Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2011, 06:21 AM

5,985 posts, read 4,390,321 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jermaine88 View Post
Orioles have some of the most overrated players and hyped up players in the whole league, I'm not surprised so far.
I am inclined to say, "Wait until next decade," but will not do so because I said this about the Rays as recently as '07.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2011, 09:26 PM

26,269 posts, read 49,183,727 times
Update, the O's have now lost all six games they've played against the Yankees.

In the immortal words of Homer Simpson: http://www.the-ocean.com/simpsons/homer/worse.wav
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 05-20-2012, 11:01 AM

Default 2012 Performance

What's up with my O's?

It's almost June and they haven't collapsed into last place. In fact, they are the best team in the AL and 2nd best team in MLB, despite being only 2-4 so far this year against the Yankees.

Whatever, I'm delighted with the team this year, maybe the first time in 15-20 years I've been a happy fan.

Maybe this year I won't have to say "wait 'til next year."

Here's to the O's continuing their winning ways.

Old 05-20-2012, 05:03 PM

8,297 posts, read 23,164,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
What's up with my O's?

It's almost June and they haven't collapsed into last place. In fact, they are the best team in the AL and 2nd best team in MLB, despite being only 2-4 so far this year against the Yankees.

Whatever, I'm delighted with the team this year, maybe the first time in 15-20 years I've been a happy fan.

Maybe this year I won't have to say "wait 'til next year."

Here's to the O's continuing their winning ways.
I am pretty happy, I have always like the O's since they are the Original Milwaukee Brewers if you follow the lineage. I have MLB.TV so I catch a lot of O's games. I would like it even more if Nolan Reimold could stay healthy, a very good player.

Old 05-21-2012, 02:26 AM

1,081 posts, read 2,272,779 times
I am very happy with this crew. Adam Jones is killing it. I'm telling you, this may be the year.

Old 05-31-2012, 10:17 AM

444 posts, read 1,253,633 times
Lost 8 of 10, SP falling apart, Defense is hurting them, Wieters stopped hitting 2 weeks ago...they're wobbling.

Old 08-11-2012, 02:39 PM

2,296 posts, read 3,961,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMPX2 View Post
Lost 8 of 10, SP falling apart, Defense is hurting them, Wieters stopped hitting 2 weeks ago...they're wobbling.
I think the O's should move Matt Weiters to first base this off season. I think, given his size (6-5 240) and age (26), he'll break down prematurely. May help his hitting as well.

Old 08-11-2012, 02:55 PM

13,285 posts, read 15,348,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ2MDdude View Post
I think the O's should move Matt Weiters to first base this off season. I think, given his size (6-5 240) and age (26), he'll break down prematurely. May help his hitting as well.
Let's see how Weiters has derived his value over the last 2 season:

Batting Runs +12, Baserunning Runs -4, Fielding runs +20, Positional Runs +16, Replacement runs +32 Total Runs = 76

Most of the runs, 36 of them, come from his playing catcher. He's an outstanding defensive catcher; preventing 36 more runs than the average catcher over the last 2 seasons.

Weiters has a .324/.421 (OBP/SLG) line on the season.
Major league catchers have combined line of .318/.404 on the season.
Major league first basemen have a combined line of .334/.440 on the season.

Weiters is an excellent hitting catcher. Weiters is a below average hitting first baseman. Even if Weiters could improve his hitting enough to be an average hitting first baseman, and became an above average fielding first baseman (neither of which is guaranteed. He may end up being a below average hitting first baseman and below average fielding first baseman) he wouldn't be as valuable as an excellent hitting, excellent fielding catcher.

Moving him to first base would likely crater his value to the team.

Last edited by filihok; 08-11-2012 at 03:11 PM..

Old 10-07-2012, 09:38 AM

Well, here we are, the O's are in post-season play for the first time in 15 years.

This year, I did NOT have to say "wait 'til next year" as I have done for many years....usually in May....

Tonight, at 6:07 PM Eastern, my O's take on the damned Yankees in Charm City. GO Os!

Old 10-16-2012, 05:47 PM

Season's over for the birds. Rats.

In game 1 the O's best closer came in at the top of the 9th with the score at 2-2; he totally melted down, giving up 5 runs and taking the loss.

In game 3 when Ibanez came to bat in the 9th I urged the Os would pitch around him, but no, they gave him a big fat pitch over the plate and he put it in the stands. When Ibazez came to bat in the 12th, I was yelling at the TV to pitch around him, but no, they gave him another big fat pitch over the plate and he put that one in the stands too for the walk-off win. When this happened I knew the O's were doomed.

The big surprise is how well the pitching contained the hitters on both teams, or was it that the hitters became impotent somehow.

Okay, so now I'm rooting for Detroit to sweep their series with the Yankees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball