bill, however all of the major southern cities have suburbs that fits what the OP wants nicely.

Old 03-28-2024, 12:56 PM

6,538 posts, read 12,032,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by achtung baby View Post
^^depends on where in FL.

Anecdotal, but the most bible-thumping, god-loving, vanity hunting (in Africa) and conservative-leaning person i know lives in Austin. (And she has many local tribes.)

OP sounds like she’ll find her tribe in Dallas. A lot of “Southern Preppy”, prissy and pretty, church-going, prim and proper sweet ol’ former sorority sisters who end up marrying pastel-wearing, weekend hunting, finance bros (who were formerly frat bros) who live in the Park cities with their 2.5 kids and wall-to-wall wallpaper drawing room & their impeccable life.

Atlanta, too. Piedmont Driving Club, Buckhead, genteel, Southern Preppy.
Not so much in the 2020's. Even Buckhead has become more urban and liberal in recent years.

Another city I might recommend is the Jacksonville area.

Old 03-28-2024, 01:12 PM

1,029 posts, read 561,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post
Not so much in the 2020's. Even Buckhead has become more urban and liberal in recent years.

Buckhead is urban, but go to Piedmont Driving Club on the weekends, you still see bowties, cigars, pastel or plaid (the Scottish type, not the Portlandia Lumber Chic type.) button down shirt with carefully pressed-linen pants, and navy blazer with gold buttons on men, women in their “WASPY” headband, floating shirt dresses that cost about $500-$1000 a piece, very manicured and demure.-all after their church gathering. Very proper and prim. They even summer in Nantucket just like the WASPs back East. “Family value” is very big among this crowd. Good people (if not a bit clique-y), religious, charitable, impeccable manner, but definitely lean both socially and fiscally conservative.

First hand experience. (Friends whose family is prominent in Buckhead.)

Old 03-28-2024, 01:17 PM

27,164 posts, read 43,857,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post

Jacksonville is no longer a conservative city and is roughly 50-50 given explosive population growth largely from more progressive out of state transplants.

Old 03-28-2024, 01:35 PM

2,217 posts, read 1,392,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkwensky View Post
Have you been to Austin? Even DC feels hillier, at least in the parts that visitors go.
Austin's political leaning has been discussed elsewhere and it is by no means settled that something like that can be fully determined by voting patterns.
Yes I live in Austin.. Half of the city is in the Texas Hill Country and even the east side and downtown is rolling foothills. Try running the Austin Marathon or Cap 10k. DC is most definitely not as hilly as Austin.

https://maps.app.goo.gl/So7WcrCZSVjmX6Uk8

I'm more of a centrist myself so I wouldn't mind if Austin was more conservative, but that's just not reality. We just had our version of Chesa Boudin demolish his more moderate Democrat challenger, for example. (I voted for the other guy.)

https://www.kxan.com/news/your-local...attorney-race/

Old 03-28-2024, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whereiend View Post

I'm more of a centrist myself so I wouldn't mind if Austin was more conservative, but that's just not reality. We just had our version of Chesa Boudin demolish his more moderate Democrat challenger, for example. (I voted for the other guy.)

https://www.kxan.com/news/your-local...attorney-race/
Houston had virtually the same thing. Moderate Democrat DA ousted for a Progressive (albeit not as looney as Chesa Boudin):

https://seanteareforda.com/issues/

Every big city down South is blue except Fort Worth and Miami. But every city has lots of suburbs that are conservative.

Old 03-28-2024, 02:08 PM

2,217 posts, read 1,392,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
Houston had virtually the same thing. Moderate Democrat DA ousted for a Progressive (albeit not as looney as Chesa Boudin):

https://seanteareforda.com/issues/

Every big city down South is blue except Fort Worth and Miami. But every city has lots of suburbs that are conservative.
Houston is still substantially less blue than Austin, though. Austin is much closer to NYC, LA, Portland, and Chicago than to Houston (or any other major southern city, for that matter). To call it "blue for Texas" is very misleading.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/featu...-checkout=true

Perhaps people mistake "conservative state government clamps down on liberal policy" for "Austinites aren't actually that liberal." Or they are just making stuff up with no personal experience, I'm not sure.

Old 03-28-2024, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whereiend View Post
Houston is still substantially less blue than Austin, though. Austin is much closer to NYC, LA, Portland, and Chicago than to Houston. To call or "blue for Texas" is very misleading.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/featu...-checkout=true
What about anything you just wrote contradicts what I wrote though? I did not say Houston was as blue as Austin, only that Houston (just like Dallas, Atlanta, Nashville, Birmingham, etc.) are blue. I said all major cities in the South sans Fort Worth and Miami are blue and they are, but that also there are conservative suburbs where the OP would fit in. Even if the OP was sold on the Austin area (which I know shes not), she would fit in just fine in Bastrop and especially Burnet Counties.

Last edited by As Above So Below...; 03-28-2024 at 02:19 PM..

Old 03-28-2024, 02:15 PM

2,847 posts, read 2,165,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Austin is very hilly. Not sure if you’ve been west of downtown? It is also liberal for anywhere, not just Texas. I feel like it’s more liberal than Denver tbh
I know it would be hilly near Mt Bonnell and on the west side but I don't remember noticing it in the CBD. When I walked from Zilker to downtown and other areas it never felt like climbing. In terms of elevation changes I would not compare it to SF.

As for whether Austin is liberal for Texas or the nation I remember a thread on that years ago and I thought you were on the side that Austin is not that liberal. The main reason people say it's not as liberal as the likes of Portland or SF is that the immediate suburbs are too red. Perhaps the point is that Austin is more liberal in reputation than actuality because of the contrast with the state. Like San Diego would not have a conservative reputation if it's in Oklahoma not California.

Just curious what made you think Austin is more liberal?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.