Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2021, 09:14 AM

12,889 posts, read 18,744,346 times

Advertisements

South Carolina is vastly different from the place I knew as a child. For the much better.

This. The ‘Southernness’ thing is dissolving. People are people. Nice people are better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2021, 09:33 AM

1,912 posts, read 1,127,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macalan View Post
Serious question, and I hope that I don't offend anyone by asking, but I really want to know...

Why do some people here have a "thing" against people from the north?

When we first moved here, I told the woman at the DMV how pretty it was here and how much we liked it. She looked at my license (we are from New England) and said "it was until it was ruined by all the people moving here "from the north"." Not the warm southern welcome I was expecting...

I get that this used to be a little sleepy place and now it's not, but.... people "from the north" couldn't have moved here without the town planners approving all the building plans, the developers being allowed by the town to develop all the property, the workers building all the houses, the realtors in town selling all the land and houses, or the town officials issuing all the building permits.

It's not just people from the north that have moved here. My neighbors are from KY, GA, TN, IL, TX, CA, WA, MN and VA. So why aren't all these people told to go home too, just "Yankees"? Why is it all the "northerners" fault?

Could someone please explain what the undercurrent is behind this derisive "Yankee Go Home" sentiment?

Macalan, as a SC native, I apologize to you for what happened. That statement is rude and out of line.

There is a sense that Northerners are not as genteel as Southerners, but that clerk's rudeness shows that not to be the case.

I've lived in various places in "the North" and around the world, and having one's place of origin insulted just grates. I still remember a refugee from Nazi Germany (!) who taught me at school in "the North" and who told the class that there could be nothing worse than a Southern prison. Really?

Old 07-06-2021, 10:45 AM

252 posts, read 264,256 times
Four pages to Godwin's Law.

Old 07-06-2021, 01:03 PM

3,590 posts, read 4,351,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlestondata View Post
South Carolina is vastly different from the place I knew as a child. For the much better.

This. The ‘Southernness’ thing is dissolving. People are people. Nice people are better.

Emp mine...

Many natives don't want the 'Southernness' thing to dissolve, thus the push back. I don't feel anyone is fighting against change that reduces bigotry towards any race, gender, or orientation.

Old 07-06-2021, 01:43 PM

5,716 posts, read 4,685,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IsNull View Post
Emp mine...

Many natives don't want the 'Southernness' thing to dissolve, thus the push back. I don't feel anyone is fighting against change that reduces bigotry towards any race, gender, or orientation.
There is a certainly a push to keep Charleston Southern. Losing that would remove any reason to remain. And, as noted, Southern does not equate the negative connotations some uninformed people choose to associate with it.

Old 07-06-2021, 03:37 PM

14,246 posts, read 14,727,364 times
I am a Yankee in Dixie (Lexington and Mount Pleasant prior) since 2001. I believe the "dislike" of Yankees is that many are coming here with money to spend, especially on houses, and we are driving the economy crazy.

Old 07-06-2021, 03:38 PM

1,267 posts, read 1,211,197 times
M1a1, I was at the Carolina Day observance last last week for the first time, maybe the most cheerful and courteous group of old codgers I’ve ever been among. I felt like on that day at least , I was accepted as one of them, such a wonderful tradition!

Old 07-07-2021, 01:54 PM

4,605 posts, read 3,297,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m1a1mg View Post
EDIT: The Brits call us Yanks.
Only sometimes. I've lived in Britain for many years and only got the shortened version a few times.

Old 07-07-2021, 02:39 PM

2,625 posts, read 4,007,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
I am a Yankee in Dixie (Lexington and Mount Pleasant prior) since 2001. I believe the "dislike" of Yankees is that many are coming here with money to spend, especially on houses, and we are driving the economy crazy.
People from the north aren't the only ones coming here, and if the town planners or council or whoever approves these things had not approved all the sale of the land and all the new housing developments, then all the people would not be coming here.

So if there is someone to "blame" it should start with the town govt. It's on them because they opened the door.

Old 07-07-2021, 03:14 PM

14,246 posts, read 14,727,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macalan View Post
Maybe. I personally find being called a "Yankee" derogatory and rude, and being told "Yankee Go Home" because I've echoed a comment someone else (a southerner) has made unfriendly and unnecessary, being told that "people from the north" have ruined this state or that "Yankees started the Civil War" (time for a review of history - SC attacked a federal govt facility and the PRESIDENT responded - which frankly has nothing to do with ME today).

There are plenty of people here from other states - TN, IL, KY, TX - why aren't they called names and told to go back home? Why this bias against and rudeness toward ALL northerners?
Mac

A Yankee broadly means anybody not from the original Confederate States of America especially those from states that fought against the CSA. They get confused if somebody from say Iowa is a Yankee...LOL

When someone says to me you are a Yankee, I reply yes and you are a Rebel. We usually become friends after that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area