Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2015, 03:15 PM

5,158 posts, read 7,346,591 times

Advertisements

Yes you are quite correct and an oversight on my part. Walmart Neighborhood Market is another major player now in the Charlotte grocery market, and their smaller store, low price format is most directly impacting Food Lion and Bi-Lo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2015, 03:33 PM

23,813 posts, read 34,657,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post
I often purchase the Chek Cola at Bi-Lo, as it is very reasonably priced and as good as the name brand soda. It is a holdover product from Winn Dixie and always on sale. I like the Check Zero and the Diet Orange. Unfortunately, there is no Diet Mtn. Dew version of Chek, so I will try the Walmart Mtn. Spring, Ingle's Laura Lynn, or Food Lion versions instead. Unless there is a good sale on the real Diet Mtn. Dew at Publix or Bi-Lo which are my closest stores. Unfortunately, Publix does not have a Diet Mtn. Dew type soda either.
For a Mt Dew clone it's the Aldi version, hands down. In fact, when I moved here I had a local & his grandson doing work for me. I had picked up some Mt Dew for them & I was drinking the Aldi version. The grandfather tried the Aldi version & told the grandson that the Mt Dew was his.

I tried the Laura Lynn version once. No thanks. Now you may feel differently.

Old 07-06-2015, 05:28 PM

1,051 posts, read 1,597,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneuvakind View Post
Here ya go. Palmetto Farms has a locator where you can find their nearest location.

Palmetto Cheese The Pimento Cheese with Soul
This is actually Palmetto Cheese which is a national brand where as Palmetto Farms was a Winn Dixie brand. I have heard this is a very good product though.

Old 07-06-2015, 10:14 PM

21,020 posts, read 27,221,764 times
Quote:
Well Ahold acquiring Delhaize is a major move and its impact has yet to be determined. Most significantly will Food Lion remain or be converted? Will a struggling Bi-Lo continue to hang on? And will Lowe's Foods and Ingle's remain at the fringes of the Charlotte market? From what I perceive, there are 3 major factors that are redefining the Charlotte grocery market in recent months: The Kroger acquisition of Harris Teeter, Ahold acquiring Delhaize, and the arrival of Publix in the Charlotte region. First casualty is the retreat of Lowe's Foods, and Bi-Lo may be next. Delhaize joined forces with Ahold to strengthen Food Lion and its overall market presence in the United States in the midst of this strong competition.
UPDATE: Let me add a 4th major factor, as pointed out as an oversight. The addition of Walmart Neighborhood Market is now a competitive force in the Charlotte region, most directly influencing Food Lion and Bi-Lo with their smaller store, low price format.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-LI View Post
There's also the aggressive expansion of Walmart's Neighborhood Market stores in the area. They go into places that have not allowed a full sized Walmart store.
Ahold Delhaize, if the acquisition is approved and completed, would implement changes as early as 2016. Food Lion would be an opportunity for improvement to reach a level with Giant Food of Maryland, Giant Food Stores, Hannaford, Martin's, and Stop and Shop by providing the necessities of food and pharmacy, quality products and fresh foods through competitive low prices and excellent customer service.

Lowe's Foods, which announced its intent to enter the Greenville, South Carolina market four months ago, has been very quiet recently. I would question the decision to move into an adjacent region when Lowe's Foods has failed in the Charlotte region. Not confirming additional locations and no construction on one announced location could be a sign that expansion plans may be on hold. Although I like the enhanced service stations of Beer Den, Chicken Kitchen, Pick and Prep and Sausageworks, Lowe's Foods has opportunities to improve such as adding pharmacies to its stores. Few locations have fuel centers.

Southeastern Grocers, parent of Bi-Lo, and Ingle's Markets were mentioned in Supermarket News as chains up for acquisition and consolidation. Southeastern Grocers' footprint of approximately 800 stores in Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Louisiana, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina and Tennessee could be an attractive target for a major chain (i.e. Kroger, Albertson's) wanting to strengthen its position in the southeastern United States.

