Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2023, 05:48 PM

50,770 posts, read 24,270,853 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
From what I see people seem to be moving more toward a humanistic type "spirituality" approach instead of an authoritative religious approach.
I agree with that assessment. I certainly see that in my old hometown. Our catholic church used to have 16 masses a week, now they have 1 mass a week. I think when the church started telling parishoners who they could and couldn't vote for, that many were not willing to swallow that sort of dictatorial approach, and the drift began. The priest sex scandals took another toll. It's been downhill ever since.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2023, 07:05 AM

21 posts, read 10,396 times
You are ignoring the factor of evangelicals. They drew away a considerable number of catholics in my home town.

Old 09-09-2023, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theresa_N View Post
You are ignoring the factor of evangelicals. They drew away a considerable number of catholics in my home town.
According to Pew, it's about 10%.

Old 09-09-2023, 10:38 AM

15,853 posts, read 6,311,569 times
Quote:
Some are just anti social to begin with IMO.

Old 09-10-2023, 08:25 AM

18,757 posts, read 11,789,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Many people don't even think about these topics. They simply go with what they've always known.
I began to question religion after my brief stint with going to church. My questions were only answered with " you must have faith." Well no, I'm quite capable of thinking, reading ,and researching. It's just not in my DNA to be a good sheeple.

Old 09-10-2023, 10:03 PM

35,057 posts, read 31,266,455 times
Quote:
While these people may have shifted from one flavor of Christianity to another - from the perspective of the atheist, that doesn’t matter. Both “sides†are becoming more hostile to nonbelievers as time goes on.

Old 09-27-2023, 06:13 AM

50,087 posts, read 20,697,383 times
Coming in cold, the Op - well, who cares what Christians say about atheism. They know nothing about it and don't want to know. They were wrong with 'New atheism' (which is just old atheism that refused to keep quiet) and are wrong that New (or old) atheism is dead, or there is any New, new atheism. I don't even think its' ignorance, it is propaganda, and what a situation with a religion claiming the High Moral ground resorting to the dirty tricks of political propaganda. But the New New Christianity is now all about political propaganda. As Critical Drinker says "Believe That!".

But we seem to have got onto the decline of religion. It's probably too soon (if ever) for rival religions to band together (last time was to counter the Shout of Doubt after the Tsunami) to stand against the threat of the atheists (cooled down after the last panic following the Pe review).

I imagine with even more politicisation of religion, they are going to be less tolerant of wrong believers than ever.

I am always bemused by the continued support of Catholics for that religion. You'd think with the dirty washing of the Vatican, hung out to dry, they'd have had enough, but they just carry on with faith. Maybe a 'Where else are we to go? We know you have the secrets of Life' situation. Mind, it was the scandal in Ireland that definitely started a move to shift Catholicism from a position of influence in Ireland. No wonder they now have the world No 1 Rugby team.

"Now thou hast turned thy face from the shills and liars of that fake religion, my children, thou mayest thrash the Springboks."

Old 09-27-2023, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
Coming in cold, the Op - well, who cares what Christians say about atheism. They know nothing about it and don't want to know. They were wrong with 'New atheism' (which is just old atheism that refused to keep quiet) and are wrong that New (or old) atheism is dead, or there is any New, new atheism. I don't even think its' ignorance, it is propaganda, and what a situation with a religion claiming the High Moral ground resorting to the dirty tricks of political propaganda. But the New New Christianity is now all about political propaganda. As Critical Drinker says "Believe That!".

But we seem to have got onto the decline of religion. It's probably too soon (if ever) for rival religions to band together (last time was to counter the Shout of Doubt after the Tsunami) to stand against the threat of the atheists (cooled down after the last panic following the Pe review).

I imagine with even more politicisation of religion, they are going to be less tolerant of wrong believers than ever.

I am always bemused by the continued support of Catholics for that religion. You'd think with the dirty washing of the Vatican, hung out to dry, they'd have had enough, but they just carry on with faith. Maybe a 'Where else are we to go? We know you have the secrets of Life' situation. Mind, it was the scandal in Ireland that definitely started a move to shift Catholicism from a position of influence in Ireland. No wonder they now have the world No 1 Rugby team.

"Now thou hast turned thy face from the shills and liars of that fake religion, my children, thou mayest thrash the Springboks."
I'm very glad yo are back, and as usual with your excellent insights.

Old 09-27-2023, 03:45 PM

50,087 posts, read 20,697,383 times
Hi Phet. good to see you all...and ol' Mystic posting approvals. Same ol' Mystic or has he had an Epiphany?

Old 09-27-2023, 11:19 PM

16,765 posts, read 4,971,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
Hi Phet. good to see you all...and ol' Mystic posting approvals. Same ol' Mystic or has he had an Epiphany?
No, it is the same old dance, with the same old excuses that lead back to where we need to explain why is arguments are very bad.

Are you tired of the chamber music, and returned for the chamber pot philosophy, or is this just a casual visit?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism