Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2015, 01:58 AM

23,813 posts, read 34,657,307 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post
That may prove difficult with the onslaught of Publix and strong competition from Harris Teeter. It will be interesting to see how well they survive, or if they eventually end up selling out to one of these previously mentioned competitors. But I wish them luck, as that may be one of their last remaining stores in the Charlotte region.
I suspect that the chain is just waiting for the right buy out offer. It's too bad. I liked them.

I suspect that there will continue to be upheaval. Once Lidl arrives, the Germans will probably pretty much own discount groceries. They won't put Wal-Mart out of business, but it will put a stop to the recent expansion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2015, 05:37 AM

743 posts, read 825,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
I suspect that the chain is just waiting for the right buy out offer. It's too bad. I liked them.

I suspect that there will continue to be upheaval. Once Lidl arrives, the Germans will probably pretty much own discount groceries. They won't put Wal-Mart out of business, but it will put a stop to the recent expansion.
Lowe's is basically the retail division of MDI which services over 600 stores, so they do serve a purpose. They also run a discount chain called Just Save Foods & actually opened a store in Charlotte a year or so ago. I think they thought it was in their best interest to pull out of Charlotte & the Triangle & focus on their home turf in the Triad. HT or Publix is attached to almost every proposed grocery anchored center in Charlotte & prime locations are difficult to find

Old 07-10-2015, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by js4life View Post
Lowe's is basically the retail division of MDI which services over 600 stores, so they do serve a purpose. They also run a discount chain called Just Save Foods & actually opened a store in Charlotte a year or so ago. I think they thought it was in their best interest to pull out of Charlotte & the Triangle & focus on their home turf in the Triad. HT or Publix is attached to almost every proposed grocery anchored center in Charlotte & prime locations are difficult to find
Umm. . .& the explanation for pulling out of Gastonia, where they were very popular & announcing a store in Greenville, SC fits your theory in which way? I get why they pulled out of Shelby since Harris Teeter also pulled out as they just were not competing well with Ingles. Greenville, SC has Publix & Ingles.

Old 07-10-2015, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Umm. . .& the explanation for pulling out of Gastonia, where they were very popular & announcing a store in Greenville, SC fits your theory in which way? I get why they pulled out of Shelby since Harris Teeter also pulled out as they just were not competing well with Ingles. Greenville, SC has Publix & Ingles.
Simple non of the stores they opened in the Charlotte market did enough volume to justify keeping them open except for the store in Harrisburg which was the only one they didn't sell to HT. It not uncommon for grocery stores to fail in one area & do well in others, HT fell on it's face in Atlanta but hit it big in DC for example .

Old 07-10-2015, 11:36 AM

6,321 posts, read 10,335,027 times
I had almost forgotten about their Greenville, SC announcement.

They did recently say their first store there will be in Greer and should open next summer

Lowes Foods opening first upstate store in Greer - SCNow: State

Old 07-10-2015, 11:52 AM

Quote:

Simple non of the stores they opened in the Charlotte market did enough volume to justify keeping them open except for the store in Harrisburg which was the only one they didn't sell to HT. It not uncommon for grocery stores to fail in one area & do well in others, HT fell on it's face in Atlanta but hit it big in DC for example .
You are aware that Alex Lee, who owns Lowes Foods, did not include the Gastonia stores with the closures, aren't you? In fact, they left Charlotte & increased their presence in Gastonia.

You didn't explain how your theory fits with Alex Lee announcing the store in the Greenville, SC market. That's not consolidating in the Triad, by my understanding of geography.

Old 07-10-2015, 01:27 PM

Quote:
You are aware that Alex Lee, who owns Lowes Foods, did not include the Gastonia stores with the closures, aren't you? In fact, they left Charlotte & increased their presence in Gastonia.

You didn't explain how your theory fits with Alex Lee announcing the store in the Greenville, SC market. That's not consolidating in the Triad, by my understanding of geography.
I forgot about the Gastonia stores but they did close a year or so after the Charlotte stores were sold ? Lowes thinks they can make money in Greensville & I guess we shall see

Old 07-10-2015, 01:33 PM

Quote:

I forgot about the Gastonia stores but they did close a year or so after the Charlotte stores were sold ? Lowes thinks they can make money in Greensville & I guess we shall see

Old 07-10-2015, 01:42 PM

Quote:
The Lowes stores in Charlotte did a swap with Harris Teeter & got money because their Charlotte stores were worth more that the Harris Teeter stores. The Gastonia stores closed down a few months ago, so more than a year later.

Harris Teeter wasn't doing well against Ingles. Apparently Lowes didn't fair much better. They were left with only 2 of the Gastonia stores & Publix bought one of them. They're going to be competing with Publix & Ingles in the Greenville market. They failed to compete with Ingles in Asheville & Shelby.

Old 07-10-2015, 07:16 PM

5,158 posts, read 7,346,591 times
Quote:
The Lowes stores in Charlotte did a swap with Harris Teeter & got money because their Charlotte stores were worth more that the Harris Teeter stores. The Gastonia stores closed down a few months ago, so more than a year later.

Harris Teeter wasn't doing well against Ingles. Apparently Lowes didn't fair much better. They were left with only 2 of the Gastonia stores & Publix bought one of them. They're going to be competing with Publix & Ingles in the Greenville market. They failed to compete with Ingles in Asheville & Shelby.
And Harris Teeter is also returning to Greenville, SC with an upscale flagship store. And I would guess they may have more locations for HT in mind as they return to the Upstate. And this time they now have the strong financial backing of Kroger. So Lowe's will be up against the same formidable competition that caused them to withdraw from Charlotte: Publix and Harris Teeter. As well as Ingle's. So they will definitely have a bit of a challenge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte