Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2023, 03:15 PM

50,396 posts, read 64,095,870 times

Advertisements

We just enjoy the ritual of cocktail hour. It seems so…civilized. I’ve had cancer twice, but otherwise pretty healthy. Hubby has had a few issues, but is pretty healthy too. We operate under the, “do whatever you damn please, because we’re all going to die anyway”, mode.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2023, 03:40 PM

8,784 posts, read 5,083,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Hubby and I have 2 1/2 manhattans every night at 5:00. We use a lot of ice, so I think they are watered down a bit. We are in our 70s, so I have heard that we might eventually die, but we will see.
Cheers! My MIL loved her manhattans.

Old 12-01-2023, 12:21 PM

335 posts, read 156,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
So why do you drink? At all.
Something triggers your desire for alcohol. Something.
The taste would be my first thought.

As for the weekly consumption guidelines... The Health Canada revised its alcohol consumption guidelines right about the time they reduced prices on legal marijuana and jacked up taxes on alcohol. Maybe it is a coincidence, but I think they may have had an ulterior motive for doing so. The new guidelines are 2 standard drinks per week. I don't know anyone who would call themself a drinker and follow the government's advice on that lol. Like my Irish grandmother used to say: "Nobody goes out for one!"

Old 12-01-2023, 03:00 PM

37,496 posts, read 61,477,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
So why do you drink? At all.
Something triggers your desire for alcohol. Something.
It helps me to sleep.

When I am completely sober, often my mind will race and worry about things keeping me from falling to sleep. With a buzz on I can get to sleep.

Quote:
... I belong to the same club as your neurologist. I believe no one should drink every day, or even three days a week. A drink a week is about all.
There are 1.5 oz in a drink. Your three drinks are 4.5 oz. In a month you drink 135 oz of..whatever.
A Fifth contains 25.6 oz; a quart contains 32 oz.
Yeah. You drink a lot.
With my body weight, I keep my BAC below 0.03

In the USA most people drink a combination of: Acetone, Methanol, Ethyl acetate, Ethanol, Propanols, Butanol, and Amyl alcohol.

I pay attention to only drink Ethanol.

Those other ingredients cause hangovers as they are poisonous.

Old 12-02-2023, 01:02 PM

88,668 posts, read 84,959,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
I see recommendations like 'two drinks per day' with nothing related to the weight of the drinker. Is there any reason applying the same standard to a 100lb woman and a 275lb linebacker makes sense?
Thanks. That's what I don't get, either. I am a six-foot-tall woman, overweight, but not obese. I don't think I should have to sip one five-ounce glass of wine per day because that's all some petite 100-pound woman can tolerate.

I don't drink every day. Maybe two or three times a week, but when I do, it's usually two glasses of wine, unless it is a Friday night when my friend and I are hanging out eating and playing Rummikub. From around 6 pm to midnight, we easily knock off two bottles, which is about three or four glasses each, depending on the size of the glass. She's 83, 18 years my senior. I'm following her example for longevity.

Old 12-03-2023, 06:16 PM

19,435 posts, read 15,276,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Thanks. That's what I don't get, either. I am a six-foot-tall woman, overweight, but not obese. I don't think I should have to sip one five-ounce glass of wine per day because that's all some petite 100-pound woman can tolerate.

I don't drink every day. Maybe two or three times a week, but when I do, it's usually two glasses of wine, unless it is a Friday night when my friend and I are hanging out eating and playing Rummikub. From around 6 pm to midnight, we easily knock off two bottles, which is about three or four glasses each, depending on the size of the glass. She's 83, 18 years my senior. I'm following her example for longevity.
We recently discovered Jimmy Liggins. There's a song of his called "I ain't drunk, I'm just drinkin'."

Old 12-03-2023, 06:36 PM

2,080 posts, read 1,074,000 times
As someone who has struggled with alcohol for decades (more bad phases than good), I can happily say that I went 20 days without a lick of vodka (called Vodka of the Gods! similar to Stoli). Today I decided to have to indulge, not to get plastered but to experience the joy of that beautiful buzz. I'm not in a depressed state so its all good.

Old 12-03-2023, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaOfGrass View Post
We recently discovered Jimmy Liggins. There's a song of his called "I ain't drunk, I'm just drinkin'."
I know that song.

Old 12-03-2023, 07:23 PM

19,435 posts, read 15,276,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I know that song.
Really? I don't know how we missed it (him). Not because of the subject matter, lol, but just the genre/style. I'm surprised my parents never played him. He's right up their alley, too.

Old 12-03-2023, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaOfGrass View Post
Really? I don't know how we missed it (him). Not because of the subject matter, lol, but just the genre/style. I'm surprised my parents never played him. He's right up their alley, too.
I don't recognize his name, but I know the song.

ETA: I just looked it up and found out why. I only know Albert Collins singing it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages