Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: With King Charles III ascending to the throne, do you support Australia and/or New Zealand to transi
Remain as the Commonwealth of Australia 28 40.58%
Transition to the Republic of Australia 36 52.17%
Remain as the Realm of New Zealand 19 27.54%
Transition to the Republic of New Zealand 24 34.78%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2022, 06:29 AM

2,973 posts, read 1,972,701 times

Advertisements

There have been talks about abandoning the monarchy and moving to a republic before the Queen passed away. With the current events unfolding before our very eyes, do you support Australia and/or New Zealand to transition to a republic?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2022, 06:37 AM

2,926 posts, read 1,307,494 times
The main reason they are not a Republic now is due to how politicized the process becomes where one sides puts forward their version of a Republic and the other party out of spite votes against it. I have met VERY few Aussies who ever cared about the Royal family here. A few do in New Zealand though I noticed they were mostly female and of the older generation. The task at hand is creating a system that is worth getting behind in which everyone can unify around. This means all political parties have to work together and what's the odds on this happening?

Who knows, now that the only likeable Royal who was well regarded internationally is gone perhaps even the previous royalists will now be more open to a Republic.

Also even if Australia became a Republic it would still be in the commonwealth unless it decided to leave. Australia is a founding member

Old 09-09-2022, 08:43 AM

22,216 posts, read 21,655,217 times
Nope.

Old 09-09-2022, 07:03 PM

3,797 posts, read 2,992,667 times
I support the Republican movement, and am certainly not a Monarchist.
However I don’t see change happening in a hurry.
Australians , and probably Kiwis too, have a “if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it” attitude.

Old 09-09-2022, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek41 View Post
I support the Republican movement, and am certainly not a Monarchist.
However I don’t see change happening in a hurry.
Australians , and probably Kiwis too, have a “if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it” attitude.
I think When Australia starts to overtake the UK in terms of it's economy and influence you will see a significant difference in the country. Might not happen in our lifetime buts it's coming. Australia is growing and changing so fast. Most migrants no longer come from UK/Ireland.

Old 09-10-2022, 01:07 AM

7,033 posts, read 4,950,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy234 View Post
I think When Australia starts to overtake the UK in terms of it's economy and influence you will see a significant difference in the country. Might not happen in our lifetime buts it's coming. Australia is growing and changing so fast. Most migrants no longer come from UK/Ireland.
I thought England was still the biggest source of migrants on a country level? Or are you comparing UK to Asia as regions?

Old 09-10-2022, 01:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgtheone View Post
I thought England was still the biggest source of migrants on a country level? Or are you comparing UK to Asia as regions?
You mean the UK not England? As this would include Scotland and Wales due to the fact immigration only counts the UK as a whole? The UK is now number 3 after China and India.

https://www.homeaffairs.gov.au/resea...files/profiles

India and Asia essentially make up the VAST majority of migrants coming to Australia.

Old 09-10-2022, 01:34 AM

3,602 posts, read 2,304,420 times
Quote:
You mean the UK not England? As this would include Scotland and Wales due to the fact immigration only counts the UK as a whole? The UK is now number 3 after China and India.

India and Asia essentially make up the VAST majority of migrants coming to Australia.
From what I have read many of our immigrants, even from places like China with no connection to the UK, are supportive of the monarchy.

I think there will not be a referendum again on the republic until the year of our next federal election. A lot will depend on what happens between now and then. Definitely a lot of people have the “if it ain’t broke don’t fix it” mindset. I am certainly not as avid a republican as I was when I was young, perhaps because I so love the UK and London in particular.

I am very pleased to see, for once, our politicians behaving with some dignity, whether or not they are republicans. I think Albo has spoken well.

Old 09-10-2022, 02:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarisaMay View Post
From what I have read many of our immigrants, even from places like China with no connection to the UK, are supportive of the monarchy.

I think there will not be a referendum again on the republic until the year of our next federal election. A lot will depend on what happens between now and then. Definitely a lot of people have the “if it ain’t broke don’t fix it” mindset. I am certainly not as avid a republican as I was when I was young, perhaps because I so love the UK and London in particular.

I am very pleased to see, for once, our politicians behaving with some dignity, whether or not they are republicans. I think Albo has spoken well.
I don't know if i believe that about most Chinese being supporters of the British Monarch in Australia. I'd have to check if there is data available for this. The youth in Australia have no attachment to the Royal family, people in a Republic like Ireland would be more clued on to the Royal Family than many on this side of the world. i never heard one person on this side of the world bring up the Queen once at work since her death. The Queen was also well liked by many. The rest of the Royal family not so much especially with the likes of Charles and Harry getting involved quite heavily politically or are at least trying to. Personally i believe the next referendum will be carefully planned to coincide with a great reduction in popularity of the Royal family. Right now people are focused on the Queen, lets wait to see how it plays out although i've read from a large number of Brits who aren't happy to give their endorsement to Charles.

Also i don't get why your love of the UK would make you less Republican. Australia isn't the UK. One can love the monarchy in the UK and still feel that it's not right for a behemoth of a nation on the opposite side of the world like Australia. As you said though some may have the ''if it ain't broke don't fix it mindset''. This is why i believe it needs to be something that invokes pride in Australians. The monarchy doesn't invoke pride in Australians, in fact the monarchy makes Australians not even care about who their head of state is which is where the term ''if it ain't broke don't fix it'' comes from lol. I believe it should be something that invokes a greater feeling of Patriotism.

Old 09-10-2022, 03:32 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,014,042 times
Quote:

God forbid perhaps in the long run Australia is more likely to become part of the Communist state of China than it is staying part of the Commonwealth! The Commonwealth is a beautiful union of equal separate Sovereign States working together for freedom, democracy and a better world, the Chinese? Communist Dictatorship - I know which 'body' I would rather be part of!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand