Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2021, 12:13 PM

6,793 posts, read 5,659,752 times

Advertisements

I think its a simple case of, we see what we want to see. We find what we are looking for.

None of this exists in 95% of the South..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2021, 12:35 PM

16,066 posts, read 21,127,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m1a1mg View Post
It's funny that the OP continues to make posts reminding folks about the Civil War. You don't need to be a racist or a Confederate believer to grow weary of these types of comments.

Finally, to the OP, how many times have you been told to go back to where you came? How often do you hear derogatory comments from people?
yeah, I noticed that too.
Then there are the assumptions that "yankee" is always a bad word, and that only people from the northeast are Yankees (mmmm, people from OH and MN are yankees too ya know) . I get the feeling that OP really doesn't 'get' the south.
As a yankee who moved to the deep south and halfway back again I've been confused and sometimes frustrated by some southernisms (can we call that a word?) but I've never felt unwanted or unwelcome, and now I've become a damn yankee, you know, the kind who never went back home. The south is great, except the heat and humidity part.

Old 07-10-2021, 09:33 PM

1,970 posts, read 2,234,027 times
FWIW, I have been called Yankee a few times, all of them amusing:

1. By a Texas woman in 2011, very intoxicated, in Oklahoma. I am from Kansas City.

2. By a Memphis flight attendant in 2005, aboard an Amsterdam-Memphis flight on legacy Northwest Airlines. She called almost everyone in the lightly-filled business class a Yankee, including the Dutch passengers. Fortunately, another FA finished the service. ( and I posted this contemporaneously on a different site, yes -- it really happened )

3. In Richmond in 2009, when I parked my rented Volvo with Connecticut plates. LOLOLOL

I live in Florida now, and I haven't heard the term in many years.

Old 07-11-2021, 02:33 PM

3,590 posts, read 4,351,036 times
It's such a common misconception that "sir" and "ma'am" are about age. I think jonrd463 summed it up nicely.

Old 07-18-2021, 06:38 AM

7,974 posts, read 7,347,835 times
We're finishing up vacation here (spent the past several days at Sullivan's Island, Folly Beach, and exploring Charleston and all the other historic sights in the vicinity). We're enjoying it immensely, but I noticed there IS a lot of urban sprawl. We visited the Angel Tree (the 400 plus year-old oak tree), and were dismayed to learn that it came close to being chopped down to make way for an 800-house development. Thankfully the locals fought so hard and saved it. It's truly magnificent, BTW...make sure you take time to see it if you're in the area. A bit out of the way, but really worth it.

There wouldn't be any need for all the development if northerners wouldn't relocate there. A lot of the "locals" we spoke with are bemoaning the deforestation and urbanization of the area. One said, "They're cutting down all the trees...that's why we can't breathe!"

Old 07-18-2021, 06:52 AM

4,605 posts, read 3,295,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Skeffington View Post

There wouldn't be any need for all the development if northerners wouldn't relocate there. A lot of the "locals" we spoke with are bemoaning the deforestation and urbanization of the area. One said, "They're cutting down all the trees...that's why we can't breathe!"
Was that written tongue in cheek? I hope no one would be silly enough to think that northerners just flood down into a place and defile it. It's not like a wildfire that just spreads on its own.

In order for a place to be overrun with housing subdivisions, city and/or county governments have to approve the usage of that land. Only in Houston, Texas, are there no zoning laws. In order for a gas station to be put on the corner where you live, your town's zoning dept. had to approve it. We get the government we vote for, and if a place is getting overrun, with anyone or anything, people who live there need to open their eyes and watch what's going on. If your city is approving the use of open land for something you don't want there, it is up to you to make your voice heard.

Old 07-18-2021, 07:33 AM

7,974 posts, read 7,347,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndcairngorm View Post
Was that written tongue in cheek? I hope no one would be silly enough to think that northerners just flood down into a place and defile it. It's not like a wildfire that just spreads on its own.

In order for a place to be overrun with housing subdivisions, city and/or county governments have to approve the usage of that land. Only in Houston, Texas, are there no zoning laws. In order for a gas station to be put on the corner where you live, your town's zoning dept. had to approve it. We get the government we vote for, and if a place is getting overrun, with anyone or anything, people who live there need to open their eyes and watch what's going on. If your city is approving the use of open land for something you don't want there, it is up to you to make your voice heard.
Well, I'm glad the locals did make their voices heard when the fought to save the Angel Tree. And they won.

Old 07-18-2021, 07:57 AM

39 posts, read 16,381 times
Frankly I don’t concern myself with the attitudes/ poor manners of those who look down on others based on where they came from. Most of my neighbors are natives and have always been neighborly. The few who are rude, refuse to say “good morning” when you pass them on the street or are otherwise simply disagreeable I just smile and keep on moving. Life is too short for pettiness. Live the golden rule and enjoy the day. I love S.C.

Old 07-18-2021, 08:10 AM

1,912 posts, read 1,127,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Skeffington View Post
We're finishing up vacation here (spent the past several days at Sullivan's Island, Folly Beach, and exploring Charleston and all the other historic sights in the vicinity). We're enjoying it immensely, but I noticed there IS a lot of urban sprawl. We visited the Angel Tree (the 400 plus year-old oak tree), and were dismayed to learn that it came close to being chopped down to make way for an 800-house development. Thankfully the locals fought so hard and saved it. It's truly magnificent, BTW...make sure you take time to see it if you're in the area. A bit out of the way, but really worth it.

But if you look at online forums, the locals in SC seem to be clamoring for growth, no matter what, and even without population growth, suburban sprawl uses increasing amounts of land.

I’m all for zero population growth, but that goes against what people in SC seem to want, and land use can be controlled better, population growth or not.

Old 07-18-2021, 10:47 AM

5,716 posts, read 4,683,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSPNative View Post
But if you look at online forums, the locals in SC seem to be clamoring for growth, no matter what, and even without population growth, suburban sprawl uses increasing amounts of land.

I’m all for zero population growth, but that goes against what people in SC seem to want, and land use can be controlled better, population growth or not.
Have you identified people in online forums by where they are from?

Because I know quite a few locals who are completely against growth. They vote for people who claim to be against growth. Quite a few projects here in MtP were voted down by the council, only to be overturned in courts.

And just to clarify, developers aren't all local either. Big corporations from around the country are investing in the Charleston area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area