Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2022, 12:30 PM

5,686 posts, read 4,084,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Except, the outcome would have been different if he didn't have a gun, or at the very least easy access to one.
Guns have been around forever. Same with knives, hammers and ROCKS. If you don't believe that it's the people that have changed I can't help you. Maybe you are one of the people who are causing the change in our youth.

You need to be able to identify the problem before you can fix it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2022, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xray731 View Post
Actually Rochester has a black population of 40%, Buffalo is 2nd with 34%, Syracuse 29.4%. Took him over 3 hrs to drive here vs 2 hrs and 20 minutes to get to Rochester. I don't wish something like this on anyone and agree - quick trial and the death penalty.
I can't pinpoint a supermarket that is in the middle of a black community. They are mostly on the outer limits of the city, or suburbs

Old 05-15-2022, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post

Before commenting here I took a look there.....45 minutes of my life I will never get back! It's scary how many posters there (not the majority but more than one or two) seem to borderline sympathize with this neo-Nazi scumbug and seem to blame the very people who were vicitimized! Our country almost literally is going to hell.....
I didn't see that at all. Not at all. There are probably 100 million gun owners in this country, who would NEVER commit an act like this, and CONDEM this act

Old 05-15-2022, 12:55 PM

8,036 posts, read 10,629,469 times
This reminds me in a lot of ways of the Dylan Roof mass shooting in 2015.

Young, disillusioned young man with violent thoughts and anger issues takes his vengence out on innocent people who have ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with the issues he is twisted up about in the first place.

The nine, innocent, and mostly older black people killed while having Bible study at their church in Charleston S.C., had absolutely nothing to do with the criminal element of the Black community that Dylan Roof professed his anger towards.

Similarly, these poor people, mostly Black Americans but several Whites, just shopping for groceries on a Saturday afternoon in Buffalo had no tie whatsoever to those perpetuating our illegal immigration issues.

Both cowardly chose easy targets that they knew would not be in a position to fight back.

Obviously, violence is not acceptable in either case. But, as with Roof, all this nut did was add fodder to the "White Supremicist Terrorist" rhetoric and narrative.

Total, evil, stupid loser. I feel horrible for the victims, for our country that we cannot just go grocery shopping without facing a horror such as this, and as a parent, I feel for his Mom and Dad and family that have to now deal with what their son has done.

Old 05-15-2022, 02:31 PM

11,295 posts, read 18,876,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWRocks View Post
I didn't see that at all. Not at all. There are probably 100 million gun owners in this country, who would NEVER commit an act like this, and CONDEM this act
My comment about that thread had nothing to do with guns (though I do disagree with you on that, yes, he could still likely get one but then why regulate drugs or cars using the same logic? But we don't have to debate it here as my point wasn't about guns). It was more that there were statements from more than one or two posters (but again, I never said the majority of posts in that thread) like (perhaps in a indirect way) "if Obama (and Biden) didn't alienate white people" or "if BLM wasn't so "in your face"" things like this wouldn't happen. The majority of posts indeed were condeming and sympathetic to the victims. But again, what I was talking about wasn't just one or two rogue posters either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWRocks View Post
I can't pinpoint a supermarket that is in the middle of a black community. They are mostly on the outer limits of the city, or suburbs
You're right, lookup a thing called "food deserts" and it's probably why he targeted this rare case over other possibilities. Similar deal in my hometown of Mount Vernon, just north of the Bronx. The poorest part of town (about 3/4 of the area of the city is majority minority and that minority mostly being African-American, but not all of it is poor and "ghetto") lacked a supermarket for years and one finally came in (PathMark, when they went under as a chain another one called Food Bazaar that purposely locates in such neighborhoods came in.....there's now a Stop and Shop (same corporate parent as Tops) there too).

It's pretty much the same distance from Conklin that Buffalo is, so for all we know he could've targeted them instead.

Last edited by 7 Wishes; 05-15-2022 at 02:47 PM..

Old 05-15-2022, 04:38 PM

93,231 posts, read 123,819,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post
Personally I was wondering why he chose it over NYC since both are the same distance from him and I'm sure someone with his mentality would consider NYC to be America's "Sodom and Gomorrah". But maybe your theory about skipping tolls and cameras had something to do with it.

Speaking of NYC, channel 7 down here 11pm news literally devoted half the broadcast to it and for about 5 minutes even switched to simulcasted feed from their affiliated (also channel 7, even uses same logo) 11pm news in Buffalo. Not from there but my sister has lived there for the past 30 years as a college professor and my daughter is a freshman at UB (who I'm picking up next weekend to take home for the summer) so I have significant connections and we are all shaken to the core! What a horrible way for such a great underrated city to get on national and world news.

