Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2023, 05:31 AM

30,171 posts, read 11,809,456 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
Well, I was wrong about the first part but right about the second.

Booker-47 points, 20/25 from the field, 6 rebounds, 9 assists.
Durant-39 points, 12/31 from the field, 9 rebounds, 8 assists
What happened to Ayton? 4 points in 25 minutes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2023, 08:55 AM

18,221 posts, read 25,865,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
What happened to Ayton? 4 points in 25 minutes.

Well, at least he got 9 rebounds, only played 26 minutes, was 2 for 6 from the field. Not one of his better nights for sure.

Old 05-06-2023, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
Well, at least he got 9 rebounds, only played 26 minutes, was 2 for 6 from the field. Not one of his better nights for sure.

I was reading he got into a shouting match with the coaching staff over being benched at the end of the game. If they go down to Denver, Phoenix has some issues to work out.

Old 05-07-2023, 01:01 PM

3,979 posts, read 2,357,086 times
Ayton's defense is abysmal. Jokic is eating him for lunch. I am sure that's why the coaches sit him at times.

Old 05-07-2023, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quiet life View Post
Ayton's defense is abysmal. Jokic is eating him for lunch. I am sure that's why the coaches sit him at times.
If you are Phoenix you almost want to go small ball like the Warriors do. You have 5 three point shooters it forces Jokic away from the paint. He gets less rebounds and is a poor defender. With Ayton he is a perfect guy for Jokic to guard. He has limited range and likes to stay near the basket like Jokic does. On offense Jokic will get his points. But he is getting them now anyways even with Ayton on him.

Old 05-08-2023, 11:15 AM

7,022 posts, read 11,317,487 times
Quote:
If you are Phoenix you almost want to go small ball like the Warriors do. You have 5 three point shooters it forces Jokic away from the paint. He gets less rebounds and is a poor defender. With Ayton he is a perfect guy for Jokic to guard. He has limited range and likes to stay near the basket like Jokic does. On offense Jokic will get his points. But he is getting them now anyways even with Ayton on him.
Waste of a 53 point 11 assist explosion on the road last night, even a little bit of defense and they win that game. You shouldn't be losing games when you score 120+ points. The series has pretty clearly turned. The Nuggets can't get a stop to save their life right now.

Old 05-08-2023, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
Waste of a 53 point 11 assist explosion on the road last night, even a little bit of defense and they win that game. You shouldn't be losing games when you score 120+ points. The series has pretty clearly turned. The Nuggets can't get a stop to save their life right now.

If Denver loses this is Malone's job safe? You give him a pass with the injuries the past 2 years. But they are healthy this year. No excuse to lose to Phoenix. Especially with CP3 out and the way the Clippers played them. This is/will be four years where the team has underachieved in the post season.

Old 05-08-2023, 08:09 PM

Quote:
If Denver loses this is Malone's job safe? You give him a pass with the injuries the past 2 years. But they are healthy this year. No excuse to lose to Phoenix. Especially with CP3 out and the way the Clippers played them. This is/will be four years where the team has underachieved in the post season.
I guess we see. Jokic is 28, this is his prime, and an exit in this round to a wounded team beating you after a 2-0 lead would lead to some conversations at minimum.

Jokic has the highest PER in NBA playoff history after last night. He also can't stop anybody from scoring over him unless he concedes them 15 foot jumpers over and over, which Booker is hitting at like 70-80%. I don't know what coach would have the answer. What is the answer? Most coaches would yank their big guy and play small........Denver's offensive star IS the big guy.

What's the comp? Has their ever been one? A superstar center who can't anchor the defense winning it all? Moses Malone maybe?

Old 05-08-2023, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
I guess we see. Jokic is 28, this is his prime, and an exit in this round to a wounded team beating you after a 2-0 lead would lead to some conversations at minimum.

Jokic has the highest PER in NBA playoff history after last night. He also can't stop anybody from scoring over him unless he concedes them 15 foot jumpers over and over, which Booker is hitting at like 70-80%. I don't know what coach would have the answer. What is the answer? Most coaches would yank their big guy and play small........Denver's offensive star IS the big guy.

What's the comp? Has their ever been one? A superstar center who can't anchor the defense winning it all? Moses Malone maybe?
Bill Walton? Walton would have troubles playing against modern offenses that use the 3 so much.

I don't know. Perhaps the reality is Jokic is not winning you any titles. There is some fools gold in that they play well in the regular season. Perhaps a better coach figures out how to make this all work. Or you need to revamp the roster.

Old 05-08-2023, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Bill Walton? Walton would have troubles playing against modern offenses that use the 3 so much.

I don't know. Perhaps the reality is Jokic is not winning you any titles. There is some fools gold in that they play well in the regular season. Perhaps a better coach figures out how to make this all work. Or you need to revamp the roster.
You go on the road and your two-time MVP puts up 83 points on 63% shooting, 21 rebounds, and 28 assists and you don't win either game because you give up over 120 both times. Something is very wrong there. I get you "want" teams to shoot mid-range jumpers instead of 3-balls and lay-ups, but the Suns have two guys that feast on that.

Send Jokic out to contest, and they blow right by him and/or draw a foul. I will say MPJ's back injury that took away his high end leaping ability is a blow to this roster. Gordon is being asked to defend the other's team best perimeter players, it would be very helpful if MPJ developed into the weakside shot blocker he showed flashes off in his second season.

Murray and MPJ have problems staying front of people on defense. Your MVP can't defend the rim. Gordon and KCP really help on defense, but they aren't a match for Booker and Durant over an entire series, as we are learning. Brown is playing well. Jeff Green.........why oh why, yes the highlights still look impressive but he is a net negative player at this age.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball