Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2018, 11:44 PM

14,690 posts, read 14,668,136 times

Advertisements

Ehhh...Karl kinda went off the deep end late in his career. First accusing Iguodala of throwing a playoff series in the Warriors' favor then all his battles in the locker room in Sacramento. Thankfully Don Nelson retired when things started to get ugly in Oakland so he didn't tarnish his legacy in the same way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2018, 10:45 AM

3,569 posts, read 2,523,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
Ehhh...Karl kinda went off the deep end late in his career. First accusing Iguodala of throwing a playoff series in the Warriors' favor then all his battles in the locker room in Sacramento. Thankfully Don Nelson retired when things started to get ugly in Oakland so he didn't tarnish his legacy in the same way.
Karl couldn't adapt. Don Nelson was forced out of Oakland, and I really wonder "what if." Obviously I'm happy with the ultimate results, but Don Nelson handed Steph Curry the keys his rookie season--he knew what talent he had and his style would have been perfect with Steph as he grew. Instead, Curry was shackled by Keith Smart and still never fully unleashed with Mark Jackson. With a bunch of injured starters and D-League call ups, Steph was the real rookie of the year playing the right way and having enough trust from an old-school coach to make some mistakes.

Old 01-04-2019, 10:59 PM

18,037 posts, read 27,488,141 times
Nuggets ok so far this early season?

Old 01-05-2019, 02:22 AM

14,690 posts, read 14,668,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Allen Iverson...without question the most over-rated POS player to ever lace them up in the NBA. Sadly, he will make the HOF because he managed to make a career on scoring 30pts on 12 of 30 shooting.

...and no, it's not because of injury...he has ALWAYS been like this.
Well, this post didn’t age well

Old 01-05-2019, 05:56 AM

5,841 posts, read 5,645,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
Nuggets ok so far this early season?
I'm used to you talking Broncos, it's kinda cool seeing you spoke on the Nuggets before lol. I missed it somehow!

The Nuggets are better than okay, they're #1 in The West and it's not a flash, they've been Top 3 through the entire first half so far...

Granted, alot of people (analysts, fans, guys on here) are cool on the Nuggets because they are so young and inexperienced. I don't think they will contend for a title this year, typically doesn't work like that because you have to scale the mountain and take your lumps along the way........but I'm definitely a believer. They are well coached, play elite defense and elite offense, share the ball, and are led by a superstar in the making (Jokic). He's the only Top 10 player that people somehow don't know about...

I think they make it at least to Round 2 before their youth and inexperience is challenged, but I'm a big fan. I'd love to see them knock off the Warriors!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
Well, this post didn’t age well
Lol....I don't think he's a POS but he could be selfish and uncoachable. He was a volume shooter but alot of guys in his era were, so I went knock him for that, he still is a Top 6 or 7 guy of his era...

I do tend to think he's a tad overrated but he was worth the price of admission in his prime...

Old 01-05-2019, 08:32 PM

18,226 posts, read 25,880,114 times
There is no specific mod who oversees basketball but every now and then I take a look to see what's happening.

There is no team thread for the Denver Nuggets, so I'll make this the thread. Thanks to OP Mcgowdog!!

Old 01-05-2019, 10:41 PM

18,037 posts, read 27,488,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
I'm used to you talking Broncos, it's kinda cool seeing you spoke on the Nuggets before lol. I missed it somehow!

The Nuggets are better than okay, they're #1 in The West and it's not a flash, they've been Top 3 through the entire first half so far...

Granted, alot of people (analysts, fans, guys on here) are cool on the Nuggets because they are so young and inexperienced. I don't think they will contend for a title this year, typically doesn't work like that because you have to scale the mountain and take your lumps along the way........but I'm definitely a believer. They are well coached, play elite defense and elite offense, share the ball, and are led by a superstar in the making (Jokic). He's the only Top 10 player that people somehow don't know about...

I think they make it at least to Round 2 before their youth and inexperience is challenged, but I'm a big fan. I'd love to see them knock off the Warriors!

Lol....I don't think he's a POS but he could be selfish and uncoachable. He was a volume shooter but alot of guys in his era were, so I went knock him for that, he still is a Top 6 or 7 guy of his era...

I do tend to think he's a tad overrated but he was worth the price of admission in his prime...
I live in Colorado pretty much most of the last 42 years, so I am aware of a team called The Denver Nuggets.

Seen them play at Mc Nichols aka Big Mac, a well as the Pepsi center. They lost both those games. The first was in about the mid to later 80s where Kareem Abdul jaBlunt, Magic, AC Green, Michael Cooper, James Worthy, Clark Kent aka Kurt Rambis, Byron Scott and company smoked em.