Walmart Neighborhood Market is doing well to succeed. It always has opportunities for improvement in offering quality products and fresh foods at competitive low prices and excellent customer service. Walmart Express stores that converted to Walmart Neighborhood Market could use improvements with the addition of bakery, delicatessen, meat and produce departments, or they could revert back to Walmart Express to focus as a convenience store instead of a supermarket.

Publix confirmed two weeks ago it will open a store in New Bern in 2016. This is a bold move considering stores in Fayetteville, Greenville and Wilmington have not been announced yet. Burlington, Chapel Hill, Durham, Goldsboro, Greensboro, Hickory, High Point, Jacksonville, Kannapolis, Kinston, Rocky Mount and Wilson are also speculated to be on Publix's radar. As Publix's Charlotte Divison grows into new markets and through additional stores, it would be beneficial to consider a distribution center to serve the division. Charlotte Division stores are served by the Atlanta Division's facilities in Austell and Lawrenceville, Georgia.

Further reading:
Zwiebach, Elliot. "Consolidation: Southeastern, publicly held conventionals could be next." Supermarket News. 2015-07-06.

Old 07-07-2015, 04:18 AM

52,433 posts, read 26,603,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pumbaa View Post
This is actually Palmetto Cheese which is a national brand where as Palmetto Farms was a Winn Dixie brand. I have heard this is a very good product though.
It's OK. I think as their production as increased, they have cheapened it somewhat. (too much mayonnaise)

IMO, Three Guys Pimento Cheese (made in Greensboro) is the best you can get if you don't make it yourself. It's also the right consistency. You can find Three Guys at Harris Teeter and Whole Foods.

Old 07-07-2015, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
For a Mt Dew clone it's the Aldi version, hands down. In fact, when I moved here I had a local & his grandson doing work for me. I had picked up some Mt Dew for them & I was drinking the Aldi version. The grandfather tried the Aldi version & told the grandson that the Mt Dew was his.

I tried the Laura Lynn version once. No thanks. Now you may feel differently.
Will check out the Aldi brand of Mtn. Dew and see if they have a diet version. I usually get the Diet Mtn. Spring at Walmart because they are closest and I prefer it over the Laura Lynn version at Ingle's.

Old 07-07-2015, 05:32 PM

23,813 posts, read 34,657,307 times
Quote:
Will check out the Aldi brand of Mtn. Dew and see if they have a diet version. I usually get the Diet Mtn. Spring at Walmart because they are closest and I prefer it over the Laura Lynn version at Ingle's.
I don't know if Aldi has a diet version occasionally as a weekly special. It's not regularly available. I have seen diet versions of soda as weekly specials. However, if you have a bigger newer Aldi that might be different. Just keep your eye out.

Old 07-08-2015, 08:37 AM

6,321 posts, read 10,335,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post

Lowe's Foods, which announced its intent to enter the Greenville, South Carolina market four months ago, has been very quiet recently. I would question the decision to move into an adjacent region when Lowe's Foods has failed in the Charlotte region. Not confirming additional locations and no construction on one announced location could be a sign that expansion plans may be on hold. Although I like the enhanced service stations of Beer Den, Chicken Kitchen, Pick and Prep and Sausageworks, Lowe's Foods has opportunities to improve such as adding pharmacies to its stores. Few locations have fuel centers.
Speaking of Lowes, their remodeled store in Harrisburg is now complete. Hopefully it can survive.

Old 07-08-2015, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
Speaking of Lowes, their remodeled store in Harrisburg is now complete. Hopefully it can survive.
That may prove difficult with the onslaught of Publix and strong competition from Harris Teeter. It will be interesting to see how well they survive, or if they eventually end up selling out to one of these previously mentioned competitors. But I wish them luck, as that may be one of their last remaining stores in the Charlotte region.

Old 07-09-2015, 03:52 PM

Harris Teeter announced today they are expanding their Cotswold store and adding a 2nd level. According to the Charlotte Observer. Possibly because of the new Publix.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte