Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: With King Charles III ascending to the throne, do you support Australia and/or New Zealand to transi
Remain as the Commonwealth of Australia 28 40.58%
Transition to the Republic of Australia 36 52.17%
Remain as the Realm of New Zealand 19 27.54%
Transition to the Republic of New Zealand 24 34.78%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2022, 05:12 PM

6,036 posts, read 5,944,794 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy234 View Post
I agree with you. I noticed many in New Zealand take great pride in their nations loyalty to the British Empire in the past and still enjoy being attached to it symbolically which connects them to this heritage. Australia is a nation that is a bit older in terms of colonization, that seen alot more division and hatred largely due to the Empire where Australia would often become the battleground for it's two main nations (Ireland and England). The indigenous people were treated far worse than the Maori's aswell. People in Australia were naturally more anti-establisment largely because they witnessed much evil inflicted by it. New Zealand was shielded from much of the horrors many other subjects endured.

Ironically New Zealand was initially named after Irish provinces. The North Island was New Ulster and South Island was New Munster, steward Island was New leinster. This was then abolished when the country was broken up into even smaller regions. To be honest I really dislike how they named places in the US, NZ and OZ after the old world. They could have been more original. New this and New that. Just make up a new name entirely and be done with it. They didn't even bother putting New in front of Perth meaning there are now two Perth's lol.
I know that the cliche Australians are anti establishment lingers, the reality is, IMO , is that it is hard to find a more compliant country of similar disposition than here. (perhaps NZ being an exception)

Australia on the other hand has been to bogged down in the past over conformity , which has dissipated over recent times with more diversity being 'allowed' , but I see little evidence other than indifference to politics in general, of any anti establishment sentiment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2022, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
I was pulled over by police in Victoria, after two members of the public reported me for not wearing a helmet while out for a bike ride - there's your anti establishment spirit in action.
Quite so. Hardly surprises me. Only anti establishment spirit I note, is people in position , bending or disregarding the rules the suit themselves , usually for of personal gain of an economic nature, but most likely appear to be a pillar of the same establishment.

Old 09-12-2022, 05:39 PM

4,216 posts, read 4,885,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy234 View Post
I think it's quite embarrassing really. Their Empire ended nearly a century ago. It's about time these elitists got over it. I feel many British elite live in the past. They talk about their history as if it's past exploits still hold merit today in terms of how much influence they should have. The reality is however no-one cares anymore. It's not relevent. There are new superpowers to fear.
You only need look at the last few years with Brexit and that clown of a PM to realise they still haven't
realised they are not the centre of the universe anymore. The Brexit chat about how they would replace EU trade with Commonwealth was so quixotic it really beggared belief that a country could actually fool itself into such nonsense. It really highlighted how Britain sees the Commonwealth v how the rest of the Commonwealth sees the Commonwealth.

(That is not all British or even all English, but there is a substantial minority who still crave the relevance of the empire)

Old 09-12-2022, 06:00 PM

4,216 posts, read 4,885,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
I don't think ignored is the right word:-

https://thecommonwealth.org/

It does a LOT of good in the world, it is home to 1/3 of the whole worlds population. A 'club' dedicated to freedom, prosperity and peace - what is there not to like about it?
What does it do? Actual tangible things not vague platitudes about freedom, prosperity and peace.

Old 09-12-2022, 07:41 PM

1,472 posts, read 1,343,410 times
Quote:
I was pulled over by police in Victoria, after two members of the public reported me for not wearing a helmet while out for a bike ride - there's your anti establishment spirit in action.
Not sure that has much to do with whether people are “anti establishment,” though. Some folk are just tired of having to deal with the consequences of others lack of judgement. Most people soaking up the resources of emergency departments on a weekend are there due to totally avoidable situations.

Old 09-12-2022, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCC_1 View Post
You only need look at the last few years with Brexit and that clown of a PM to realise they still haven't
realised they are not the centre of the universe anymore. The Brexit chat about how they would replace EU trade with Commonwealth was so quixotic it really beggared belief that a country could actually fool itself into such nonsense. It really highlighted how Britain sees the Commonwealth v how the rest of the Commonwealth sees the Commonwealth.

(That is not all British or even all English, but there is a substantial minority who still crave the relevance of the empire)
Nothing much to do with Commonwealth. (Australia/UK Free Trade Agreement?) Large swathes of the population were fed a lie. (especially around immigration and NHS, besides economic) The expectation was worldwide opportunities, especially with North America.

Old 09-13-2022, 12:49 AM

22,216 posts, read 21,658,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakery Hill View Post
Not sure that has much to do with whether people are “anti establishment,” though. Some folk are just tired of having to deal with the consequences of others lack of judgement. Most people soaking up the resources of emergency departments on a weekend are there due to totally avoidable situations.
The poor wee things! - life becomes so draining for some people, because some a-hole won't wear a helmet.

More lives would be saved if people in moving vehicles wore helmets - wonder if that will become the next emergency?

Old 09-13-2022, 01:24 AM

3,797 posts, read 2,993,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielsa1775 View Post
Looks like the Queens birthday holiday in qld which is held in the first week of October will proceed as the kings birthday holiday.
Yeah, same in WA apparently.
Interesting the Queens birthday is different in each state, and never corresponded to her actual birthday anyway, which was in April.
I’ve got absolutely no idea when King Charles birthday is.

Old 09-13-2022, 02:50 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,016,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCC_1 View Post
What does it do? Actual tangible things not vague platitudes about freedom, prosperity and peace.
Perhaps you should actually look at the link!!

Old 09-13-2022, 04:01 AM

7,855 posts, read 10,285,979 times
Quote:
It’s certainly in less supply nowadays, the reaction to Novak DJokovic proved that
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand