Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2023, 11:15 PM

19,435 posts, read 15,276,690 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I don't recognize his name, but I know the song.

ETA: I just looked it up and found out why. I only know Albert Collins singing it.
I just searched him up and watched a video.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2024, 02:53 PM

17,552 posts, read 39,186,507 times
Older thread, but thinking about this subject so I am posting. For context, I am a 74 (and one half lol) female in pretty good health but with aches and pains due to a past broken knee, a deteriorating spine and arthritis. At this age I am going to indulge a bit within reason. I enjoy nightly at least two glasses of chardonnay, and sometimes three. I am tall and not dainty and don't feel this is too much. I am never drunk and my liver enzymes are perfect. Also, the alcohol actual keeps my blood sugar #s down (I am diabetic.)

I don't believe all the crap out there about a glass or two causing cancer. Who sets these ridiculous limits, anyway. When you get to a certain age I think you might as well enjoy yourself because at this point we have earned it. I never get "drunk" and I never drive or do anything risky after drinking anyway.

So on that note, I am going to pour myself my second glass tonight. Cheers everyone!

Old 04-29-2024, 07:41 PM

7,182 posts, read 4,581,322 times
I don’t drink at all anymore. I have HBP and tachycardia and know that alcohol makes both conditions worse. Plus cancer runs strongly on my mom’s side of the family so decided it’s not worth it. Definitely an individual decision for people to make.

Old 04-29-2024, 07:55 PM

11,591 posts, read 6,072,690 times
I have never been a big drinker. I am way under the guidelines for alcohol intake of no more than 2 drinks per day for men. I am closer to 1 beer a week.

I enjoy beer with some types of cuisine like Mexican food or pizza, but I don't indulge in a beer every time I have such food. If beer was 100% healthy for you, I would drink it more often.

I have always heard that alcohol kills brain cells. As I age, I am concerned that even moderate alcohol intake can accerate dementia and Alzheimers but I have never seen a proven connection with moderate drinking, so there is that.

I also avoid alcohol too close to bed time. It disturbs REM sleep.

Old 04-30-2024, 12:25 PM

12,540 posts, read 9,625,539 times
My regular hard drinking days were really like ages 17-22... and then occasionally up until around age 30. Since then, I have a drink now and then, but especially since I have gotten into late middle age - 50s and now 60s, I have tapered more, and I don't get drunk at all, and I only occasionally have a beer or some wine - I'll buy a six-pack or a bottle of wine maybe in 2-3 months.

Old Yesterday, 12:17 PM

20,951 posts, read 28,472,843 times
when I was in my early 20's I would go out to clubs or bars and drink until I got a buzz. never drank and drove. Now that I am 53 I have a drink maybe once a month. My mom is a recovering Alcoholic ( 5 years sober) plus my husband says I get goofy if I have more than one drink LOL

Old Today, 10:02 AM

10,916 posts, read 7,424,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
So why do you drink? At all.
Something triggers your desire for alcohol. Something.
For me, it's the idea of relaxing and destressing. Put my feet up, have a cocktail, ahhhhhhh.

Now I just put my feet up, have a glass of water. Ah.

Old Today, 12:02 PM

12,540 posts, read 9,625,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
It helps me to sleep.

When I am completely sober, often my mind will race and worry about things keeping me from falling to sleep. With a buzz on I can get to sleep.
:
:
If that's really the main reason you're drinking - you might try a cup of tea with Valerian root extract in it as a little healthier alternative*... another thing that can help with insomnia is mindfulness techniques like a "body scan" and/or a focus on breathing** - these are deceptively simple techniques that work by taking your attention away from complex worldly thoughts that might be excitatory or worrisome and replace that with e.g. an elemental attention to the rise and fall of your chest as you take in each breath.
*"5 Mindfulness Breathing Exercises You Can Do Anywhere, Anytime"
https://www.realsimple.com/health/mi...hing-exercises

**For example, Sleepytime Extra - the "Extra" part of the name is the Valerian so be sure to look for that... is pretty widely available and reasonably priced.
https://www.target.com/p/celestial-s...t/-/A-13327048

Nighty-Night Extra is another good one, again the "Extra" denotes Valerian
https://www.target.com/p/traditional...t_adv_xasd0002

Last edited by OutdoorLover; Today at 12:16 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages