Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2021, 10:12 AM

155 posts, read 248,503 times

Advertisements

I moved from Italy 7 years ago (citizen now), and i was welcomed since first day.
Never heard a word, a complain, about "foreigners","immigrants", or italians.
And yes, we have plenty local friends.
Nonetheless, I feel that Charlestonians are very proud of their past, their heritage, they know (they feel ?) they are different.
Well mannered, great hospitality, they enjoy life instead of business, and I love them for that.
But they will never ever forget that Yankees started a war, way back in 1861...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2021, 10:16 AM

2,625 posts, read 4,007,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie&Rose View Post
I love Newburyport! Love walking around in the old barn store filled with antiques. I don`t find it similiar to charleston though.
Yes, it's a great little city! I love Oldies Marketplace too. It's a great walking city. The similarity is in the historic sense of the place and walkability. But you're right, Charleston is not like Newburyport in most other regards. Where are you from?

Old 07-05-2021, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deutmark View Post
I moved from Italy 7 years ago (citizen now), and i was welcomed since first day.
Never heard a word, a complain, about "foreigners","immigrants", or italians.
And yes, we have plenty local friends.
Nonetheless, I feel that Charlestonians are very proud of their past, their heritage, they know (they feel ?) they are different.
Well mannered, great hospitality, they enjoy life instead of business, and I love them for that.
But they will never ever forget that Yankees started a war, way back in 1861...
Thank you for writing. I love Italy! It's so beautiful and the people are so warm and friendly.

Yes, Charlestonians have a lot to be proud of! It's beautiful here. Lots of history.

Speaking of history, correct me if I am wrong, but this is how the Civil War started..

Fort Sumter was one of 50 forts built as part of the "Third System", a Federal coastal defense program implemented by Congress in 1817 in response to the United State's lack of strong coastal defenses. Two federal troops guarded the harbor under that program.

As part of SC's secession from the Union, they attempted to take over federal Fort Sumter. Every attempt to try and resupply the Fort by the federal govt was thwarted.

In 1861 President Lincoln announced his intention to send three unarmed ships to relieve federal Fort Sumter knowing they were running out of supplies.

One April 12, 1861 SC militia commander PGT Beauregard demanded that the fort be surrendered by the federal military officers, who refused. In response, SC's Beauregard opened fire on Fort Sumter, starting the Civil War. Two days later federal military offer Major Anderson surrendered.

On 4/15/1861 trying to prevent the dismantling of the country by states seceding and not abiding by the federal laws of the country, President Lincoln issued a proclamation calling for the state militias to suppress, but the southern states refused, due in large part because of their desire to preserve the tradition of slavery.

So despite what you have been told, "Yankees" did not start the Civil War.

Last edited by macalan; 07-05-2021 at 11:46 AM..

Old 07-05-2021, 10:45 AM

12,889 posts, read 18,744,346 times
I for one am sick of the mindset that no one else should move here and that they are ruining it. Charleston wasn’t founded to be a sleepy fishing village by the sea. While the South’s big delay in growth between the Civil War and say the 1980’s crimped the industrial and commercial spirit of this city and immediate region, the sky’s the limit now and it’s up to land planners to get it right to accommodate everyone who wants to live here. Both sets of my eighth great-grandparents who arrived at Charles Town in 1670 would be proud of my hospitality. Y’all come. BTW, that clerk should be reprimanded.

Old 07-05-2021, 11:31 AM

10,100 posts, read 1,022,663 times
25 years ago, I worked for a collection agency that handled car loans/leases; the office was in New York.
When we called people down south, here are some excuses:
1- Don't call me on Sunday - I'm in church all day and it's the Sabbath.
2- I tried to mail my payment but the KKK blew up my mailbox.
3- Y'all from New York are rude.
4- I bought the car for my grandson - he should pay.
5- I can't find my ink pen.

Also, one of my coworkers was called a "Yankee *****".

why can't we all just get along....

Old 07-05-2021, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlestondata View Post
I for one am sick of the mindset that no one else should move here and that they are ruining it. Charleston wasn’t founded to be a sleepy fishing village by the sea. While the South’s big delay in growth between the Civil War and say the 1980’s crimped the industrial and commercial spirit of this city and immediate region, the sky’s the limit now and it’s up to land planners to get it right to accommodate everyone who wants to live here. Both sets of my eighth great-grandparents who arrived at Charles Town in 1670 would be proud of my hospitality. Y’all come. BTW, that clerk should be reprimanded.
Thank you and pleased to meet you. I appreciate your hospitality.

Old 07-05-2021, 11:58 AM

3,861 posts, read 4,596,699 times
I grew up outside of Philadelphia. My first trip down south was when I was 19 (1974?) and brother and I toured some of the southern states fishing our way from lake to lake. One of our early stops was some lake in NC or SC, I can't remember for sure, but we fished for two days without catching much. We stopped in a tiny tackle shop near the lake where the proprietor was an older woman with a tight-set mouth and not-so-friendly eyes. We introduced ourselves, said we'd had no luck fishing and went into detail about what we'd tried and admitted we were stumped as to why we were coming up empty. She looked straight at us and asked, "Where you from?" We told her Pennsylvania and without a hint of a smile or the slightest glimmer of friendly she replied, "That's probably why" and turned away to attend to something. We were taken aback for a moment but then it struck us as the funniest thing and figured she had us pegged. That was our first taste of any resentment to northerners coming to the south and it wasn't the last but I have to say I've found the south to be very friendly and welcoming for the most part.

As for the exact "Yankee go home" phrase, I can remember seeing that in Mad Magazine back when I was about 10 or so. This forum is one of the few places I encounter it these days. Maybe I'm blended in enough after 38 years...

Old 07-05-2021, 02:19 PM

5,716 posts, read 4,685,139 times
So many reasons.

1. Obviously the statement generated roughly after the Civil War.

2. The overwhelming number of people I meet from the North are friendly and love our city as it is.

2a. There is a subset of folks who move here and ask why we don’t have X. Simple we don’t eat/do X down here. Bagels are one thing I’ve heard mentioned way more than once. I don’t expect grits in Boston. Don’t expect good bagels in Charleston.

2b. We like our slow pace of life here. Some folks move here that don’t. They tend to be the loudest.

3. I’ve noticed at times that non-Americans are more welcome than Americans. Not sure why.

4. I’ve been openly mocked in the North for my accent. It goes both ways.

Old 07-05-2021, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1a1mg View Post
So many reasons.

1. Obviously the statement generated roughly after the Civil War.

2. The overwhelming number of people I meet from the North are friendly and love our city as it is.

2a. There is a subset of folks who move here and ask why we don’t have X. Simple we don’t eat/do X down here. Bagels are one thing I’ve heard mentioned way more than once. I don’t expect grits in Boston. Don’t expect good bagels in Charleston.

2b. We like our slow pace of life here. Some folks move here that don’t. They tend to be the loudest.

3. I’ve noticed at times that non-Americans are more welcome than Americans. Not sure why.

4. I’ve been openly mocked in the North for my accent. It goes both ways.
Thanks for writing. Are these things horrible enough it warrants a "go back home where you came from" comment along with placing a derogatory label on people??

Can you elaborate on #1? Not sure what that means.

Old 07-05-2021, 07:09 PM

3,590 posts, read 4,351,602 times
I would venture the biggest portion of this sentiment is people who move here then immediately start complaining about how bad it is they can't find their bagel or their pizza or their WaWa. They want to start changing things culturally and politically to be like where they came from. And that rubs people the wrong way.

Aside from dealing with the increased traffic, they're probably just fine with those that want to move here and adopt the Southern culture. And no, I'm not talking about bigotry towards any race, gender, or orientation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area