Before commenting here I took a look there.....45 minutes of my life I will never get back! It's scary how many posters there (not the majority but more than one or two) seem to borderline sympathize with this neo-Nazi scumbug and seem to blame the very people who were vicitimized! Our country almost literally is going to hell.....
Good question about why didn't he go to NYC, as there can be negative sentiments towards the city/area by some rural Upstate residents. Ironically, I was working with someone a couple of days ago that is a rural resident that is a multiple gun owner that referred to NYC as "the toilet" when a visitor mentioned where he came from. So, the dislike is real.

With the Syracuse thought, it is the closest city with a similar area of town and a good portion of another side of town, along with the percentage roughly being in the low/mid 30's, depending on who you include.

The grocery store is in the "blackest" zip code in Upstate NY/outside of NYC and roughly(due to estimates) the 12th blackest zip code in the state. So, this was very measured.

As for the other thread, it only took me a few posts to know how it would go.

Then, there was this that came out earlier today: https://www.wicz.com/story/46492566/...ing-in-buffalo So, there is some past information that could have tipped people off about his behavior.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 05-15-2022 at 05:23 PM..

Old 05-15-2022, 07:01 PM

12,966 posts, read 9,647,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueMom View Post
This reminds me in a lot of ways of the Dylan Roof mass shooting in 2015.

Young, disillusioned young man with violent thoughts and anger issues takes his vengence out on innocent people who have ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with the issues he is twisted up about in the first place.

The nine, innocent, and mostly older black people killed while having Bible study at their church in Charleston S.C., had absolutely nothing to do with the criminal element of the Black community that Dylan Roof professed his anger towards.

Similarly, these poor people, mostly Black Americans but several Whites, just shopping for groceries on a Saturday afternoon in Buffalo had no tie whatsoever to those perpetuating our illegal immigration issues.

Both cowardly chose easy targets that they knew would not be in a position to fight back.

Obviously, violence is not acceptable in either case. But, as with Roof, all this nut did was add fodder to the "White Supremicist Terrorist" rhetoric and narrative.

Total, evil, stupid loser. I feel horrible for the victims, for our country that we cannot just go grocery shopping without facing a horror such as this, and as a parent, I feel for his Mom and Dad and family that have to now deal with what their son has done.

Makes you wonder how someone so young can be so full of hate. I've often hear people say, when you leave your house, there is no guarantee you are coming back to that house. It's pretty sad that nowhere is safe these days. He lives 200 miles away from this community, and had nothing better to do than to go kill people, that don't know him or did anything to him. These people had no say so, or control how they are to be born into this world.

Old 05-15-2022, 07:14 PM

1,464 posts, read 756,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Good question about why didn't he go to NYC, as there can be negative sentiments towards the city/area by some rural Upstate residents. Ironically, I was working with someone a couple of days ago that is a rural resident that is a multiple gun owner that referred to NYC as "the toilet" when a visitor mentioned where he came from. So, the dislike is real.

With the Syracuse thought, it is the closest city with a similar area of town and a good portion of another side of town, along with the percentage roughly being in the low/mid 30's, depending on who you include.

The grocery store is in the "blackest" zip code in Upstate NY/outside of NYC and roughly(due to estimates) the 12th blackest zip code in the state. So, this was very measured.

As for the other thread, it only took me a few posts to know how it would go.

Then, there was this that came out earlier today: https://www.wicz.com/story/46492566/...ing-in-buffalo So, there is some past information that could have tipped people off about his behavior.
Which medical professional approved his release after he was brought to the hospital ?

Less than a year after he was brought in under nys mental health law to a nys hospital he commits a mass shooting?

Doesn’t nys have a red flag law?

Red Flag Gun Protection Law Now in Effect
The Red Flag Law, also known as the extreme risk protection order law, is effective in New York State as of August 24, 2019. The law prevents individuals who show signs of being a threat to themselves or others from purchasing or possessing any kind of firearm.

The Red Flag Law provides all necessary procedural safeguards to ensure that no firearm is removed without due process while ensuring that tragedies, like the school shooting in Parkland, Florida, are not repeated.

This new law builds on New York's strongest in the nation gun laws and makes New York the first in the United States to empower its teachers and school administrators to prevent school shootings by pursuing court intervention.

Old 05-15-2022, 07:57 PM

11,295 posts, read 18,876,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post

I think the reason he didn't pick Syracuse is he, like many others, probably doesn't perceive Syracuse as a place that has a "black neighborhood", incorrect as that is.

He's not alone, I remember not too long ago when that video came out with the police who "arrested" a little kid who took ice cream or candy or something like that in Syracuse, a lot of people here downstate, with their own incorrect biases and stereotypes about upstate cities were like, "there's black people in Syracuse (outside of the university)"? And some of the people I know who said that were black.

Old 05-15-2022, 09:05 PM

2,814 posts, read 2,279,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueMom View Post

I agreed with pretty much all of your post. But, this can read like you are more upset about the outrage to the shooting than the fact that this was a "white supremacist terrorist attack. While violent white supremacist attacks are somewhat rare in a statistical sense, I hope we all can agree there are far too many of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area