Then at the Pepsi center, Karl Malone and John Stockton smoked em.

I stopped watching the Nuggets about when they started throwing Coach Karl under the bus. Liked birdman and the team they had then. Birdman was falsely accused of sexual assault or something by some nutjob from Canada and that destroyed bis reputation in Denver and I've hated basketball ever since.

Also, sick of the GS Warriors vs Cleveland Cavaliers show.

Old 01-06-2019, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
I live in Colorado pretty much most of the last 42 years, so I am aware of a team called The Denver Nuggets.

Seen them play at Mc Nichols aka Big Mac, a well as the Pepsi center. They lost both those games. The first was in about the mid to later 80s where Kareem Abdul jaBlunt, Magic, AC Green, Michael Cooper, James Worthy, Clark Kent aka Kurt Rambis, Byron Scott and company smoked em.

Then at the Pepsi center, Karl Malone and John Stockton smoked em.

I stopped watching the Nuggets about when they started throwing Coach Karl under the bus. Liked birdman and the team they had then. Birdman was falsely accused of sexual assault or something by some nutjob from Canada and that destroyed bis reputation in Denver and I've hated basketball ever since.

Also, sick of the GS Warriors vs Cleveland Cavaliers show.
I'm alot younger than you but this is my second stint as a "semi" Nuggets fan. I was a Carmelo Anthony guy in his Nuggets tenure, and was a big fan for a couple years in the late-00s when they had Chauncey Billups (born and raised Denverite!) and made the Western Conference Finals in 2009...

I left the Nuggets and Anthony at the same time you did, it really soured me on him the way he left Denver...

I'm on the Nuggets bandwagon again, I really love this Jokic guy and this team is so exciting to watch. By the way, I hear Denver is a gorgeous city, I look forward to visiting one day!

Old 01-06-2019, 09:54 PM

18,226 posts, read 25,880,114 times
I'm not the NBA fan I used to be, but as far as the ABA was concerned I was really into the Denver Rockets (now Nuggets). Out of the ten year history of the American Basketball Association, Denver missed the playoffs just once (1970-1971 season). Their best player in that era without a doubt was David Thompson, though Spencer Haywood is running a very close second, he just played one season with Denver--(1969-1970). The thing that Denver generally had was a solid franchise at the gate. Remember, they were only one of a handful of clubs to survive the league and came in from the merger with the Indiana Pacers, San Antonio Spurs, New York Nets. The Utah Stars folded by 1976 as did the Kentucky Colonels.(Dan Issel was acquired by the Colonels through the dispersion draft)

I went to a half dozen games a year in those days, saw some great basketball players, including some that was wronged by the NBA (Connie Hawkins), some that were flat out magicians (Pete Maravich), some who were basically one man teams (Julius Erving). Back then a 5 dollar bill could get you a seat--parking was a dollar, and those Red, White, and Blue basketballs! Those were great days. Denver never got an ABA title but they had a colorful style of play. And had some colorful coaches such as Alex Hannum, Larry Brown, and later Doug Moe.

Yes! Today's Nuggets DO have a solid team about them. They've hit a dry run the last several years and it's great to see them back in the mix!

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 01-06-2019 at 11:42 PM.. Reason: deletion, spelling

Old 01-06-2019, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
I'm not the NBA fan I used to be, but as far as the ABA was concerned I was really into the Denver Rockets (now Nuggets). Out of the ten year history of the American Basketball Association, Denver missed the playoffs just once (1970-1971 season). Their best player in that era without a doubt was David Thompson, though Spencer Haywood is running a very close second, he just played one season with Denver--(1969-1970). The thing that Denver generally had was a solid franchise at the gate. Remember, they were only one of a handful of clubs to survive the league and came in from the merger with the Indiana Pacers, San Antonio Spurs, New York Nets. The Utah Stars folded by 1976 as did the Kentucky Colonels.(Dan Issel was acquired by the Colonels through the dispersion draft)

I went to a half dozen games a year in those days, saw some great basketball players, including some that was wronged by the NBA (Connie Hawkins), some that were flat out magicians (Pete Maravich), some who were basically one man teams (Julius Erving). Back then a 5 dollar bill could get you a seat--parking was a dollar, and those Red, White, and Blue basketballs! Those were great days. Denver never got an ABA title but they had a colorful style of play. And had some colorful coaches such as Alex Hannum, Larry Brown, and later Doug Moe.

Yes! Today's Nuggets DO have a solid team about them. They've hit a dry run the last several years and it's great to see them back in the mix!
Man you've got some stories, I'd love to sit down and just chat with you one day! I'm in awe at your memory and recall of past players and generations!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball